Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-24-2006, 03:24 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogy
if i dont tip nothing changes and who gets hurt? the person who least deserves it.
I see your point but it's the short term view.

If generally people stop tipping, might not staff leave and take their skills to another employer who pays better ?

Quote:
you are tipping the server, not the chef
That's a fair comment, but chefs don't deal with the public faxe to face, and that distinction matters in my mind.
But fair enough, tip because of good food and the waiter just got lucky.

I discussed this with my wife who has spent a fair amount of her time in the Australian hospitality industry; cash tips will either go to a collective jar or be handled on a pewr table basis, but this would be for front staff.
Credit card tips are *meant* to be given to staff, but bastard owners may choose not to. In that case, staff need to vote with their feet.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:27 AM   #52 (permalink)

As for tipping bar staff, that's plain daft.
Why tip someone for pulling a beer, but not tip someone who just made me a coffee or made me a sandwich.

What next, tip the guy who sells me a bottle of wine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownsoldier
Thank god in Australia tips are a-typical.
Agreed wholeheartedly.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt
If generally people stop tipping, might not staff leave and take their skills to another employer who pays better ?
Are you calling for a tipping revolution? Really really?
Haha - in a world where we can't organize for the good of our kids, planet, future, etc., I doubt we can organize for this.

It's something that will never come to completion so it would only be hurting the waiters/waitresses who make 3 bucks an hour.
It's messed up - but on the scale of messed up things in the world - it's minor.

Last edited by Annie; 07-24-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuck
Question : do you also tip the dude if he is the owner of the business that's providing the service ?
Definately no! The owner gets to set the price for the service. If he is not happy with the price, he can change it.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoogbear63
To me, tips are kind of a funny subject. I was at a wedding this past weekend with an open bar and you tip the bartender of course... but then again, how many singles am I taking to a wedding reception? You tip for service, of course, but you'd better make sure that they see you put a 10 in their class or else they think you're a cheapskate not topping. I wasn't sure what to do and I'd like your input.
Maybe it's just me not being a nice guy, but I would NOT tip a bartender, tending an open bar, at a wedding .. no way in hell .. I am a guest, I have paid my dues to the newly weds by giving them a present ..

.. furthermore, the kind of friends I have would just make the ingredienses available, skip the middleman and let everybody mix whatever they could themselves... I am also sure that people would not tip themselves for making themselves a drink ..
Old 07-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
As for tipping bar staff, that's plain daft.
Why tip someone for pulling a beer, but not tip someone who just made me a coffee or made me a sandwich.
Never did get that. I tip bartenders out of habit, but what exactly am I tipping for?

Walk into a bar. After waiting five minutes I finally get the bartender's attention. Get a beer poured/opened for me and bam! $2 tip.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:06 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie
Are you calling for a tipping revolution? Really really?
Haha - in a world where we can't organize for the good of our kids, planet, future, etc., I doubt we can organize for this.

It's something that will never come to completion so it would only be hurting the waiters/waitresses who make 3 bucks an hour.
It's messed up - but on the scale of messed up things in the world - it's minor.
That sounds like, "it's too hard to fix, let's just carry on as we are".
Old 07-25-2006, 08:21 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogy
you are tipping the server, not the chef
Quote:
That's a fair comment, but chefs don't deal with the public faxe to face, and that distinction matters in my mind.
But fair enough, tip because of good food and the waiter just got lucky.
No, you tip because of good service. Cooks get paid by the hour, and far more than waiters. Waiter wages are about half of what the minimum wage is (at least in America). Their source of income is to provide good service, and the good service is what you are tipping. If your waiter is an idiot and doesn't pay any attention to you (especially when there's not many other customers), you tip less. If they provide exceptional service, you tip more.

As for the cooks, they get paid a larger wage, because they don't have to deal with the public. However, for exceptional food (especially when you compare it to the same dish by a different cook), you CAN tip the chef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritz
Am I going to tip the kid at starbucks when I just paid $5 for a drink? Their entire job is to make it. Why are you expected to tip them?
You aren't EXPECTED to tip at Starbucks. The person gets paid a wage higher than the minimum. They do not get paid a waiter's wage. Anything you give them is extra. If they give you a nasty look, fuck them. If they're your regular server, and they do a decent job, dropping a couple quarters in the tip jar here or there isn't going to hurt you, but it WILL get you better service in the long run.

Bartenders do get tipped, as do bar waitresses, depending on who serves you the drink. If you're sitting at the bar, tip the bartender. If you're sitting at the table, tip your waitress. Granted, $2 a drink is quite a bit high for a tip (especially if it's a $1 draft). I usually apply the same percentage as restaurants. Usually, the waitress gets about $2-3 a round. You might tip more when you're drunk, though, and not keeping good track of your money. I don't drink that much at bars, usually because I'm the driver (in which case, I don't have any more than 1 per 2 hours).

Moral Number 4: The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Except in New Jersey, where what's blowing in the wind smells funny.

http://twitter.com/benjitathesane
http://www.facebook.com/benjitathesane
Old 07-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
That sounds like, "it's too hard to fix, let's just carry on as we are".
Here Here!