Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #2891 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyUserName View Post
When will I learn not to buy some of these on day one? I thought I got a deal on Left 4 Dead 2, then they drop it down further to 37$. <3 PC

Also I'm replaying HL2E2, TF2, Batman, Audiosurf
Unless there's a big deal on preorders or a it's game i'm dying to play, I've forced myself to wait for sales on PC games and it usually ends up being steam's insane discounting. It's crazy but it's even cheaper than the discount I get from working in videogame retail (a relief, since these stores are abandoning the platform thanks to digital distribution rendering them irrelevant).

Between their games and this service, Valve have quickly become my favourite developer and, it seems, the unofficial representives of PC gaming.

I have no idea how they make money out of TF2 but I don't think there's been another game of such quality that's been updated so frequenty and with such care and skill for so long. I'm sure they'll release Episode 3 any decade now too.

Audiosurf's a game I keep coming back to - sometimes I hear songs that sound like good levels and sometimes it's reading about things like the PC Gamer/Rock, Paper Shotgun staff's epic back and forth over the leaderboards of Whuthering Heights (seriously, try it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
So let's see...

I picked up Osmos for $1.99 yesterday. I like the look and concept of the game, we'll see if it can keep me hooked, though frankly at that price it doesn't really need to.

I've also been watching my wife play Dragon Age. I picked it up for her for Christmas because of the fantasy-ass fantasy setting cuz she loved Oblivion, but man. That is a tough game to get into, especially on the 360 it seems. I can't believe your character doesn't even talk during the conversations. I may be a minority here, but I am less and less a fan of Bioware RPGs with each one I check out.

Just about finished with Batman. I've beaten the story, found all the Riddler challenges and am now working on the challenge mode. That game's the shit!
Osmos is a lovely little game, I do wonder what Carl Sagan would have made of it. Oh and feed the sun!

The core of the game is still great but Dragon Age is a bit of a dog on consoles, the console version of Mass Effect had problems too but not as pronounced.

I've heard the voice thing was an artistic choice of wanting you to inhabit a character of your creation, rather than role playing an edited one (like Shepard). It's an interesting point but the lack of voice acting is still jarring, perhaps a selection of voices is the way to go but that's going to be an expensive and time consuming workaround.

I think Batman was my game of the year, i've been waiting since the 8-bit era for a game that gets the feel of Batman right and this developer who came out of nowhere confidently strode in and got it right first time.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #2892 (permalink)

Today on steam:

Mass Effect 75% off - £3.25.
Sam and Max (the new one) Complete 75% off - £8.25
Portal 75% off - £3.49
Devil May Cry 4 25% off - £11.25
Doom Complete Pack 66% off - £7.85
Red Lynx Trials 2: Second Edition 75% off - £1.49

Cheap day for me, I have everything but Devil May Cry, which I don't care about. Mass Effect for that price is a steal and you can carry over your save file into the sequel, Trials is a must and you already have Portal, right?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #2893 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I just opened my first steam account at the ripe age of 31 years after seeing that offer. Awe-some.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #2894 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I just opened my first steam account at the ripe age of 31 years after seeing that offer. Awe-some.
You just opened a black hole in your bank account, enjoy!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #2895 (permalink)

A mercifully quiet day for the Steam sales.

Red Alert 3 66% off - £6.79
Morrowind GotY Edition 75% off - £3.24
Counterstrike Source 75% off - £3.49
Trine 75% off - £4.24
Painkiller Collector's Pack 75% off - £6.24

I've been meaning to pick up Trine, a fiver will do. I'm hoping for Fallout 3 GotY tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #2896 (permalink)

I just picked up Assassin's Creed 2 for $20 used today. We will see if I can tolerate this game any longer than the first one, though I hear nothing but good things. Also, really really been in the mood to play Bioshock lately. Think I'll pick it up from Playswitch before Bioshock 2 comes out.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #2897 (permalink)

Just completed "Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1" and for it being my first "Point click adventure" I really enjoyed it. Glad to have picked up the telltale bundle off of steam.

Ruesattack, AC2 is leap year superior than its predecessor. I played 2 hours of AC1 and 41 hrs of AC2 (1000 pts gamers core BOOYAA) That is a proper representation of how much better it is.

I'm extremely skeptical of Bioshock 2 and saving my excitement for Mass Effect 2.

I have also been playing tons of games on retrouprising.com especially my childhood favorite "NHL93PA" for the sega genesis and love the "Save game" feature that most classics were missing

Last edited by madeyeshawn; 01-02-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #2898 (permalink)

I found a copy of Oregon Trail at Best Buy and bought it a week ago. I remember this game from my childhood. Still just as fun.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #2899 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyeshawn View Post
I'm extremely skeptical of Bioshock 2 and saving my excitement for Mass Effect 2.
I was sceptical too but then I realised that John Thomas (of the Cradle in Thief: Deadly Shadows and Fort Frolic in Bioshock) is the creative designer. I'm ok with that.

Quote:
I have also been playing tons of games on retrouprising.com especially my childhood favorite "NHL93PA" for the sega genesis and love the "Save game" feature that most classics were missing
Oh man, I will now be spending a lot of time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Living Dead View Post
I found a copy of Oregon Trail at Best Buy and bought it a week ago. I remember this game from my childhood. Still just as fun.
Wow, nice find!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #2900 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyeshawn View Post
Ruesattack, AC2 is leap year superior than its predecessor. I played 2 hours of AC1 and 41 hrs of AC2 (1000 pts gamers core BOOYAA) That is a proper representation of how much better it is.

AC2 has been pretty cool thus far. I've been trying to stick to playing in the streets, blending in with the crowds and stuff instead of just sticking to the rooftops which already makes it more fun than the first one to me. Plus the storyline is infinitely more interesting already.

As far as Bioshock 2 goes, if they even get half of what was right with the original down, it'll be awesome. Plus I heard the sequences where portions of the city cave in and you get to wander the ocean floor are awesome because it plays out in real time instead of as a cutscene. I dunno about the multiplayer so much, but Gamestop is offering a couple of exclusive characters as a preorder bonus so I might as well just plunk down $5 for it. I'm gonna end up buying it anyway.