Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DaveNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
A good argument .... which is why we have the mess in this area. Israel and Palestine need to both have a recognised place to exist, limited by recognised borders such as those in previous resolutions.

History has given different people "residential rights" to various areas over the years. In some cases (like the British Empire) it was temporary, and the residents regained control. In others it is transient ... and previous residents are permanently displaced. In these cases, claiming a 2000+ year-old God-given right of return is quite a difficult story to defend. But most of the Western countries played a part in this bugger's muddle. Just as most of the Middle East has practiced religion-based residency rules as you point out.

I would personally like to visit the birthplace of Jesus, which logically (if we apply Biblical land rights) should be "owned" by the Christians. Instead it is treated by irreverence by both Muslims and Jews alike, and Christian pilgrims can be caught in the crossfire, literally.

The point about Russian jews (and some of them were not Jewish, but simply migrants from Russia claiming jewish faith to get a new life) was the irony of an immigrant seeking a higher lifestyle displacing a resident to a concentration camp (refugee camp). The further irony of Russia is that Israel was financing, or at least assisting Georgia in its tussle with Russia recently .... hard to choose friends these days, isn't it.
1. Show me the passage in the New Testament that lays claim to the land of Israel for Christianity. Jesus never makes claim to land, but rather the kingdom of heaven. He explicitly states his is not an earthly kingdom. Land theology really only belongs to two of the three Abrahamic faiths, and Islam appropriated a good degree of the idea from Judaism. Land theology only ever became important once Christians were powerful enough to conquer. You're confusing military power with scripture.

That said, even if the right is not given theologically why is a right of return for a people expelled 2000 years ago wrong? Is there a time limit for returning? If so, why can't Israel just stall until Palestinians lose all claim to their land?

2. Russian Jews immigrating to Israel didn't result in anyone getting SENT to Gaza. Displacement can occur in the West Bank, though.

As for Israel selling arms to Georgia, Georgia imported arms from many nations friendly with the US, Israel being one of those friends. Russian Jews weren't leaving Russia because Russia was such a great place to be a Jew. My ancestors are proof of that. You seem to think that all those Russian Jews make Israel have great ties with Russia. Not so. It's not like all those Jews left Russia because Russia was friendly with Israel, then Israel switched sides and backed Georgia.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC, baby!
Posts: 12,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
Hey, aren't you always shitting on Rooney when he doesn't know about stuff he's talking about? Since research is so easy why don't you try it once.
Should we be focusing more on the issues?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 870
Israel is actually a bit larger than New Jersey

Size Comparison Map of Israel and New Jersey

But four hours across and eight hours long? Uh, no. 250 miles north to south or so. Maybe 100 miles across at its widest point.

Jus' sayin'
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #54 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cretaceous Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,356
Andy Rooney is on 60 Minutes. Keith and Chemda are on Keith and The Girl. Where, evidently, "Keith and his girlfriend talk shit." I'm guessing 60 Minutes purports to have a little bit more journalistic intent. What's more, Rooney prepares his segments, while political topics on KATG frequently come up spontaneously.

I've been looking through this thread, Mr. DaveNJ, and you seem to have ignored my post in order to go pick on weaker arguments. Are we having a serious discussion, or a Push DaveNJ's Agenda silly time? You're continuing with your argument, despite the fact that I pointed out flagrant flaws in your reasoning. There's more you're adding the pile, but I don't see a point in continuing if you're just going to be a rigid robot that defeats what it can, and side-steps what it can't.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 870
For those who care, here's a good backgrounder on the whole damn mess over there. It all started with the damned Balfour Declaration. In fact, most of the conflicts in that part of the world date back to that document and other 'solutions' the British provided as they slowly pulled back from their Empire.

- India-Pakistan-Kashmir
- Israel-Palestine
- Iraq-Iran and the Sunni-Shia issue

History of the Palestine Problem
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #56 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hayroob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroitish
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
3. Israel has plenty of ex-Russians. So what? A citizen of a nation is not necessarily born there. In our Civil War many Union soldiers were German or Irish immigrants fighting men with long ties to their respective southern states. A citizen is a citizen. Nations can enact different immigration policies if they so choose.
Being in the land where your people can make a direct provable claim to and then being chased out by people who claim your land because they share a common faith with people who lived there before any modern land rights were established is hard to stomach. I think that Israel has a right to exist but they need to coexist with Palestine and recognize that any historical claims to the land aren't really going to hold water. Showing up and claiming occupied land as your own and then acting indignant is not a smart plan of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
I also notice you overlook that Israel was built on approximately one million Jewish immigrants from Arab nations over the years 1948-1957 who were illegally expelled and dispossessed of their property just as much if not more so than the Palestinians. Where is your call for their reparations?
How does getting chased out of one place give you the right to chase someone else out of another place. If the Jewish people that were escaping tyranny wanted to claim their holy land as a safe haven, they need to play ball with the current occupants and not negotiate with Britain to eject the current occupants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
It's not as simple as "this land was my grandfather's, kind of". Land claims can go even further back than that. Do Jews who were expelled centuries ago have a claim? If not, why do Palestinians?
Historical land rights are very rarely recognized, especially in such a contested area. People who fought in the crusades' descendants could start showing up claiming land rights to big hunks of Israel. Land rights before that are more conjecture than real claims. Palestine was a well established nation long before WWII, but Britain colonized it, just like everything else, and decided to make decisions to favor the west instead of the current inhabitants. I really believe that after the holocaust the western world (specifically europe) was in shambles and already ramping up for the cold war, they had never seen such an atrocity committed against a people on such a scale and when it was over they offered to put them anywhere they wanted without really giving enough thought about long term problems and better solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
What we have here is two groups of people that need two states. Israel needs to halt settlement in the West Bank and probably retract some of them as a good faith gesture.
However, it takes two to tango. The Palestinians need to get their shit together and get one government to represent them. That government needs to recognize Israel's right to exist and come to the bargaining table for peace.
Until then, more war, and it's going to hurt the Palestinians a lot more than the Israelis.
This is good. Both sides need to want peace. Israel wants the land and position they currently have with no static from Hamas. Palestine wants Israel to give them back most of Israel. Neither one is really getting anywhere good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
Oh, and this blind funding shit is just wrong. America funds Egypt's regime and sends them F-16's, too, Egypt just uses them to prop up their corrupt regime whereas Israel uses them on terrorists.
Two things: We absolutely lob money at them, they have one of the most sophisticated armies in the middle east and they use it to great effect.
America funds lots of shit heads, that doesn't mean we should give Israel an insurmountable military edge over Palestine.
__________________
If you like the KATG app feel free to kick in some bucks (or don't)
KATGIPHONE Donation

Last edited by hayroob; 01-07-2009 at 10:13 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #57 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayroob View Post
Being in the land where your people can make a direct provable claim to and then being chased out by people who claim your land because they share a common faith with people who lived there before any modern land rights were established is hard to stomach.
So - if I happened to share religious beliefs with Native Americans, I should be able to go to Manhattan and take it over because, after all, my 'people' were there first. Genius.

That's gotta be the best freakin' analogy I've ever come up with!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hayroob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroitish
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trashy View Post
So - if I happened to share religious beliefs with Native Americans, I should be able to go to Manhattan and take it over because, after all, my 'people' were there first. Genius.

That's gotta be the best freakin' analogy I've ever come up with!
Well you and a lot of people with similar flimsy claims would have to get chased out of New Jersey and show up in Manhattan and the government of Canada would have to help you claim sovereignty.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #59 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayroob View Post
Well you and a lot of people with similar flimsy claims would have to get chased out of New Jersey and show up in Manhattan and the government of Canada would have to help you claim sovereignty.
Works for me. And I get to do shrooms too! Bonus
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #60 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Should we be focusing more on the issues?
No, I'd prefer if you focused on comedy
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger