Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Do you relate to James Hesky's level of anxiety all too well?
Yes 41 51.25%
No 39 48.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree30Likes

Old 09-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

1854: Group Therapy

with James Hesky

www.twitter.com/JamesHesky

Share this episode: Group Therapy (Keith and The Girl) - Comedy Talk Show & Podcast

Subscribe for free: Keith and The Girl podcast on your iPhone, iPad and iPod with iTunes

Last edited by Marisela; 10-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Band, while not as exciting as sports, is something that one can still participate in when one is in their 60's.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Masturbation, while not as evil as pre-marital sex, sex in the ass, or regular-ass sex, in the eyes of God, is still something sinners can do well into their 40's..
kjsisco and Scumhook like this.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Masturbation, while not as evil as pre-marital sex, sex in the ass, or regular-ass sex, in the eyes of God, is still something sinners can do well into their 40's..
Did you just advocate masturbating into God's eyes?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

A couple things:

Therapy is not just saying to your client that they need to talk to the person causing the problem. The person causing the problem isn't in therapy and they can't suggest courses of actions to them. Most of therapy is developing coping mechanisms for everybody else. For instance, if I were seeing a client and he was having problems with the way his mom talked to him. I would likely in fact encourage him to talk to his mom about how this makes him feel sure absolutely BUT I would also try to bring things into focus. Maybe somethings going on with his mom right now OR if she is just a huge bitchcuntasshat have my client develop a strategy to not take things that his mom says so seriously to heart or a different way to talk with her. Many therapists use specific interventions that have been tested many times to show that they are more effective statistically for patients. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing, ect. are all found to be more helpful than just drugs or therapy alone.

About the psychiatrist going to another psychiatrist and saying that they have all these problems and they are fucked up ect. Yes its true that this happens but I don't think we resent it. We do it behind each others backs when talking about people like most everyone does. I will add that most people who do go into this line of work are fucked up or have family that is fucked up so we have had personal experience with mental illness. In our training we are encouraged to be open about it and even if we don't have depression, anxiety, bipolar or whatever you are encouraged to be a therapist to taste what being the client is like. Removing the stigma from these disorders is an important part of treating our clients because they feel less shame about their disease and stick to treatment better. Part of this, I believe is being open about what problems we as therapists have.

Disclaimer: I'm only like 15 minutes into the show and there is probably going to be more rant in me. Sorry.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I can definitely relate to James' level of anxiety. It reminded me how glad I am that I no longer sit up at night analyzing every move I made that day and how I could have done it better. I don't even remember how I grew out of that.

That really is a version of hell and I wish it on no one.
WittyReference likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Football

When the NFL admits to not disclosing how dangerous the collisions are and pays 765 million dollars; people are still playing this sport right? Like, nothing has changed for future players. So why the big pay-off?

Aren't there studies showing that because football players wear helmets they are actually in more danger because they hit harder under the guise of being 'protected?' I've heard the argument that football would actually be safer without head gear.

I've also heard that football players commit suicide by shooting themselves in the chest so that scientists can study the damage done to their brains from these collisions. The human brain wasn't designed to be repeatedly traumatized and bounced around.

Kind of gives you a new respect for these players. Pay them millions cuz it's not like they're going to be able to do any job whatsoever after a season or two.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Eating out

Chemdha reminded me of a thing I want to start to do when going out to eat. I'm gonna get 2 appetizers instead of an entree. and maybe a small salad too. That's three different things for around the same price as an entree.

Also, some places seem to just phone in the entrees and produce better apps. I think it's because the assumption is that you're going to get an entree no matter what, but the same doesn't hold for apps. So they have to worker harder to get that app on your table and more effort gets put into it.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The point James made about how girls responded to him when he told them about his work with disabled people resonated with me. When I've been asked what I do and have answered that I am a nurse in a Neonatal ICU - premature babies - I have gotten that exact same response...yet they still want to go off and fuck the meat head bad boy. Ben Stiller's portrayal of Gaylord Focker (a male nurse), has also done nothing for the gloss of my chosen day job.

The maxim - "Nice guys finish last" never sounded more true as I listened to this episode.

American Football - I just don't get it. Doesn't that game take like 4 hours or something to get through? You people seriously need to have a look at Australian Rules Football. Our players wear none of that ridiculous gear your players wear, the action is far and away faster and more intense and the game is done and dusted in a little over 120 minutes.

Sure, most of our players are the same bad boy meat heads your players are and they still get to fuck the chicks bu...

I think I may have nulified my argument.

James was a great guest.

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 09-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

3 to 3.5 hours, barring overtime. There is an occasional 4 hour game.

There are WAY too many stops in the game. It's not the game that's at fault, it's TV. If there's one thing I like about soccer (futbol), it's that there aren't any stoppages.

Unless my team is playing at the time (NY Giants - not so good so far), I watch a channel called NFL Red Zone. There aren't any commercials and they switch to the most exciting game at the time. Sometimes they show two, three, four at once if they need to. They'll also do rewinds of plays that led to the current excitement. It's the best way to watch the game(s) if you don't have a current rooting interest in one team.

National Football League: NFL RedZone Every Touchdown From Every Game

Last edited by BrianAlt; 09-27-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: s <> d