Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Fraternities
Thumbs up 9 14.75%
Thumbs down 52 85.25%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree65Likes

Old 03-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
To be fair to Justine Sacco, she wasn't an up-and-coming comic, but her tweets WERE all in the same vein and sense of humour. Everyone's sooooo offended these days.
This is who she worked for - Our Brands | IAC/InterActive Corp

Maybe it was a College Humour bit?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #62 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I don't think it is a valid excuse to say OTI and IRL.

The internet IS real life. We are all on the internet, most of it ALL day. Internet "trolls" are no different from everyday assholes, except that people are frustrated by not being able to see who's being an asshole to them, and possibly pick up a few visual clues about whether this trolling is just a joke.

If you are an asshole on the internet is is not a big leap to say you're probably a bit of an asshole in real life, and it is reasonable to expect real life consequences for your actions over the internet.

The clip in today's show of the cop being wound up during his COD game illustrates all these points IMO.
Keith, Sparrow and devohawk like this.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
ya know, both our regions were English penal colonies. at least we had enough good sense to not have picked up cockney.
Hurr hurr hurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
If you are an asshole on the internet is is not a big leap to say you're probably a bit of an asshole in real life, and it is reasonable to expect real life consequences for your actions over the internet.
I would love to argue that first point, but unfortunately I can't. Except for the "a bit" part, I guess.

All you arseholes are making good points about the consequences. My only issue is proportionality. Losing a job for being a dickhead? I guess so. People need to be aware that it's a brave new world and no matter where you are and what you're going, some cunt is probably watching & recording you. Fuck the world, fuck facebook, and fuck the internet.

One other question - some dude selling hotdogs at a baseball game - do we really not want to buy a hotdog from him if he sent a stupid tweet? How does the "I can't work with this person" argument stack up for this poor cunt?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #64 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Even stadium hot dog vendors work with people, goofball.
devohawk likes this.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Even stadium hot dog vendors work with people, goofball.
No shit, sherlock.

But you're not in close contact with him, not in meetings with him, not emailing him; so him picking up his hot dogs is pretty much it.

I wonder what the guy who walks around yelling "BUD BUDLITE" has on his Facebook??? Better get him checked out ASAP.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 AM   #66 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

I suspect that most companies would not like to have anyone representing them, even if it's even selling hotdogs, who have the character trait that they dole out hideous abuse. It might affect business if he does it on the job.
devohawk likes this.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:16 AM   #67 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
No shit, sherlock.

But you're not in close contact with him, not in meetings with him, not emailing him; so him picking up his hot dogs is pretty much it.
Well of course, Copernicus.

But other people are.

I think you get it, you just don't want to admit that you're one of these shitheads that can't help themselves but be an asshole.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Well of course, Copernicus.

Quote:
I think you get it, you just don't want to admit that you're one of these shitheads that can't help themselves but be an asshole.
Nope, I have no problem admitting that I'm an arsehole IRL and OTI.

You've managed to monetise your arseholery; to the benefit of all of us.

However you and the eternally patient Birdie have made me think, you cunts.

I think the core issue here is context.
You wouldn't (I assume) have told your Batman shooting joke at a memorial service for the victims; however when you tweet it out, it gets retweeted and someone at the service reads it, gets hurt, and fights back; and this is where the "Internet is Real Life" argument breaks down.

I wouldn't scream out "OPEN YOUR EYES YOU BLIND FUCKING CUNT" in an office, but if I'm at a football game, it's fine.

When I tweet/post stuff, everyone reads it in different environments, and without the environment of the person tweeting. They react, and the shit hits the fan, and people lose their jobs etc.

Obviously, saying "I'm gonna rape your kid" is a tough one to contextualise, though...

I'd just like people to not be sooo fucking sensitive.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #69 (permalink)

Context, right. Keith didn't @ his Batman joke to the victims' families. Also, as a comedian, he gets some leniency. Comedians regularly offend, shock value is what brings out the laugh. Keith would offend me often if I took him seriously, but he's a comedian, these guys weren't. We listen to him for the shock and the subsequent funny.
The daughter: even though we've been 17, and thought we were adults at 17, we weren't. Studies that the show has cited saying that the brain doesn't fully develop until 25 are basically backed up by the fact that your (my) car insurance prices go down at the age of 25. She is still a teenage girl who shouldn't be threatened, whether they mean it or not, by adult men who have a beef against her father.
As adult men using the internet, they should know better than to be crude towards a minor. Once you hit send, it is not a thought, it affects someone. Especially when you @ them or their parents. When they lose their jobs their life isn't "ruined", they can still find jobs with employers who aren't offended, and if it's hard, maybe they learn to not be assholes who make crude, SHITTY jokes towards minors. Or anyone. If it was a "good" job, you have to behave to keep a good job. Yelling something rude at a game is not the same as putting it on the web. You can hope for some anonymity yelling in a stadium, not when you direct your thought and your name towards someone.

It was grown men bullying a child whom they've probably never even met, to get at her dad. They have been given a lesson in growing up.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devohawk View Post
Context, right. Keith didn't @ his Batman joke to the victims' families.
Who did the White/AIDS lady @ her tweet to? Some black guy with AIDS?

Quote:
Also, as a comedian, he gets some leniency.
OK, but i'll need to see his license and registration. I assume there's a regulatory body who looks after who can call themselves a comedian, otherwise anyone could do it...

Quote:
She is still a teenage girl who shouldn't be threatened, whether they mean it or not, by adult men who have a beef against her father.
You can't tell me she wasn't asking for it.

Quote:
You can hope for some anonymity yelling in a stadium, not when you direct your thought and your name towards someone.
I strongly object to the fact that I have no argument to this point. Fuck you.