Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smashing Pumpkins

They're Baaa-aaaaack...

Smashing Pumpkins fans, get ready to be infinitely happy.

Fourteen long months after founder and frontman Billy Corgan announced in a full-page ad in Chicago newspapers that he was planning to reform the band he loved so dearly, the Pumpkins are back in the studio recording their first album since calling it quits with their swan song, 2000's hard-charging Machina: The Machines of God.

Last edited by arcatacat; 05-17-2007 at 06:01 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like pumpkin pie
Old 08-19-2006, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Despite all my rage I am still just - looking forward to the new album.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

If D'arcy Wretzky, or at least James Iha, aren't involved in this "reunion," then it isn't much of a reunion. Jimmy Chamberlain played drums for Zwan, and he also played drums on Billy Corgan's solo record. So, if the new Smashing Pumpkins will be Corgan and Chamberlain playing with a couple of hired people, it isn't really the Smashing Pumpkins. It's just Billy Corgan making a solo record under the name of Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboy
Hopefully they will be capture the same feel from some of the early albums like Gish and Siamese Dream. I've enjoyed Adore and some of the more recent albums but I don't know every song off them like I do Gish and Siamese Dream. I'm a fan of SP and saw them on numerous tours, their is a reason my handle is spaceboy.
funny how the world works, i was listening to GISH all nite, and then i hear this, its like how i was listening to 'Jane's Addiction's" Jane says] when she came in the chat.....wtf, i dont need anything else to make my head spin
Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

....then someone will say what is lost can never be saved...

Hmmm.... how about "Smashing Pumpkins in the Blue Grass"?

"Despayte all mah rayge, Ah'm stiyll just a rayt in a Kayge! *dum-diddle-dee-doing-doo-doo*"
Old 08-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjita
Hmmm.... how about "Smashing Pumpkins in the Blue Grass"?

"Despayte all mah rayge, Ah'm stiyll just a rayt in a Kayge! *dum-diddle-dee-doing-doo-doo*"
I think "1979" would lend itself well to a banjo arrangement.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree about D'arcy and James needing to be back in the band for it to be a proper reunion but musically, all you need is Billy and Jimmy. Billy wrote 98% of the music and recorded a large number of the bass tracks too so having D'arcy and James back would be cool but not integral to the sound. Plus, the previous conflicts in the band would surely resurface which would probably result in the band breaking up again very soon.

I'm a huge Pumpkins fan and since I never got a chance to see them live, I'll just be happy to see Billy and Jimmy play I Am One or Jellybelly if they ever tour to Australia.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianward81
Billy wrote 98% of the music and recorded a large number of the bass tracks too so having D'arcy and James back would be cool but not integral to the sound. Plus, the previous conflicts in the band would surely resurface which would probably result in the band breaking up again very soon.
All of the above is totally valid. And you know, I'm not a huge fan of the Pumpkins. I think the band is close to my heart 'cause I'm a former Chiagolander, and I used to play in a band with a guy who was obsessed with Smashing Pumpkins. For the few months we worked together, I must've learned how to play at least 15 Pumpkins songs.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Pumpkins ROBBED!

If anyone can find these pics and post em, that'd be groovy.
July 7, the release date for the new Smashing Pumpkins album Zeitgeist, is only two months away. However, after waiting seven years since the last Smashing Pumpkins release, some zealous fans just couldn't wait sixty-something more days, and took matters into their own hands.

Last week, the band's Chicago rehearsal studio was robbed; the thieves are now in jail.

The band's management released the following statement:

"Management for the Smashing Pumpkins confirms that the band's rehearsal studio in Chicago was burglarized last week.

"The two people who are now in jail illegally gained access to the band's private space and stole various items belonging to them over the course of several hours while the band had left for the evening.

"The band's management says the group feels their rights have been violated by this crime and will always pursue their rights and the law to protect their property and the safety of themselves, their families and their fans."

So, what did the burglars steal? Money? Guitars? The album's master tapes? Nope. It appears-- though it is not officially confirmed-- that the fans stole photographs somehow associated with Zeitgeist, possibly album art or video stills. The photos were then leaked to the Pumpkins fan site Netphoria. The images include:

-- Paris Hilton posing in front of a backdrop of a bomb exploding
-- The Grim Reaper standing at a podium emblazoned with the Seal of the President of the United States, in front of a black and white Smashing Pumpkins flag
-- A person in a business suit wearing a devil mask and being crucified
-- Five blonde children saluting
-- Close-up of Billy Corgan in a hoodie
-- Billy Corgan in a hoodie, standing next to a woman with no shirt on

The Smashing Pumpkins' management's statement on the photographs was simply, "the photos are stolen goods and anyone who posts them will have to take them down."

Netphoria took down the photos and posted a statement, saying, "What this person did amounts to theft and band takes this very seriously as does Netphoria. I know everyone here is hungry for more information on the new album but this is not the way to go about it. Nobody here should condone or be supportive of the actions this individual took...The band requested the stolen pictures be removed and I believe they are well within their right to do so..."

Also;

It has been confirmed by a number of sources that the first single from The Smashing Pumpkins new album will be 'Tarantula'. There is no 'release date' set for the single, but in even better news, a number of US radio stations have said they have copies of the song and are most likely going to be playing it by the end of this week. Keep checking our forum for any updates that may happen during this week.

With only 12 days till the first show back for the Smashing Pumpkins the next few weeks are looking pretty exciting. Fans in Chicago have discovered where the band have been rehearsing and it has been 'confirmed' that the new members are indeed Ginger Reyes on bass and the guitar player is Jeff Schroeder. While there hasn't been an official statement from the band or their management, sometimes the proof from fans is enough. Check out all the news on the Ozphoria Forum.

Only 13 days till they play their first show in so long, can't wait!