Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

how ironic..we could use a robot to click and subscribe 1,000 a hour..theres quite a few out there..i just tested ``AI Robot`` and it works like a charm
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well they can't count current subscribers.. shows that were popular during certain times like mugglecast back wh en harry potter three came out had a lot of subscriptions but then no more and just has a core group of listeners.

if apple went by the total subscriptions, the list would be even farther off. i have subscribed to tons of shows i'll never listen to again. on the other end, if apple tracks what shows you're currently subscribed to and tallys it that way, then people would complain that apple is tracking its uses for software.

the top subscribed that day is the beset way to track things from their end. it keeps the list current without going against privacy concerns
Macs, Computing news, and Sexbots
My Webcam and Podcasts
----
Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

also, the subscription is tied to your current apple music store username. so clicking subscribe multiple times does not work.

that's why you need an apple account to get podcasts, it does know what you've subscribed to in the past, muliple clicks does not mean more stats for the show you are clicking.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypersonalgetaway
that's why you need an apple account to get podcasts, it does know what you've subscribed to in the past, muliple clicks does not mean more stats for the show you are clicking.
do you need an apple acount, i don't have one and can get podcasts.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

well i never go to podcasts on itunes anymore.

probably stopped going last september. I subscribed to KATG in itunes but i remember going to a friends computer to subscribe to my podcast and they did not have an itunes account so I could not subscribe to podcasts through the podcast section of their site. you can certaintly manully subscribe to feeds in itunes via RSS functionality but doing it through the podcast directory requires an account.

can someone correctme on this?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

probably stopped going last september. I subscribed to KATG in itunes but i remember going to a friends computer to subscribe to my podcast and they did not have an itunes account so I could not subscribe to podcasts through the podcast section of their site. you can certaintly manully subscribe to feeds in itunes via RSS functionality but doing it through the podcast directory requires an account.

i never use it also, hate the crap, but i can subscribe without an account, just checked, can't add a review though without an account.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r
i never use it also, hate the crap, but i can subscribe without an account, just checked, can't add a review though without an account.
Furthermore, as your iTMS account is connected to your creditcard, you can only review on iTMS USA if you have an American creditcard.

If I go to the Danish iTMS, and compare the top podcasts the list is totally different from the American iTMS.

It is possible to subscribe to podcasts using ANY store, but I think there is a chance that the subscription will count in that specific store.

I think we have to subscribe to KATG using the American iTMS!

Does this sound totally crazy?

Post a specific date and I will subscribe with several computers.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
tga

Quote:

I am wondering if that is possibly an American thing or something cause I was subscribing to podcasts way before I ever bought anything from the Music Store which is what you need to buy music, hence needing an account, so your experiences sounds a bit odd to me.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
if apple went by the total subscriptions, the list would be even farther off. i have subscribed to tons of shows i'll never listen to again. on the other end, if apple tracks what shows you're currently subscribed to and tallys it that way, then people would complain that apple is tracking its uses for software.
As with any other site, Apple can count total downloads. Those figures are available. Apple may have opted not to release them,

iTunes defaults to stop downloading a podcast if it notes that you have ceased to listen to it. Dont listen to it anymore iTunes wont download it unless you insturuct iTunes to. Therefore total downloads from iTunes is an accurate measurement of how many listeners (or individuals with interest in the show) exist.

Power users may be able to override this feature, but the vast number of users let defaults be what they are.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tga
I am wondering if that is possibly an American thing or something cause I was subscribing to podcasts way before I ever bought anything from the Music Store which is what you need to buy music, hence needing an account, so your experiences sounds a bit odd to me.
You don't have to have an account at iTMS to subscribe to podcasts.

Furthermore, you can subscribe to podcasts from any country (the different stores) .. so, if you want to listen to some Spanish, French or Japaneese .. chances are you can find a podcast in one of those stores .. (Top 10 will usually contain national podcasts)