Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Oksana Grigorieva's Beautiful Heartache
Thumbs Up 76 45.51%
Thumbs Down 91 54.49%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

I know how to drive stick! Woohoo, I'm a man. My husband will be so pleased.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Manual vs Automatic

First let's get this out of the way. The majority of people who drive a stick shift do so because they're LESS EXPENSIVE than an automatic. Some of these people don't even know that's why because they've always driven a stick. That's what they learned to drive and got accustomed to it, but the reason they learned on that is because their parents bought the less expensive care.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each though. If you live in an urban area a manual is a bitch, especially in traffic. With a manual you get better acceleration and have more control over it, plus it's also good in different weather/environments. Some people just like driving a stick because it gives them something to do while driving.

My best friend always drove stick since we were 16 and he'd make fun of me for driving an automatic. He did teach me to drive his car for times that I was less fucked up, but that's another story. We lost touch for about 6 years and re-connected. Imagine my shock that he now drives an automatic, it's funny what having a little more spending money and growing up does to people.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

The broad (in the e-mail) wasn't expressing herself well when she said she wants her guy to argue more. I think the best way to respond to a girl when they ask for some input is to ask them what they had in mind. That way you are letting her know you're open and willing to discuss stuff without having to fake an interest in something you don't care about.

Btw, I looked up "argument" and found this interesting:

Main Entry: ar·gu·ment
Function: noun
1. obsolete : an outward sign : INDICATION

Maybe dude needs to indicate that he cares?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampokes View Post
Hey British people. I lived in Scotland for a while and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverybody drove stick. Not everybody like "so many people" but everybody as in I did not see a single automatic in over a year. Why? Does it have something to do with that particular terrain?

I should just google this but you guys are way funnier than google.
This is true, I've only ever met one person with an automatic in the UK and that was my grandmother when she got old and it was easier to handle.

A lot of it is to do with the car type. In USA it is common to have much larger cars generally which a conventional automatic transmission works best with. Given the american penchant for massive engines, it is not surprising they choose auto. The smaller cars, with smaller, but more highly-tuned engines that are preferred in Europe are not ideal for fitment of a conventional automatic transmission. A manual transmission is lighter, cheaper to build and has greater mechanical efficiency (so the car has lower fuel consumption) than an automatic transmission. (Also gas or petrol is more expensive in Europe than in the US).

Also in the UK at least (not sure about the rest of europe) if you take your driving test on an automatic then you can only drive automatics. If you take your test on a manual you can drive both. The result of this is that nearly everyone who learns to drive in the UK does so on a manual.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Like durrrr.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by archicat View Post
[SIZE=2][COLOR=black] In USA it is common to have much larger cars generally which a conventional automatic transmission works best with.
Our cars a large? We've seen your mini coopers, you're all driving around in a Hot Wheels. I drive a small car and it dwarfs the shit I saw in European Vacation.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Oksana's song seems like it'd fit right in in a modern musical like Moulin Rouge, with choreography and a character to get behind. I thought it was cool, but in that sorta way.

And I can totally understand that Thursday is the most hated work day of the standard 5 day work week. I called in yesterday cuz of how disgusted with my work life I get. Proof. There it is.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampokes View Post
Especially those awesome old boats they drive around in the Mad Mens
Well now that I know you're basing your opinion off of tv....
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

To the poll.

I've heard worse. No thanks to her singing. I do like the piano though. I think she should stick to her native tongue. I'll bet her voice may be much better in her own language rather than English.

I won't under stand a goddamn thing, but it may be better. I can't find any of her stuff, specially this song in Russian. I'm sure it exists somewhere I just suck.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

My first car was a stick shift, but I've had automatic so long now that I'd have to re-learn if I did get into another manual. And of course every one that you step into is slightly different so you have to learn where that sweet spot on the clutch is, etc. They suck in stop and go traffic and hilly areas. Even if you're good at driving them you still end up killing it every once and awhile. I'm definitely an automatic girl now.

Also, trying to tie driving ability to masculinity is retarded, IMHO.