Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mape View Post
Meh started drinking now so I don't know, but I assume he uses forms through javascript to enable him to dynamically sort/cut/change shit without polluting the url.

Don't seen any reason to use sessions on the website since there is no user login or data to keep track of.

Edit* em not thinking clear, think thats somekinda validation thingy, not familiar with asp so not sure what but yeah. Doubt its useless since its in there.
hmm

Quote:
ASP.NET's extremely popular __VIEWSTATE functionality provides an automatic, uniform method for storing current state of all webpage "controls" (including form fields, database views, etc), so that user-entered data auto-magically persists and is populated across newly rendered HTML, and so that current selections of displayed database records are cached and do not need to be looked up again after every operation.

The data is by *typically* stored on client side as base64-encoded, hidden POST form field. By default, the field is protected from tampering by being "signed" using SHA1 with machine-specific key and - although not discussed by Microsoft - presumably either target .aspx filename or other file ID parameter.

The ASP.NET's __VIEWSTATE field has been found to be prone to replay attacks as well as denial of service vulnerabilities.
whatever that means, i prefer LAMP or WAMP
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #32 (permalink)

Good for making the website scale I guess, not sure what data would propagate but then I don't really have any idea of how he built the site.

Oh and it would nice if you integrated the shop into the current website "frame" instead of making it a separate entity.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayepants View Post
Yes - what are you doing up at that godawful time of the day
I had to go into work on Saturday this week. That's my normal starting time.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
oh and who gives a shit about w3c validation really
Uh, every web browser in the world. It's not just about IE and Firefox anymore.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats how you setup your computer. Not their fault.
It does that by default in Firefox, so yes, their fault.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
It does that by default in Firefox, so yes, their fault.
yeah, like I SAID!

(And I am on Firefox)
Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #37 (permalink)

LOVE IT!!!

I love the new site; way cool!

BUT Roman's name is spelled wrong on the tattoo page!! <<sadface>>

But the site is so much better!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #38 (permalink)

It feels very generic, and tables? Come on.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #39 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
Looks like Michael redesigned the KATG homepage www.katg.com

Have any thoughts?
Rellek gets credit too. He made the design and graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r View Post
and tables for layout are so old.
Tables are extremely compatible, easy to layout and I don't get cross browser issues. Plus, suck my balls.

Quote:
As said previously the client side code leaves some to be desired but thats not a big priority since it'll work cross platform/browser anyway .....
The layout is perfect, easy to navigate and gets you right to the heart of things.
And creds to Michael for coding it and Rellek (I assume based on the graphics style) for designing it.
There really isn't much client side code. What functions are you referring to?

You're right about easier to navigate. It also has more room for text. The old version left you with only a small scrolling box to read the info in. In addition to that we can also wrap around most of the other pages into this template so it doesn't look like we just threw up a naked page. I'm going to move some of the pages you're familiar with into the template over the next few days.

Yes, Rellek designed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horo View Post
On the "All episodes" page, the links say "Save", but when I left-click them, they actually start to play in QuickTime. Maybe this is the way I have my browser set up, but if one of the goals is to make the whole podcast thing less intimidating for new users, it'd probably be better to have a "play" link and then a separate "save" link to start an ftp download.
Right click, save as. It's a problem i'm aware of. I think there is some html code to force a download. I'm playing with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotparker View Post
I think it looks great. this shizzle was long overdue, y'all!

also, anyone bitching about people using tables for layouts needs to go find the biggest, most diseased cock they can to choke on.
It's not diseased but they can totally choke on my dick. For a site like MySpace that lets people add other code or yahoo where you have a lot of hands editing the site I can see why CSS is important but for a site like this that only one person edits tables makes the whole thing easier to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptmunich View Post
Plus: adding himself as the first guest listed? Real classy move right there :http://www.keithandthegirl.com/PastGuests.aspx
I'm going to put myself where ever I feel like. If I feel like putting myself first then i'm going to do it. If i feel like putting myself in your mother then i'm going to do it.

Plus as Jeremy already pointed out it's listed in the order people were put in the DB. I got the ball rolling with myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horo View Post
It's in a database? Add a "first show appeared on" and/or a "last show appeared on" field, and sort that bitch!
Working on features like that. There is a lot of old data to go through. You can always help by going to the show helpers thread
http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forum...ead.php?t=6257

Quote:
and why is the page enclosed in an html form
For someone who goes around reading so much source code i'd think you'd already figure out that the site was written in ASP.NET. It needs it to process the features of the language.

Quote:
so this is supposed to be session tracking?

<input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="/wEPDwULLTEwMDUyNjYzMjgPZBYCZg9kFgICAw9kFgYCAw8WAh4 HVmlzaWJsZWhkAgUPFgIeBmhlaWdodAUCMTVkAgcPDxYCHgRUZ Xh0BQk1MjY6IEh1cnRkZGRtLqtjL1vMFgqXhThsMYA0ugv/vA==" />
ASP.NET again. It's suppose to be everything tracking including what you do all day and where you go. Funny, it's not normally that short.

Last edited by MichaelApproved; 06-30-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #40 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Good for making the website scale I guess, not sure what data would propagate but then I don't really have any idea of how he built the site.

Oh and it would nice if you integrated the shop into the current website "frame" instead of making it a separate entity.
Good point, i'm going to try to move all pages into the new template. For now I just wanted to get the new site out the door. It took a while to get this all together and I wanted to get this out already so new features and pages and work with the template. The old pages will be phased in.

Moving the store into the template is on the list but it would need a slight design change to fit better. That makes it harder to just cut and paste it in. I also have some other plans for the store so i'm just going to do it all at once.

btw nice job on the other answers.