Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Show Talk

Show Talk Talk about the show

View Poll Results: Is it okay to use actors long dead in new movie projects?
Yes 9 21.95%
No 32 78.05%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree46Likes

Old 11-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

3185: The Devil You Know w/ Michael Khalili

Public libraries; James Dean (RIP) to star in Vietnam War movie; rapper T.I. regularly checks 18-year-old daughter's hymen for impurities; listeners relate to The Dad Emails and Keith tells his father "he knows"; Christian comedian cancels tour over "sexual sin"; listener writes in after learning that they're an alcoholic

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
The Girl and Archimedes_Screw like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Cool episode. It had a circa 2006 katg feel to it with the sound quality being a little off (probably cause of makeshift studio) and Michael as a guest
Bucho, Cubeforce and porky2468 like this.

Last edited by 89vision; 11-11-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89vision View Post
Cool episode. It had a circa 2006 katg feel to it with the sound quality being a little off (probably cause of makeshift studio) and Michael as a guest
I remember the Michael story from all that time ago!! I'll have to try and find the Jerk It Out song after this.
Keith and Bucho like this.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

There was a good Adam Ruins Everything episode about what the hymen actually is https://youtu.be/1ikXim4wevc So we shouldn't be bleeding if we actually are ready and warmed up for sex. But the people checking probably don't want you to be enjoying it when you're finally "allowed" to have it.

And virginity is such a weird concept. Is there anything else that is measured by not having done something?
Keith, Bucho and littlp like this.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Please let there be no doubt about the impact you've had on your listeners' way of looking at family and how they relate.

In my family no one gets along with their siblings (thank you mom for making me an only child!). A few years ago my aunt (mom's sister, my neighbor at the time) was being her usually cunty self and I just yelled at her, I screamed, I cursed her out. Everything I felt my mom could never say to her, I did.

I felt guilty for a while but I was already a listener and you were already processing your own feelings, and it helped me a lot to understand that because you share blood ties you may not share world views, friendship, or even interest.

I cannot care any less about what my aunt thinks or does, and if she dies tomorrow I'll go ok, dead, bye.

It's not as dramatic as with a parent, of course, but you have had an integral role in making me not feel alone or weird, and also on getting specific words to explain this to my mom, and making her too process her sadness and feel better. So thank you.
Keith, The Girl, Bucho and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ThumbnailTwo; 11-11-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia View Post
Keith’s father might have been the best available choice for his mother.
He is not a drunk or physically abusive. I know it’s a very low bar, but for women in small towns who were not allowed to leave the house alone to go out or to really work and meet people this was something.
I think about this a lot, Apia. Whenever it's said that Keith's mom could have left, I can think of all the women in my town that don't know any better/ can't leave because they have kids/ have nowhere to go/ don't make enough money to leave/ are pressured by their parents to stay married/ are pressured by society to be a good wife...

Not knowing the entire story, what we do know is that Keith's mom was a young woman in a small town, in the 70's, with 5 kids and a nutjob of a husband. It's the story of so many women, and I feel we could be blaming the victim.
Keith, Bucho, Apia and 1 others like this.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

It's a testament to the constant effort that goes into the audio quality of the show that my first thought when listening to this episode was "why is there sandpaper in my ears??"
Old 11-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Where is this library that you can record podcasts in? I live on Long Island as well.
Bucho likes this.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Chemda mentioned that people like Keith get energized from alcohol. That's actually (according to a book I read about alcoholism) a classic trait of an alcoholic -- they get energized and fun when they are drunk because their liver processes alcohol differently. Downside is that it is more harmful to the liver because of that.

Alcohol is not a depressant for an alcoholic. Imagine if booze was a mild form of cocaine -- you'd fucking love it.
Keith, Bucho, Apia and 1 others like this.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sung View Post
Where is this library that you can record podcasts in? I live on Long Island as well.
Someone doesn't know from Show Pics...

But I know you're genuine cause you seem to know it's living ON Long Island.

Sachem Public Library. Take 17 trains, a bus, and an Uber and you're golden.
The Girl and Piscean like this.