Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Old 12-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
mkl

Technically...MD5 being broken has no effect on passwords that are hashed, salted or unsalted. It is a collision attack. It allows the attacker to find 2 messages that hash to the same value, but they don't get to choose the plaintext, or hash. It does not help you find a plaintext that hases to a value ( so given a password hash it does not help you find the cleartext password).

This has implications for message signing, and less likely file integrity, less for password hashing.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo
Not all of us are lazy. But then again, some of us have the luxury of just using

md5($password)

for one way encryption.

Laziness is not bothering to use a salt.
I have that luxury also. I'm not talking about the password being cracked its just lazy when I store the password in the database in plain text because I don't feel like writing the resetPassword and senEmail functions.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
mkl

Ok ok, we're all computer dorks. I can feel the normal people's eyes glazing over. Lets stop with the computer babble in this thread.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl
Ok ok, we're all computer dorks. I can feel the normal people's eyes glazing over. Lets stop with the computer babble in this thread.
You guys were still talking? I unsubscribed to this thread a week ago.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #35 (permalink)

MD5 hash collisions in CAS archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl
Technically...MD5 being broken has no effect on passwords that are hashed, salted or unsalted. It is a collision attack. It allows the attacker to find 2 messages that hash to the same value, but they don't get to choose the plaintext, or hash.
My big problem with MD5 is that it is not sufficiently collision resistant when used in a Content Addressed Storage product like EMC's Centera. If you have a very large number of files, such as with an enterprise email archive, there is a significant possibility that some assets will be lost as subsequent files which are different but which happen to have the same MD5 hash will be discarded without notice.

EMC recognizes this, and offers to disable CAS space savings to fix it, but I prefer the approach of using SHA-256 or using SHA-1 plus MD5 like the competitors are doing.

More important, however, is how one is able to move ones hands quickly enough to catch one's ejaculations while masturbating. Now, that's coordination, not to mention composure under pressure. Keet should try out for the Yankees.

Guerre
Old 12-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #36 (permalink)

I use rot-13 for everthing, including catching my ejaculate.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Postagulous
... brilliant way to do the show. With two recorder things...
Agreed. Far more clever and quicker to get up and running than going through the notions of having to get a high speed connection up and running and then Skyping or getting a phone bridge into the computers line-in. You record your side. I record my side and then one of us will mash them together. Done.

I think its fitting for Hefner that be buried next to Monroe. She was his first playmate and launched the magazine. Dont know how she would have felt about it. Not that I care.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #38 (permalink)

The finger nail thing, white spots, lack of calcium.