Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Should there be another American Civil War?
Yes 66 52.38%
No 60 47.62%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal View Post
Look into the "no true Scotsman" fallacy, because you just employed it with your post.
I meant quite the opposite. Keith posits that fallacy when he states christians are all X because his experience of Catholics is X. I was pointing out that not only are Catholics not the prime example for other christians, but that some of your more fundy types don't even consider them real christians.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulagu View Post
I don't think God is pro gay marriage. I think he is obilivious to that. Marriage is something humans came up with. A biological creator is simply concerned with procreation so the species continues.
I was lazy; god-who-is-love wants people who love one another to be happy together. Procreation is a lovely benefit if that comes of it but if you say that is the reason for mate-pairing then you are reducing us to breeders.

Quote:
Aesops Fabels, in NO WAY are fact. They are cautionary tales. And there are plenty of Christians that believe every word of the Bible is God ordained and therefor happened exactly the way they said it happened. Though I'm definitely inclined to believe they were tales passed down over the generations.
Read more carefully; I wrote that Aesop and parts of the bible convey TRUTH, not fact. Grimms Fairy Tales and Shakespeare's sonnets tell truths but very few facts. I believe that much of the bible teaches truths through storytelling, history with editorials, and poetry.

Quote:
I don't know many Christians that don't consider Catholics Christians.
Like Keith, just because you haven't experienced it, you don't believe it to be true? Just Google "are Catholics christian" and you'll see. e.g. http://www.born-again-christian.info/catholics.htm

(Full disclosure: I'm a liberal Catholic Christian who doesn't go to church because my priest is an ass who didn't want to deal with my questions.)

Stay classy, San Diego!

Last edited by Lura; 09-05-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Sorry to interrupt the primate discussion, but does anyone know where to find the books of the Bible that were omitted? [I'm kinda sorta looking at you, Stulagu...]
It's a starting point, but here is a pretty good Wiki article about the development of the canon of the bible (list of books). I know it's just Wiki, but it follows what I know from my own studies. Development of the Christian biblical canon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Proto-Evangelion of James is entertaining. I believe that is the one where little toddler Jesus and his buddy make clay birds. His buddy's is prettier so Jesus makes his own come to life and fly around.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #114 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lura View Post
Full disclosure: I'm a liberal Catholic Christian who doesn't go to church because my priest is an ass who didn't want to deal with my questions.
I follow. I'm a liberal Nazi.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #115 (permalink)

But there's no such... Hey, I see what you did there. That's funny.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #116 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard102 View Post
Any book that outright makes shit up at least half the time is high on the list of suspicious bullshit.
what is made up? were you there to experience it? it is made up in your mind, you choose not to believe it. there are other cultures that have stories just as suspicious as Christianity. I've experienced things I can't explain and would sound suspicious to others...I think this is so above anyone's mental capabilities and both sides are arguing just as fervently for things they can't prove.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #117 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lura View Post
I was lazy; god-who-is-love wants people who love one another to be happy together. Procreation is a lovely benefit if that comes of it but if you say that is the reason for mate-pairing then you are reducing us to breeders.
We are just breeders, that is what every living organism is made to do. What else do you think we are? preservers of the earth? we obviously aren't here to make things better. We are biological organisms, even the smallest organism has a job...to multiply.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #118 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

"We're a virus with shoes" - Bill Hicks
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
We are just breeders, that is what every living organism is made to do. What else do you think we are? preservers of the earth? we obviously aren't here to make things better. We are biological organisms, even the smallest organism has a job...to multiply.
But to reduce us to JUST breeders discounts the human mind and soul. Mozart had children but I think most people would agree that his primary contribution to the human race was his music.

Do you think infertile people should not be allowed to marry?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
what is made up? were you there to experience it?
You're right, I should probably have been there to know for sure someone can be killed and then live again, or that some dude made fish a bread appear out of thin air, or that a man can defy physics and walk on water, that fires can talk to people, that one man made a zoo boat and then repopulated the planet shortly thereafter, and that one man, and a woman made from his leftover parts are our ancestors and we're just a product of inbreeding where the complications of such inbreeding is only apparent in the last few centuries.

All these things are so up in the air as to if they could happen in reality or not?