Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Was Keith a homophobe for leaving Matt's place early?
Yes, Keith was homophobic for leaving 9 5.63%
No, Keith was not homophobic for leaving 151 94.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Yeah, they did destroy some art. They stole more, though, and hating one brand of art does not mean they are incapable of appreciating any.
Agreed, I was just pointing out that both destroying and stealing took place. I think it's funny that they considered modern art to be degenerate and 'un-German', but many Nazi officials stole them for themselves.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Jesus christ, Nazis are famous for STEALING art, not destroying it. There is still, constantly Nazi-looted art being returned to the descendants of the original owners to this day.

And that, if anything, shows an appreciation for art.

I don't know why Chemda finds it so absurd that anyone who serves in a military that does shitty things is incapable of appreciating art. You are not good or moral for appreciating art, and appreciating art is not limited to the good or the moral. If it were that simple, we could detect murderers simply by showing them art.
I think she was more skeptical, not of necessarily that a Nazi liked the Eiffel Tower, but the way in which Matt spoke of it. Which suggested that a Nazi seeing the Eiffel Tower and being awestruck by it's beauty reformed him in some way.

They go onto to talk about whether it takes a moment or years for someone to change.

I think Chemda disagreed because seeing the Eiffel Tower and appreciating it, as you said does not make someone more or less moral. It doesn't make Nazis "better."

She found it peculiar that someone on a mission, someone who was apart of genocide and torture, saw this tower and said "I know I usually do what I am told. And I know I am evil, but by golly gee this thing is GOOORRRR-JUSS."

If you were hearing about it for the first time (and no offense to Matt) and in the way that Matt told the story you would be skeptical too?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy_Potatoe_with_an_E View Post
I think she was more skeptical, not of necessarily that a Nazi liked the Eiffel Tower, but the way in which Matt spoke of it. Which suggested that a Nazi seeing the Eiffel Tower and being awestruck by it's beauty reformed him in some way.

They go onto to talk about whether it takes a moment or years for someone to change.

I think Chemda disagreed because seeing the Eiffel Tower and appreciating it, as you said does not make someone more or less moral. It doesn't make Nazis "better."

She found it peculiar that someone on a mission, someone who was apart of genocide and torture, saw this tower and said "I know I usually do what I am told. And I know I am evil, but by golly gee this thing is GOOORRRR-JUSS."

If you were hearing about it for the first time (and no offense to Matt) and in the way that Matt told the story you would be skeptical too?
Matt did oversell the story, trying to tell some idealized story about an evil Nazi changing his ways when left with nothing but his humanity and a choice between art and destruction. But I think they're both coming from unrealistic viewpoints; the average Nazi soldier was not an evil psychopath, and art does not have the power Matt would like to attribute to it.

I think the real story is the Nazi soldier sent to destroy the Eiffel Tower was, overall, not evil, but did get swept up in the Nazi fervor, and he simply chose not to obey his commanders because he wouldn't have to answer to them ever again, and the returning tenants would be pretty pissed at him if he busted their prized vase.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
GFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonik View Post
According to the CIA Factbook info on Wikipedia Dominica consists of 90% Blacks, 8% Mulatto (mixed), 2% Caribs (Indigenous Caribbeans) with a total population just under 80,000 people.

Typical of most Caribbean nations Dominica has been swapped between various European colonists and has a mix of French and English. Of course people being people they screwed each other literally and figuratively for decades, so although Tater's might not identify as "black" she's probably a mix of several races leaning strongly towards the African side.

Genetics can express in odd ways and someone's physical appearance does not necessarily correlate to their genetics.

You're confusing Dominica with the Dominican Republic...
Old 02-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
GFP

Well it does get confusing with both countrys having the same demonym...
Old 02-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Am I the only one that had an awkwardly placed add at like 13:00? I have no issues with there being ads in the show. But please, segway into them or something, don't just have it jump at me randomly. Also, have K&C used this service before? Because if not, and they haven't dealt with these people before, I don't know if that sits with me well. If you wanna advertise a service you use (like with the Netflix thing) that's kewl by me, but if you're advertizing a service you haven't used, it's not gonna make me stop listening, but it does knock down the respect a little.

Barring a response to this, I won't complain about ads in the audio anymore, just wanted to note how awkward this particular event was.

Bet you can't find me: Blog - Facebook - Last.fm - Twitter - DeviantArt - CastRoller

"You're gonna get what you deserve, and not a bullet less. Hey Sammy, ain't ya heard? Only killers call killin' progress..."
Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion549 View Post
Am I the only one that had an awkwardly placed add at like 13:00? I have no issues with there being ads in the show. But please, segway into them or something, don't just have it jump at me randomly. Also, have K&C used this service before? Because if not, and they haven't dealt with these people before, I don't know if that sits with me well. If you wanna advertise a service you use (like with the Netflix thing) that's kewl by me, but if you're advertizing a service you haven't used, it's not gonna make me stop listening, but it does knock down the respect a little.

Barring a response to this, I won't complain about ads in the audio anymore, just wanted to note how awkward this particular event was.
The ads have been popping up for awhile now. K&C gotta pay the bills! I personally think it's awesome when they do have ads for stuff they don't use like when they were sponsored by Big Love and then told us it was shit. They don't back down to sponsors. It's great.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Getting advertisers to pay you to post on your website and advertising a product/service are different. I doubt they have used the credit counceling service that was advertising (however I don't know much about their financial history, so this may or may not be true), but don't have a problem with them doing the spot.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

It's just the first one I've heard pop up that blatantly, I've only been listening since just before the cruise, tho. It's mostly just how awkward the edit was. I'd have no issue if they said something like "Let's take a quick break" and on the live show played music, then in the podcast I got an ad, but the way the conversation was just kinda split and had an ad thrown in just kinda threw me off. Ultimately it's not that there was an ad that I didn't like, it's just the way it was done. Like I said, pay the bills any way you can. I just like to know I'm gonna be hearing an ad, not just thrown into it.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion549 View Post
It's just the first one I've heard pop up that blatantly, I've only been listening since just before the cruise, tho. It's mostly just how awkward the edit was. I'd have no issue if they said something like "Let's take a quick break" and on the live show played music, then in the podcast I got an ad, but the way the conversation was just kinda split and had an ad thrown in just kinda threw me off. Ultimately it's not that there was an ad that I didn't like, it's just the way it was done. Like I said, pay the bills any way you can. I just like to know I'm gonna be hearing an ad, not just thrown into it.
So the Bruno / Adam & Eve ads were ok then?