Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Did you ever read somebody else's private diary without their permission?
Yes 15 39.47%
No 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree28Likes

Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

2878: Mortified w/ Dave Nadelberg

Reading diaries for a living; Anne Frank's famous diary; Dave's parents who died of cancer; famed designer and mother Kate Spade commits suicide; Keith's dead ex-girlfriend; Dave's fellow tenant threatens everyone's lives; how to get help

Guest:
Dave Nadelberg

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

does it count as private if the person had a "secret" DeadJournal with the same name as their LiveJournal, so you just searched for it and found all their edgier, sadder posts on it?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Keith, you misquoted the suicide note or maybe it was misquoted in the source article you found it in.

"Bea — I have always loved you. This is not your fault. Ask Daddy!"

It could be read in a different way. Perhaps she is suggesting that her daughter should speak to her father about the fact that this whole thing is not her fault. And she should lean on him for support. Only the family would know what she meant, if anyone did at all.

He has a statement as well:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/s...statement.html

edit: ah, geez. Sorry for your loss, Keith
Pintman likes this.

Last edited by thirteen; 06-08-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Well, this was a hell of an episode to listen to after just learning of Anthony Bourdain's suicide. #shellshocked
Old 06-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

"... what it's really good for is your kid's kids ..."

Dave NAAAAAAAAAILED it. I started interviewing (video podcasting?) with my Oma in 2002. I never knew either of my grandfathers, they'd died before I was born, so only had pictures and always wondered what they sounded like, what they moved like. When they were alive of course the limited tech made it way harder to shoot film let alone audio, but I realized I could let future generations of my family know their grandparents and great grandparents in a way so many of us Generation Xers never really could.

My Oma died in 2006 and to this day the most precious thing in the entire world to me is the videos I have of her telling stories of growing up in 1920s-30s Indonesia (a Dutch colony at the time), of what her parents were like, of being a POW for several years after the Japanese invaded much of Indonesia in WW2, of bringing up 4 kids as a young widow and new immigrant to NZ, etc, etc. She was a fucking badass and pure love to me and the fact I can hit play on one of these videos and see her laugh and hear her voice(s) is worth literally more than a babillion dollars.

I've been doing the same thing with my folks for over a decade now, doing half an hour here a couple of hours there a couple of times a year, collecting stories so that if the world and/or my fam still exists in 2068 and any of them have the same curiosity I did they have a beautiful option I never had. Not only that, only a witless imbecile doesn't live with the knowledge that any life can end in any moment. A peaceful, natural death at 96 is promised nobody. Once someone is gone there's nothing like video/audio of them to keep their spirit as present as possible.

So if you're lucky enough to have parents who are still alive and who aren't assholes and you aren't recording them like this, or at least convincing them to record themselves doing this, you're fucking up, not just for yourself, but for future generations of your tribe.

ETA: Sorry to hear about your friend/ex Keith. As soon as Chemda mentioned she's the loud laugh on your first album everyone assumes is Chemda I knew exactly what she was talking about. I love that laugh.
Keith, The Girl, Lanfear and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Bucho; 06-08-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just watched Coco last night. This episode (and this thread) fit right into the theme.
Keith likes this.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Please don't kill yourself people.
TYPE LOUDER APIA
Attached Images
File Type: gif anthony bourdain.gif (968.5 KB, 7 views)
Apia likes this.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

$150 for jeans or a shirt?

Nah, take your ass to JCPenny or Burlington, Chemda.
Maybe $70 if I have a coupon for casual male XL
Keith and Shanateemanatee like this.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Great show. One of your best. Thanks as always.
Keith and The Girl like this.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerLakes View Post
$150 for jeans or a shirt?

Nah, take your ass to JCPenny or Burlington, Chemda.
Maybe $70 if I have a coupon for casual male XL
Agreed. I don't think I've ever spent close to that much on jeans. They are $25 at Target.

Nobody sells wallets for $500 because of inflation or because they are so high quality. They sell them at that price because they figured out how to market it so well they can trick people into spending that much.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.