Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think my dick is hard just from all this ruckus
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
*If your pc, or other audio device, already has speakers hooked up, set it to drive some high frequency, eg 28,000 Hz, and simultaneously drive another frequency close to that one, eg 28004 Hz. You should hear an oscillating tone when they are both being produced, if your pc is capable of generating them.
So I tried this, and it seems only this computer can produce the sound. The system I'd actually hook up can't play any useful frequencies. I was reading a bit on the 555 timer. I may have to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligula
Steve Gibson did this, and recounts the story in Security Now #248.
I'm listening now. From the title, I'm very hopeful. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligula View Post
Steve Gibson did this, and recounts the story in Security Now #248.

An important element was the parabolic dish. You might be able to use a Wok. I use an old satellite dish for my WiFi.

A half sphere will get great effect from relatively close, but a parabola would be better for farther range, or a shotgun mic with the piezo in the place of the previous transducer.

The beat freqeuncies mentioned earlier would be great if you could get all 3 to be extra-sonic.

I think this is mentioned in one of those "...For Evil Geniuses" books, but I only flipped through it at the electronics shop.

EDIT: The book was Robert Iannini's "More Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius"
Thanks now I don't have to go find the link. This was possibily the absolute BEST episode of SecurityNow, in like ever.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

That was a great show, but of course no specific instructions.

I'd like to build the circuit from scratch but have no idea where to start. There aren't any electronics stores with knowledgeable people where I live. Radio Shack is for cell phones and Robosapians.

I looked online for the piezoelectric crystal and came up with dead ends or jewelry. Anyone know of a device that would have a high enough frequency one in it that I could rip out?

I like the idea of it being portable, so I'd need the 555 timer, a board... that's where I get lost. I've seen vague diagrams and calculators but I don't know where to begin. If I use the 3 batteries, what kind of resistors do I need and how would I wire it up?