• 4 Post By reedcj
  • 3 Post By thirteen
  • 2 Post By vezione
  • 4 Post By rodimusprime
  • 5 Post By litlokc
  • 2 Post By litlokc
  • 2 Post By littlp
  • 2 Post By Svage

Old 05-18-2024, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

3819: Bad Boy to Life w/ Craig Klein and Chris

The Diamond Dogs are back! Whether it’s about Pepperidge Farm, the shockingly violent Sean “Puff Daddy Diddy Puffy Love” Combs hotel video, Kansas City Chiefs' kicker Harrison Butker’s controversial commencement speech on women, or the blatant racism in Congress; Chris, Craig, and Keith got some barking to do.

Guest:
Craig Klein

Share this episode: Twitter, Facebook & email

Get the show: on iTunes, on Stitcher and RSS feed
reedcj likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Oh my another super awesome episode and the chat was on fire as usual, and I refuse the poll because I think it's a battle of Titans that is on equal footing just different versions, Keith and Craig are like long lost twins from different families that stay within one another's orbits! Ya both smaart!!!!
Keith, litlokc and XenoTitty like this.
Old 05-18-2024, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Shout out to Chris for riding the wave of madness when those two get together! Herd those cats!!!
Old 05-18-2024, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

There's a reason most, if not all, of the mnemonic devices to remember the cardinal points go clockwise. That's the "default" direction.

But it can be hard to remember them. I always use "never eat shredded wheat". And I still get confused when it comes to wings of houses (like the east wing or the west wing). But the saying helps a lot.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is going to be a long one.

First, I do think Keith is smart. He is insightful and can reference experiences from many points in his life. That is useful. I get the feeling Craig dismisses this type of intelligence. I laughed when Craig referenced, "Oh what a tangled web we weave..." and Keith followed up with his version of, "When first we practice to deceive." I laughed at the attempt, but it was totally left unacknowledged. I think the farts confuse people.

But I think Keith is right about something: Topographic Agnosia. I've sat on this for a while, thinking somebody on air is bound to talk about it. There are conditions where people struggle with direction and/or orientation. (And didn't everybody learn the cross? North, South, East, West? [Father, Son, Holy Ghost]. What is this North East South West nonsense?) Here's a link on topographical disorientation.

There are lots of people who can't make sense of direction. And they're not making it up! I'm not a professional, so I can't make a diagnosis, but I believe Keith falls somewhere on this spectrum. It just happens to be a fun fact of the brain; sometimes, it likes to screw people. I think the test for Keith is whether or not he feels anxiety with directions or maps.

I have face blindness (prosopagnosia) where I don't recognize people's faces. This caused a lot of social anxiety for the longest time. It still does. Every time I go into public, I get anxiety about whether or not I'm supposed to know who somebody is when I'm in a public place. Frequent exposure to something regularly burns it more into my memory, so it's not like I never remember anybody. Just as frequently traveling the streets would get someone used to the directionality of their movement.

Next, OMG! I've had "demons" in my sleep too. It's called sleep paralysis, and I've dealt with it since I was a kid. It's a situation where you're kind of awake, but your body thinks it's asleep, so you can't move. This is terrifying. It often manifests in feelings of dread and thinking you can see figures moving about in your actual space. I specifically remember a situation where I thought I saw two red eyes coming closer to me. I couldn't move. I told my mother years later, and her response was, "Oh, that must be when the devil got you." I'm gay and was aghast that this person thought there was a physical thing that made me gay. I've never been religious and never believed any of that.

It still happens today.

The problem with this conversation is disregarding the things people say they experience. I experience this frequently, as do millions of others. To brush it off as you do, as simply "justification," is erasing the actual experience. I can 100% see how someone with sleep paralysis can link it to religious experiences. It makes sense, but it also makes me wonder what came first: the sleep paralysis or the religion. Are concepts of "the devil" actually just things people have experienced and had no explanation for?

No amount of knowing what this actually is prevents it from being terrifying every time it happens. I sleep with a red light on so that I have some room illumination. It will happen if the room is completely dark, and I have gotten to the point where I shout out in my sleep. So much so that one time, someone else in the dorm I lived in knocked on my door to ask if I was okay.

I'm not saying you have to believe what someone is saying they saw in their dreams. Interpretations get whacky depending on where you're coming from. This is something that people legitimately experience, though.
rodimusprime and XenoTitty like this.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezione View Post

First, I do think Keith is smart. He is insightful and can reference experiences from many points in his life. That is useful. I get the feeling Craig dismisses this type of intelligence. I laughed when Craig referenced, "Oh what a tangled web we weave..." and Keith followed up with his version of, "When first we practice to deceive." I laughed at the attempt, but it was totally left unacknowledged. I think the farts confuse people.

But I think Keith is right about something: Topographic Agnosia. I've sat on this for a while, thinking somebody on air is bound to talk about it. There are conditions where people struggle with direction and/or orientation. (And didn't everybody learn the cross? North, South, East, West? [Father, Son, Holy Ghost]. What is this North East South West nonsense?) Here's a link on topographical disorientation.

There are lots of people who can't make sense of direction. And they're not making it up! I'm not a professional, so I can't make a diagnosis, but I believe Keith falls somewhere on this spectrum. It just happens to be a fun fact of the brain; sometimes, it likes to screw people. I think the test for Keith is whether or not he feels anxiety with directions or maps.

I have face blindness (prosopagnosia) where I don't recognize people's faces. This caused a lot of social anxiety for the longest time. It still does. Every time I go into public, I get anxiety about whether or not I'm supposed to know who somebody is when I'm in a public place. Frequent exposure to something regularly burns it more into my memory, so it's not like I never remember anybody. Just as frequently traveling the streets would get someone used to the directionality of their movement.

Next, OMG! I've had "demons" in my sleep too. It's called sleep paralysis, and I've dealt with it since I was a kid. It's a situation where you're kind of awake, but your body thinks it's asleep, so you can't move. This is terrifying. It often manifests in feelings of dread and thinking you can see figures moving about in your actual space. I specifically remember a situation where I thought I saw two red eyes coming closer to me. I couldn't move. I told my mother years later, and her response was, "Oh, that must be when the devil got you." I'm gay and was aghast that this person thought there was a physical thing that made me gay. I've never been religious and never believed any of that.

It still happens today.

The problem with this conversation is disregarding the things people say they experience. I experience this frequently, as do millions of others. To brush it off as you do, as simply "justification," is erasing the actual experience. I can 100% see how someone with sleep paralysis can link it to religious experiences. It makes sense, but it also makes me wonder what came first: the sleep paralysis or the religion. Are concepts of "the devil" actually just things people have experienced and had no explanation for?

No amount of knowing what this actually is prevents it from being terrifying every time it happens. I sleep with a red light on so that I have some room illumination. It will happen if the room is completely dark, and I have gotten to the point where I shout out in my sleep. So much so that one time, someone else in the dorm I lived in knocked on my door to ask if I was okay.

I'm not saying you have to believe what someone is saying they saw in their dreams. Interpretations get whacky depending on where you're coming from. This is something that people legitimately experience, though.
I didn't read all of this but I agree with all of it.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

“I’m just curious. To better understand your ruling, if someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody’s bleached blonde, bad-built, butch body, that would not be engaging in personalities, correct?” Rep. Crockett asked.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

How does Hollywood find this people? I've been in alot of good & bad co-worker conversations, yet never had someone said "They had a demon in dream". Then to lean in and ask them to clearify, "how do you mean demon?"
XenoTitty and reedcj like this.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I’ve taught my kids that if they hold both hands up with their index finger vertical and their thumb horizontal, the one that looks like an L is their left hand.

Don’t ask me to go NSEW when giving me directions. Please tell me which way to turn or to keep going straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2024, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezione View Post

It still happens today.

Ima need a tl:dr bro