Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree15Likes

Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

I was on a flight from Dallas to Vegas and sat next to Marcus Hicks. Dude is tiny.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astigos View Post
I'm going to assume Fedor didn't sign because the UFC contract has some very scary clauses and Dana White can rule with an iron fist at times.

Do you know about the "Champion's Clause"? I read about it recently. Here's the champion's clause of the UFC contract verbatim:

Every major fight promotion has this clause (Strikeforce and Bellator), but the UFC's clause is the worst because it can be interpreted to be infinitely perpetual. Strikeforce and Bellator's champion's clauses both have mention of a limit that the champion's clause can be repeated.

Dana White has openly stated that any UFC fighter that signs with EA for the new EA MMA video game would get blacklisted. Dana White often doesn't allow fighters to compete in other tournaments or events. Dana said that if Fedor signed he wouldn't be able to compete in World Sambo or Judo tournaments. And obviously the UFC won't allow fighters to participate in other fight promotions (Fedor is adamant about also fighting in M-1 Global) but that's pretty understandable.

The UFC might be the biggest and the best fight promotion but it does have some monopolistic tendencies and duplicity about it. The UFC needs competition, it's almost a good thing that the best fighter in the world isn't in the UFC. Strikeforce may be lacking right now, but I'm hoping that it'll pull through so with competition means better fights for all the fans.
I think white is doing the right thing. WIth MMA so young he is trying to make sure it continues as a legitimate sport(while still making sure he stays on top). Can you imagine if elite xc had been in the position UFC is in? That place was crooked as fuck. If it had been on a huge scale it would have been on level with the 80's steroid scandal in wrestling.

Is fedor better than lesnar? I don't know. Neither does anyone else. People don't give lesnar the credit he deserves. No matter how he wins people will find some way to downplay the victory.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

How about Brandon Verra vs. Randy Couture? I heard about this a few days ago but I guess it's official now. This should be a really interesting fight. If you don't know much about Verra then let me fill you in since the UFC loves to bill him as a thai boxer. He's actually a greco roman wrestler from the start. He wrestled for Old Dominion in VA then he also wrestled in the armed forces for the Air Force I believe. At some point in there he blew out his elbow, I think it was in college and that's what forced him out of college and lead him to the military. From there he was competing in grappler's quest with BJJ training, til Lloyn Irvin saw him. That's when his grappling went to the next level. So he's a really great match up for Randy.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Penn vs Sanchez - Sanchez by unanimous decision.
After Guida vs Sanchez, I don't think that Penn can handle Sanchez' pace. Sanchez doesn't have KO power, but I believe that he is going to make Penn gas out. Five rounds of war on the feet and on the ground. Sanchez is my boy. My favorite lightweight, and maybe my favorite fighter period.

Couture vs Vera - Vera by TKO in the second.
I just have to give the edge to Vera because he's young. I don't know too much about either, except Vera is making has way to the top, especially since he dropped to LHW from HW. He's had some incredible performances in the past.

What do you guys think about the upset that was Torres vs Bowles in the WEC?
I was quite speechless when that happened. Torres was supposed to be the best P4P fighter in the world.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't know if I can discuss MMA with you guys because right now "I am not pleased". I'm a huge MMA nerd, it's a bit of an obsession with me. I'd be happy to break down fights for anyone for their fantasy picks or betting (wouldn't pick a winner in $$$ situation).
Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Assholes View Post
I don't know if I can discuss MMA with you guys because right now "I am not pleased". I'm a huge MMA nerd, it's a bit of an obsession with me. I'd be happy to break down fights for anyone for their fantasy picks or betting (wouldn't pick a winner in $$$ situation).
Whatever, just throw in your two cents.

CroCop vs Dos Santos - Who ya got? I don't know anything about Dos Santos.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astigos View Post
Whatever, just throw in your two cents.

CroCop vs Dos Santos - Who ya got? I don't know anything about Dos Santos.
I pick Dos Santos. Cro Cop has been looking pretty fearful of losing. One more loss and he's out of a contract I believe.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
How about Brandon Verra vs. Randy Couture? I heard about this a few days ago but I guess it's official now. This should be a really interesting fight. If you don't know much about Verra then let me fill you in since the UFC loves to bill him as a thai boxer. He's actually a greco roman wrestler from the start. He wrestled for Old Dominion in VA then he also wrestled in the armed forces for the Air Force I believe. At some point in there he blew out his elbow, I think it was in college and that's what forced him out of college and lead him to the military. From there he was competing in grappler's quest with BJJ training, til Lloyn Irvin saw him. That's when his grappling went to the next level. So he's a really great match up for Randy.
lately it seems that Randy is losing to heavy punches and better ju jitsu. since vera doesn't seem to display both pretty well, I'm betting on couture.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehtaFrey View Post
lately it seems that Randy is losing to heavy punches and better ju jitsu. since vera doesn't seem to display both pretty well, I'm betting on couture.
That's why it's interesting, because Vera does have good BJJ, he just doesn't use it. Also Randy uses his greco to whip guys around, pin them against the cage and take them down. I'd say Randy's wrestling pedigree is a bit better than Brandon's, but with age and height it could make a difference. Vera trained with Olympic team and was a hopeful at one point, Randy was an alternate (though he did much better at other international competitions). So this should be a great test for both to see where they're at.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
The reason he didn't sign with the UFC is that they required co-promotion with M-1 Global. Who the hell is M-1 even?

M-1 is co-owned by Fedor.

The fact that they do not allow thier fighters to participate in other events is smart, business wise. If for example they let Penn fight in a smaller promotion or a tournament, and he gets injured, then they have to scramble to make a main event that people are willing to pay for.