Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Blocked Calls, Stalkers, Harassment, HELP

HELP! Victims of stalking, Nerds, Techies, Assholes

I'm turning to KATG for help here, I'm basically desperate. About 6 weeks ago I began receiving phone calls at odd hours from a blocked number. Mostly it happened between 12 and 4am, I ignored it. Then the calls increased in frequency and began to come in a bit more on the early side. After a week or so of this I began to answer these phone calls (I ignore blocked numbers) and I was met with dead air.

After a week or so of this not happening the random blocked calls came back, my gf was with me and she encouraged me to answer, as I'd rather ignore it. Now when I answer I hear someone paying music. This happened last after a short stoppage of the calls, I got 14 calls from the blocked #, all after 12am on a weeknight.

I have no idea who is doing this or why. MY gf is married, but based on times and music we've ruled out her husband (who she's been seperated from for 2 years and seems to at least be on my side in some situations), I haven't hooked up with or dated anyone since I started dating my girl (7 months ago), plus I'm almost 29. Unless I got rufied and randomly fucked some 19 year old I can't imagine anyone I know playing this kind of game. It just doesn't make sense. What person 25+ years old is that petty? I'm also pretty sure it is some "adult" at this point for other reasons.

So what can I do? What should I do? I don't think I can refuse blocked numbers without jailbreaking my iphone. Can I got to the police, should I? It's not a bid deal, I live 2 blocks from a police station. Plus I'm an insomniac with an anxiety disorder, someone interrupting my sleep to play Rhianna songs into their phone is more than annoying.

Should I send them to voicemail and ignore it (keep in mind this has been going on for 6+weeks), use some internet and tech genius answer that you all have or just be ready to cut someone up at any time? This has gone from laughable to annoying to now I'm pissed the fuck off.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

The first thing I'd suggest is turning off your phone during those hours, especially if you don't need it to be on. I can understand leaving it on in case of emergencies, but it might be more beneficial to you to just turn it off overnight. If they start calling during your usual waking hours, then it might be worth going to your phone provider and finding out what you can do to block the calls. They might be able to trace the number and block it for you.

I'm not techy enough to suggest anything you can do other than that, but hopefully some others here can help out more, since I realise my suggestions probably seem like they're stating the obvious.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Did you recently make an offer on a mixer?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

It could be an auto-dialer gone awry or something. But otherwise you can phone up the telco and ask them to trace it.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

I put my phone on vibrate at night because I kept getting woken up by random facebook updates and bot-emails. Saved me a ton of stress, and gives me something to read in the morning. And my phone alarm will still go off if the phone is on vibrate.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
I put my phone on vibrate at night because I kept getting woken up by random facebook updates and bot-emails. Saved me a ton of stress, and gives me something to read in the morning. And my phone alarm will still go off if the phone is on vibrate.
I do the same thing, unfortunately when my phone vibrates it wakes me up. I'm an insomniac so it's not like it really matters. Four hours of sleep is a good night of sleep to me.

It's really not the fact that it's annoying that bothers me, it's that someone is obsessed enough to carry this on for a few months. It's not an auto-dialer or some telemarketer. This person now plays music through the phone, a different song every time, and not music that anyone should ever be listening to. It's like poppy R&B and rap.

Last edited by King of Assholes; 05-26-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
If you have an iPhone you should stick it on airplane mode. I do that when I go to sleep so I can still use the alarm but not be bothered by it ringing/vibrating.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like someone else is now the King of Assholes.

*57 you will be charged by your phone company for the trace. Only works if they are in your area code.
Failing that, the phone company can set a trap on your line to trace the call.

If you don't want to deal with the phone company... You might try to trick them. If they are listening to you being annoyed, when you get the call say something that sounds like you've reported them like.. "Operator this is the caller to trace."
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

just a thought; Paste works nights
Old 05-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
Sounds like someone else is now the King of Assholes.
It's probably some guy named Ian with MS.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, still not sure what exactly I'll do. It's really not the fact that it's annoying that bothers me. It's just that someone is so obsessed with annoying me. I want to ruin their life or life or kick their ass. Someone needs dead in this situation.