Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

This dog needs dead.

I have this obnoxious, stupid, criminal neighbor with a dog that won't stop barking whenever it hears talking, sees people anywhere outside, or notices there are leaves on the trees. I've gone through the police and animal control for months and they're not doing enough. And yes, there is a noise ordinance making such barking dogs illegal in my town.

I've read mixed reviews on those automatic sonic things (not powerful enough), so I've decided to make my own. I can create the frequency, and know I'd need some tweeters that have a range up to about 30kHz, but I'm no electronics engineer and have no idea what other gear would be required, or how to wire it up.

Basically I want to turn this thing on and make the dog run for cover, so it has to be loud.

Anyone have experience with audio hardware like this? I don't have a big budget and don't want to be spending money fixing their problem anyway. Tweeters are really cheap so I'm hopeful the rest will be too.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

is this dog ever in the yard? If so just punch it in the fucking face. Hard. If it still barks repeat. Eventually it will get the idea.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hire The Gunner to take care of the problem.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

The only thing Ive ever seen work for obnoxious dogs is a gun with some blanks. If you dont have a gun then buy one, you have a ciminal neighbor for Gods sake.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabbyhappy View Post
The only thing Ive ever seen work for obnoxious dogs is a gun with some blanks. If you dont have a gun then buy one, you have a ciminal neighbor for Gods sake.
This man is a goddamned genius.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

More research required.

A 555 timer hooked up as the input to an amplifier hooked to a set of speakers should provide the circuit you are looking for. All of the money would be tied up in the audio speaker and amplifier. You would need a soldering iron and about 10 minutes of soldering.

However, what is the optimal frequency? What is the power spectral density for the speakers that you are looking at in that frequency? I doubt that most speakers have much power output at the high frequencies we are talking about, because there would be no point, humans can't hear it, so the power is not wasted producing them.

Detecting a dog barking would require a detailed analysis of dog barks in the frequency domain. If it's peculiar enough, a simple microprocessor like a pic32 would work. If not, you need a DSP processor and real engineering work.

I like the gun with blanks idea. It has the added benefit of your neighbor seeing you pulling out a gun every time his dog gets stupid.

Last edited by flerchin; 05-17-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
I like the gun with blanks idea. It has the added benefit of your neighbor seeing you pulling out a gun every time his dog gets stupid.
You guys are joking about this, right? You might want to read up on brandishing and discharging a firearm in a residential zone/within city limits (varies depending where you live). You might end up being rid of your dog problem and instead wake up next to a 'Bubba' problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
A 555 timer hooked up as the input to an amplifier hooked to a set of speakers should provide the circuit you are looking for. All of the money would be tied up in the audio speaker and amplifier. You would need a soldering iron and about 10 minutes of soldering.

However, what is the optimal frequency? What is the power spectral density for the speakers that you are looking at in that frequency? I doubt that most speakers have much power output at the high frequencies we are talking about, because there would be no point, humans can't hear it, so the power is not wasted producing them.

Detecting a dog barking would require a detailed analysis of dog barks in the frequency domain. If it's peculiar enough, a simple microprocessor like a pic32 would work. If not, you need a DSP processor and real engineering work.

Thanks for a real answer! I was reading that dogs can hear up to 40kHz and dog whistles are generally under 22kHz, so I was going to range from 17-30kHz to see what was most effective. I was looking at these speakers: Amazon.com: Pyle PSN1165 4.35" Square Dispersion Horn Piezo Tweeter (pair):… If you have another suggestion for speakers I'm all ears.

I'm not going to bother with auto detecting. Triggering it manually is fine by me. I'll get great pleasure from seeing the dog run away.

Would a PC or other audio player hooked to the amp, and then the speakers produce the same result? If I used more than one speaker, would I need to scale up the amp power accordingly? I have an interest in this stuff but never learned.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

30 kHz is the max frequency output of those speakers, expect reduced power output near the edges of their output range (ie not as loud). 200W seems pretty freaking loud though, and I'm betting that the anti-dog machines are much lower power.

I would be surprised if a consumer level audio card or audio player will produce any signal above 22kHz (this is the maximum frequency due to digital sampling theory). The only cheap way to find out would be to generate two signals near eachother in those high frequencies and listen for the beat frequency generated*. You already have a pc and audio player though, so why not hook it up and find out?

The parts for a one off driver circuit would be less than $20, but require some electronics work to make it happen.

*If your pc, or other audio device, already has speakers hooked up, set it to drive some high frequency, eg 28,000 Hz, and simultaneously drive another frequency close to that one, eg 28004 Hz. You should hear an oscillating tone when they are both being produced, if your pc is capable of generating them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyUserName View Post
Thanks for a real answer! I was reading that dogs can hear up to 40kHz and dog whistles are generally under 22kHz, so I was going to range from 17-30kHz to see what was most effective. I was looking at these speakers: Amazon.com: Pyle PSN1165 4.35" Square Dispersion Horn Piezo Tweeter (pair):… If you have another suggestion for speakers I'm all ears.

I'm not going to bother with auto detecting. Triggering it manually is fine by me. I'll get great pleasure from seeing the dog run away.

Would a PC or other audio player hooked to the amp, and then the speakers produce the same result? If I used more than one speaker, would I need to scale up the amp power accordingly? I have an interest in this stuff but never learned.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

pepper spray