Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Need a new laptop - Apple or PC?

My laptop is dying so I'll need to get a new one soon. I have always wanted a MacBook (sorry if that's the wrong name, I'm not Apple savvy) but I have always used Windows based PCs and I am very comfortable working with them.

My biggest concern is third part software. I don't play a lot of games nor do I edit video (which I usually hear are the strong suits of each side), but I worry that I'll need software for a school assignment that isn't Mac compatible.

What are the valid reasons for using a Mac? Or valid reasons for not getting one?

TIA
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

What possible programs could you need that you don't think a Mac would have? You can even put windows on a mac...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry about software, its unlikely to be an issue. and as king of assholes says, you can chuck windows on there anyway, A modern macbook/macbook pro will happily run windows in a vmware/parallels session, giving you the best of both worlds.

If you can afford it, then I'd go for a macbook pro, they are very solidly built and with the new i5 processors they are super fast. However, I'd definately include apple care with it, Mac hardware seems to have a habit of throwing a "logic board" after the 12 month warranty is up, and they will charge you almost the replacement cost of the laptop to fix it.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

What do you think you would need in school that you couldn't get for the Mac? Also, at one time, I thought Apple was giving an ipod touch to students who could prove they were students who buy a macbook. But I don't know if that is still going on.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky McDuck View Post
My laptop is dying so I'll need to get a new one soon. I have always wanted a MacBook (sorry if that's the wrong name, I'm not Apple savvy) but I have always used Windows based PCs and I am very comfortable working with them.

My biggest concern is third part software. I don't play a lot of games nor do I edit video (which I usually hear are the strong suits of each side), but I worry that I'll need software for a school assignment that isn't Mac compatible.

What are the valid reasons for using a Mac? Or valid reasons for not getting one?

TIA
From the points you've listed, it seems that you yourself don't have a valid reason for really getting one. Don't feel peer pressure from the cute adverts on TV.
Stick with Windows if thats what your comfortable with.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

And what does a Mac do that PC doesn't? Aside from costing more for equivalent hardware.

Support USA, get a PC.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Get a Windows laptop, save yourself some money.

The whole Mac vs PC thing bothers me. Macs ARE PCs.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I got a Macbook 3.5 yrs ago. No regrets since, it did take me a few months to make the full transition from my old Sony VAIO to the macbook.

Software wise you should be ok, Microsoft make Office for the Mac.

If you are ok with paying the premium, get the Macbook. Don't forget Apple Care. Most of my Macbook has been replaced. (Battery, HDD, RAM, Logic board, power adapter)
But since you stated that you are comfortable using Windows you might want to use the money that would go to a mid-range Macbook and get a high-end windows laptop
Old 05-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mac .... it's the only quality option. I have 2 PC's and 5 Macs, out of choice and genuine regard for both there is NO comparison. When PC users bang on about how Macs are expensive and no good, you can guarantee they've never used one, nor can afford one. If you can afford the extra $£, get a Mac.
It's like Ford v Ferrari, if you think the answer is Ford, you need help .......
Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

do it