Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #4211 (permalink)

Not video-game related, but Batman related.

I was actually so impressed after playing the demo, and yes it did bring me back to my childhood when I used to love watching the Batman cartoons and really old show on reruns. That it made me feel lame for never having read an actual Batman comic before. And knowing my way around the internet enough that I'm sure most series won't be hard find somewhere....

I wanted to ask you guys, particularly Tony, where should I start?

While driving around today, I found a comic book store, and wanted to buy just a random comic, but figured I should ask first. There are SO MANY different story arches, don't want to pick up a bad one, or a lame issue, and get disillusioned by a mistake.

I know Batman was introduced from one of the early Detective Comics back in like...the late 30s or something...should I start THERE? I wouldn't mind it, I don't care much about when the comics are from, just whether they're good and where the good start would be for someone's whose only exposure to the Caped Crusader is the old TV show, the movies, and the animated series from the 90s.

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #4212 (permalink)

Chances are the owner of the store will give you some good advice. A lot of the best quotes seem to be from Hush, if that helps!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #4213 (permalink)

What's with the new name? I just noticed you're not evad anymore. Good thing you kept the same avatar.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #4214 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ok, Tony is definitely the exper on this, but i'll give you some personal favourites. Usually they're available as collected issues and they can be read without knowing all the details about the bat background:

1) Year One: My absolute all-time favourite Batman novel of all-time and probably the best work done by the Oh So overrated Frank Miller. It's a fantastic take on the origins of Batman, realistic, tough, dramatic,. drawn beautifully. Some panels are heartbreaking.

2) The Long Halloween: as far as entertainment and epic noir tones, this one is a masterpiece. It might be less pdychoanalytical than other Bat-Tales but it's still freakin' awesome. Has a fantastic take on the origins of Two-Face and a breezy gangster epic tone that's made even better by the 40's styled art (And the number of classic gangster cinema references)

3) The Killing Joke It hasnt aged well as a whole but it' still the best take on The Joker out there and has some of the grestest Batman/joker writing. Still consider it Moore's best traditional work. Great art, too.

4) The Dark Knight Returns If you ask around for Batman reccomendations, this one will pop-out sooner or later... I think it's far less good as people make it to be but it's still one of the first completely "Adult2 batman stories" and has some passages that are downright epic.

Stories that evryone loves but i find Overrated:

-Hush (1 and 2): it's well done and entertaining but definitely messy. Too much plot twists and DC Continuty yapping going on

-Arkham Asylum: honestly, it looks like an art collection with the musing of a madman written all over it. Grant Morrison did far better stuff (but his work needs to be read when you know a buit more about the characters and you feel like being challenged)

The ones everyone talks about but i havent read:

-Batman and Robin - Reborn: Apparently it's the best thing ever. I believe it since Morrison lately is in top form and Frank Quitely is the best artist of the century. Havent read it yet mostly for economic reasons.

-The Cult: I havce it somewhere but never managed to read it. Many say it's a masterpiece.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #4215 (permalink)

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
1) Year One: My absolute all-time favourite Batman novel of all-time and probably the best work done by the Oh So overrated Frank Miller. It's a fantastic take on the origins of Batman, realistic, tough, dramatic,. drawn beautifully. Some panels are heartbreaking.
I saw this one, and at first I thought....FRANK MILLER!? Fuck this. But, I trust you and so I will get this. I was looking through a ton of Batman collections and "favoriting" them so I could go download later, I'll make sure this is one I download.

There's one with Zombies, um...Gotham County Line?? I think it's called...no idea whether it's good or not, but it has zombies so it has to either really suck or be pretty nifty.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #4216 (permalink)

Download? Comic book creators aren't exactly lighting cigars with $100 bills.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #4217 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Dont download comics, man, it's stupid. Buy them.

Not out of principle or moral, but mostly because watching a comic book on a computer screen is like watching movies through pirated cam version.

Get less of them but buy them.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #4218 (permalink)

Arkham Asylum is an awesome game
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #4219 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Dont download comics, man, it's stupid. Buy them.

Not out of principle or moral, but mostly because watching a comic book on a computer screen is like watching movies through pirated cam version.

Get less of them but buy them.
I have to disagree I use Cdisplay to read comics on my pc and love it. If you are late to a comic like the Walking Dead and don't have the money to buy the graphic novels or back issues download it and read it on your pc until you have the loot to buy it.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #4220 (permalink)

Well I don't mind buying some, and I intended to, just thought it'd be easier to find full collections online then at the comic store.

I did get some of the old Detective Comics (online) and read through a few....and jeeeez what's with hating the Chinese? lol

But yeah, the only reason I didn't buy any comics while I was there yesterday was because I had no idea where to start. The Batman section alone was so huge. Please give me some suggestions Tony, I promise I'll buy some. You're THE Batman.

The only comic books I've ever read were some Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors when I when was a kid, but I don't think that counts...lol