Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

My home town has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in europe so i heard....

its full of fucking scum bags with babies.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

well i kinda think it's little harsh.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

What are you trying to get across, that I should not become a teenage female and become pregnant? If so, message received.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Although it's coming from a place of good intention- wanting to help society and all - it's very much the 'hand of Big Brother'.

Forced adoption because the mom is a teenager? Under the age of consent? Yes, this age of 'parent' generally lacks the maturity and essentials to be a parent. Yes, there is usually a vicious cycle of bad parenting that is involved in these situations. But forced adoption is too harsh. Although kids don't generally have the full 'rights' that adults do - this would be grossly stepping over the line. No matter what the age, that is the flesh and blood of two human beings. If forced adoption becomes acceptable for teens, then what about people who are not economically sound? Ones who show signs of abusive behavior (prior to the baby's birth), etc? There is a line that you just can't cross.

But you can do everything possible on your side of the line! Although "forcing" someone to do something isn't very ethical, if the government should force anything - it should be a mandated parenting program. Also, strengthing sex education programs would be a strong offensive tactic we can do on our side of the line. Shake off adult "embarrassment" and be real. It's been a couple years since I gave a speech on sex-ed, but I believe that less than 50% of states have mandated sex ed programs, and many of those programs aren't comprehensive (aka "ummmm just don't have sex, mmmk?").

Often times, big problems can't be solved in one move (aka - "Teens might not be capable of being a good parent? Take away the baby!). Instead of thinking in ways to "remove" the problem, we need to think in ways that "solve" the problem.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

why stop at adoptions, how about forced abortions or forced sterilization?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

this should solve it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image00111.jpg (105.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have to agree with everyone that says that there is already too much federal control on these kinds of topics. I like that bumper sticker that says "Keep your laws off of my body". Humans are soverign. We're not robots that need to be controlled by a master. HUAR! People can and will make decisions for themselves. Sometimes those decisions end up in shitty situations, but it's not the government's position to say what HAS to happen because of said shitty decision.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcatacat
I have to agree with everyone that says that there is already too much federal control on these kinds of topics. I like that bumper sticker that says "Keep your laws off of my body". Humans are soverign. We're not robots that need to be controlled by a master. HUAR! People can and will make decisions for themselves. Sometimes those decisions end up in shitty situations, but it's not the government's position to say what HAS to happen because of said shitty decision.
i agree with both views. the government shouldnt have control over individuals. however, when theres a problem and youre hurting society/community, or you are hurting a child, maybe something should be done. and the fact that we are dealing with minors further complicates the problem, as with most situations, minors cant legally work enough to provide for themselves, much less a child. and they rarely have access to high paying jobs. they are, essentially, unfit parents by legal definition. but with family support, proper family support, i should say, maybe theres hope, but its rare. but rare shouldnt mean never, because of laws made. its a complicated multifaceted issue.

seeing the good and bad points on both sides so easily, and being a republican (meaning im not going to force my views on other cultures), this should be a state/local descision. id probably protest this if it were made a federal law, im not sure where i would stand if it were a state issue. i still dont know enough about NY local politics to vote in the elections, but im getting there...

man its nice being republican, i can sleep at night knowing i dont force my views on minority cultures, believing firmly that people have a right to be wrong about something. seriously, how do you democrtas sleep at night?
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Meh. Besides the whole big brother feel of it, the whole forced adoption would never serve as a solution but merely an out. I can go ahead and get knocked up because in 9 months it will be a baby the govt has to deal with.

My main problem is with your use of normal vs. abnormal. I was raised by exceptionally young parents and never for a moment felt nor was I taught that having a baby young was acceptable or par for the course and my upbringing was far from normal.

My mom didn't get knocked up because she was from a poor drug addled family and she was hustlin to get by and my dad was a street saavy pimp/player. I was the product of two unsupervised upper middle class latchkey kids doing the dirty at a friends before curfew.

Growing up most of my friends had divorced parents and thier dad's were dudes they sort of remembered. I was lucky enough to have a situation where they weren't together but co-parenting was in place. My dad lived 5 minutes away and I saw him daily.

Not to paint it as an ideal template of teen parenting gone right. I think of my grandma having been a better mom than my actual mom because she did do a large chunk of raising me until my mom graduated from high school. My dad did alot of the little shit (school trips, girl scouts all that bonding shit) while she was in college and grad school.

Now at 27 I realize that the problem was that around 14 we hit a point where my mom and I were in a position where I was in a place to do all the shit she wanted to do at my age minus a kid and she resented me for it. with only 13 year age difference we are damn near part of the same generation. I couldn't imagine right now worrying if my 14 year old was out doing who knows what and that was her lot at my age. She and I haven't talked in two years because honestly she isn't a healthy person for me to be around because of the resentment (on both our parts at this point).

That coupled with the fact that my dad got remarried and had a kid at what now works out as a normal age to have a family (basically giving him a do over) is a source of weirdness. But with him I think with have both recognized it and we work on it. He stopped calling my sister the nickname he used to call me as a kid (fuck it I'm 27 but I didn't like it it was my name) and I know he was doing it because he uses nicknames when real names escape him in a pinch most of the time. It was still an issue for me.Odd to have issues with a kid your 16 years older than but siblings are siblings.

Every teen knocked up isn't always a teen gone wrong so the solution can't be static. Sex Ed being more realistic is definitely a start. Including sex ed for the parents. My grandparents didn't even fathom that sex could truly happen with teens until my mom turned up pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky
man its nice being republican, i can sleep at night knowing i dont force my views on minority cultures, believing firmly that people have a right to be wrong about something. seriously, how do you democrtas sleep at night?
Don't tease the democrats. They always mean well.

Twitters

"Be gone, back to the cave from which you came." -Abs

"No, you can't go. He's a pederast."- Nick Postagulous

Last edited by Patrice; 07-30-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG
this should solve it

Now THAT"S a party dress!