Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

One caveat though: Please do not quit your day jobs! I used to listen to Dawn and Drew from early on to just after the Podshow contract. Once they (Drew) stopped bringing in stories from the outside world it tanked and I quit.
Although, it would be awesome if they could live off of money made from podcasting while they pursued interests which are precluded by having to work. Chemda could focus on her singing and Keet could find new places to shit, etc.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #22 (permalink)

"i wouldn't mind paying such a small amount if it meant keith and chemda get to live like fat rats.. i'd be happy to help.. it might even make sense to charge a little more.. 2 or 3 dollars per month.. just because those willing to pay 1 are probably just as willing to pay a little more and those who aren't probably wouldn't pay 1 anyway.."

I think all of us would be happy if K & C were able to stop clowning and reap the rewards of their hard work. Instead of a monthly subscription, how bout selling a subscription (or per episode) of a downloadable video, like the 300th?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

There's a reason

There's a reason why radio sucks, and it ain't going to be helped by satellite.

Satellite radio stocks falling to earth
Old 08-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #24 (permalink)

i'd pay a monthly fee. i think that there should be the option of either buying individual shows (for those wanting to catch up on old episodes), or buying a monthly allowance. having said that, though, what would the ramifications be on the live shows? i think that having live shows with callers could add an extra dimension to the show. while the calls haven't been the greatest so far, they will get better. but the problem lies, for the live shows, in how do you tell from those that have actually paid a subscription from those that haven't. you'd have to have some system set up. and how much would that cost? you could send a live link in a conformation email or something, but that gets passed around easily. you could have it synched up to only allow one listener from your KATG username/password.

i think that the live show could have some sort of leverage to gaining listeners though, if they offerred month old shows for free. this assumes that having the show live carries most of the value, which for most, it probably won't. but having it a month late may hook people just enough to be willing to pay a small fee to have the most up to date info on what's going on and have the access to the free show.

at some point, the shows are going to be free anyway due to others passing it around. and, while that may not happen a lot now, if they decide to charge...it most certainly will. so convincing people to pay for the podcast i think will rely on:

a) the interest in the live shows. keeping it interactive enough to make people want to call in and say what they have to say. i don't see this happening effectively until podcasting becomes more mainstream, however. the type of people that are left to call in are still a little....how should i say? demographically focused. it'll take a broader group of callers to appeal to a broader group of listeners.

the only downside to live shows on the internet is that it's going to be difficult to reach beyond that core group of listeners. that group being the tech saavy enough individuals that understand/care how it all works.

b) having a very chronological podcast. maybe keeping w/ topics that are time sensitive. something that makes the free listeners feel that they're missing out. this podcast may not be able to really capture that feel, as it's mostly anecdotal. tech shows i think do better here. but, who knows...i'm just talking out of my ass anyways.

i'd be interested to see how many people decided to pay for ricky gervais' podcast after he went subscription. while making money is certainly what K and C would like to do, i wonder at what price would they be willing to lose 60+% of their audience? i think it's possible to retain a majority of the people, especially the hardcore listeners. but the timing and conditions (show delivery and content) have to be right.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

Forcing people to pay would be a mistake so let me offer a suggestion.

Take some of the fuctions currently available to the general public and move them into a subscriber only service. Live shows, chat, feedback, certain areas on the forums, special content, bonus shows, etc.... For $5 per month a subscriber can have access to all this but free users can still listen to the show access basic services.

This gives you the best of both worlds.

Just a thought.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavimbi
There's a reason why radio sucks, and it ain't going to be helped by satellite.

Satellite radio stocks falling to earth
Satellite radio never made any sense to me, Part of the appeal of traveling cross country is discovering great independent stations, listening to the local news and commercials, getting a flavor for each town and city you visit.

Most of us hate the mono-culture that chain stores bring. The same merchandise and chain stores exist throughout the U.S. regional flavors are disappearing exacerbated by the escalating real-estate market (btw, The Suppranos touched on this briefly.)

Clear Channel developed a huge FM network, eliminating DJs and local lineups and replacing them with Youll hear this [insert top 100 track] in sixty seconds No matter where you were it was the same HOT station with different call signs. Bleh.

So now comes the advent of satellite radio with the promise that no matter where you are, you can listen to the same station. What the fuck? Unless Im a trucker or make my living on the road, having satellite radio would take away the appeal of tuning into the local radio in Wichita, KS. and hearing whats for sale on Main Street and who the mayors fucking.

"That's me -- call me crazy, call me a pervert, but this is something I enjoy."
- Boogie Nights
Old 08-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

i think live shows should definitely stay free.. if you catch it.. you get it... i also think the archived episodes should all stay free... i just think at some point it should begin where every other new episode can be downloaded from their server by registered users only, who have paid a very small monthly fee..

it would still be like three downloadable shows per week, free to the public.. which is more than most podcasts offer...

paying by episode just seems like a pain in the ass for all sorts of reasons.. both for us and them.. i think monthly, quarterly, or yearly would be the way to go.

as for other bonus stuff.. the regular chat and forums should always be free.. but perhaps a separate chat for registered members only? they could always throw random things into it to sweeten the deal.. but i think they should keep the withdrawing of free stuff to a minimum...
"The internet will eat you." - patrice (ep 539 1:49:04)
Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big lebowski
i'd be interested to see how many people decided to pay for ricky gervais' podcast after he went subscription. while making money is certainly what K and C would like to do, i wonder at what price would they be willing to lose 60+% of their audience? i think it's possible to retain a majority of the people, especially the hardcore listeners. but the timing and conditions (show delivery and content) have to be right.
Well it's been a while and they haven't been back to the honey pot. they basically ran out of steam after the free ones, the for sale ones where lower sound quality and the material wasn't as good.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby
I miss it every single day.
i miss fake drinkin...
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r
i miss fake drinkin...
From all the fake fights?