Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

The Tobolowsky Files, an amazing podcast

Stephen Tobolowsky has a podcast, and it's so absurdly splendid, it demands it's own thread. It's like the early days of KATG, but he doesn't really do a sidekick, it's all just him, and he has the gravitas to carry the show entirely on his own shoulders.

The Tobolowsky Files is this strange storytelling journey through the life and times of actor Stephen Tobolowsky, as told by himself, in complete honesty and candor. And his life is epic. Crazy stories about working in Hollywood, on the sets of films(yeah, he's Ned Ryerson from Groundhog Day!), bizarre surprise trips on LSD, childhood, first loves, death, it's anything and everything, and I'm only through the first ten or so episodes.

I've been on the KATG boat since pretty much the beginning, and if you are reading this, you are too. That means my taste in podcasts should be impeccable to you, and I'm telling you right now this is the current best podcast there is. Yes, it's that good.

Minus the Stanhope episode of KATG, I place it at the top, above Marc Maron, above The Moth, This American Life, Fresh Air, Smodcast, How Stuff Works. There is nothing better out there.

I'm listening to the show at about ten episodes a day while I work, and it's like when I first started listening to KATG back in 2005, and I had 50 or so back episodes to hear. Riveting, and I dread catching up and having to deal with TTF withdrawal while I wait for fresh episodes. It's about a once a week show, add it to your list, you won't regret it.

Find it on iTunes, the spelling is tough: The Tobolowsky Files

Stephen Tobolowsky's twitter: tobolowsky

You can email him, too, his name at gmail dot com.

You're welcome in advance, and thank you to whoever turned me onto the show in another thread.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.

Last edited by spooky; 06-12-2010 at 07:58 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Oh he's a great actor. Plays the creepy ex-teacher, Sandy in Glee. I'll definitely check this out, thanks Spooky.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Will listening get Keith and Chemda back together.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I'm subscribed to the /Filmcast and this show shows up in their feed so I've randomly got a few on my iPod by default.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great podcast, He's so absorbing and such a good storyteller. I remember hearing him as a guest early on the slashfilm cast (might have even been the first few episodes), I was delighted when I heard they were making a podcast all about him.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Spooky, just finished listening to his episode about LSD on Christmas. Good stuff!

cheers
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Thanks Spooky, just finished listening to his episode about LSD on Christmas. Good stuff!

cheers
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

THANK BUCHO.

SPOOKY IS A DOUCHE.

http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forum...73/#post652556
Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzagama View Post
SPOOKY IS A DOUCHE.
YEAH?! Well I bet he could beat you in an arm wrestling match, SMART GUY. heh
Old 06-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I really do love this podcast though. The only thing is, you really have to focus on it. Because...it's more like an audiobook than a podcast.

In other words, there's no point in playing it in the background while you do shots, you won't remember a word of it. I learned that the hard way (earlier tonight).
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

It's a really good podcast. I agree that it's above those other shows you mentioned but I still put Dan Carlin's shows above Tobolowsky for now, and maybe Carolla on his better days, but it's a pretty close call.

You should hunt out the couple of Slashfilmcasts he guested on before Dave Chen came up with the idea for this show too. It's different than the Tobolowsky Files obviously but it'll ease the feeling of having no more back episodes of Tobolowsky Files to listen to.

It could be just his acting skill but I choose to believe him when his voice chokes up at some points of his stories. It hits me in the heart a little bit every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzagama View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
That's not nice Dzagama, Spooky only did this thread out of the goodness of his Texas-sized heart. I mean, thanks for the props but ease up a little on the haterism when someone's just trying to do peeps a favour and share some joy.