Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #2931 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notedhero View Post
I love it. It's gorgeous, and as far as action/adventure shooter go, it has me hooked. I play online with friends a lot, and I'm obsessed with leveling up, getting characters, etc. I've already beaten the game on normal, and I'm definitely going to go back and do it on hard.
It just shows what the PS3 can do when developers use it's insanely designed architecture to it's full potential. I also like that one of the best looking blockbuster action games also has great characters and voice work and a story that holds together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyeshawn View Post
Yeah dude, how about Sunday 10th in the day time?
Chicago is six hours behind GMT but I'll be home from work 7-8 GMT tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naberdy View Post
I found a copy of Dark Corners at a used game store. It really is a fantastic game, as you travel around the game you can see things that will start to make you go crazy. There isn't a sanity meter or anything but your character will just start having hallucinations. It's done incredibly well and the game also has a lot of small references to a bunch of Lovecraft's short stories.
I'm gonna have to seek it out, I'm baffled as to why it's not on digital distribution yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I found my self re-playing a couple of levels of Bioshock, lately. All considered, the charcters that have most of my sympathy (besides the fact that they kick your ass) are the big daddies. Even more than the controversil little sisters. Such sad sad creatures... I just loved how they generally never attacked if you didnt attack them first or touch the sisters, but they jusat pushed you away. As an old school gamer that was used to shoot at everything inn sight, learning that you could actually cross their way and go on, was one of the many pleasantly distiurbing things in this universe.

I seriously hope their role is expanded in the sequel.
I think it's become one of my favourite games (up there with Half Life 2, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and Rez), even if it does fall apart in the third act. I loved watching the Big Daddies and Little Sister's interact, such an atmospheric world. I have high hopes for the sequel but I'm unsure why multiplayer is there, beyond sales.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #2932 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I somehow missed this one yesterday but wolfire are offering a preorder pack of Natural Selection 2 (followup to the aliens vs marines Half-Life mod)

I will mess you all up in NS. been playing it since it came out. wish unknown worlds would stop putting out press releases and fricking put out the game already.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #2933 (permalink)

Just finished Mass Effect, looking forward to ME2. Just read if you die in ME2 that you cannot continue with that character into ME3. I am still playing COD:MW2. Only made it to Major.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #2934 (permalink)

Killzone 2
I borrowed this from work and - while they never reach the infamous target footage - it's very impressive on a technical level.

There are things I like about the game - the furious combat combined with the slower and movement that encourages pushing forward and tactical planning and the realistic, solid look and feel of the weapons.

It's kind of a shame that all that technical work has been put into a game of dull greys and uninspired browns, a design ethos seemed to be carried through the bland story, samey levels and uninteresting characters.

Unfortunately, the game seems set up against it's strengths - some examples that come to mind are the fast turning insect-like helicopter boss and the final encounter with an invisible, grenade spamming enemy who can teleport behind you and knife you in the back, killing you instantly.
Why you'd create deliberate turning and then put things behind the player that can kill them instantly, I don't know but it's all the more frustrating when combined with poor checkpointing and heavy scripting.

The great technical achievement squandered on dull, derivative design, the idiotic characters, the inarticulate ('fuckin') script and the linear gameplay with NPCs constantly yelling at you feels like everything I hate about Gears of War combined with everything I hate about Modern Warfare - it's a bombastic, expensive and disappointing step backwards for the shooter that seems to define this generation quite well.

Some of you may remember that I was getting together PS2 games for my 60gb PS3, I suspect fewer of you will care but I found Shadow of the Colossus today, bringing the list to:

Onimusha 2, 3 and 4
Ratchet and Clank 1, 2 and 3
Spiderman 2
The Red Star
Sly Cooper/Raccoon 1, 2 and 3
Soul Reaver 2
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3
Persona 4
Rayman 10th Anniversary (1-3)
Rayman Revolution
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3 SE
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Yakuza 1 and 2
Odin Sphere
Parappa the Rappa 2
Jak and Daxter 1 and 2
Ico
Shadow of Colossus
Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner
God Hand
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

I'm still looking for Final Fantasy X, Silent Hill 3, Katamari and GrimGrimoire but I'm pretty pleased and surprised how how quickly and cheaply I've found the games I wanted.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #2935 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Mass Effect grew on me. IT's fucking huge, and that's a plus. The universe is immense and designed beautifully (even the map on the ship is great to look at). The unvierse behinfd the story is extremely interesting, especially if you're into poetic/philosphical sci-fi, wioth every single race and character having a detailed backstory behind them. The style of the actoion took me a while to get used to and some charcters are way less interesting than others (I think that Wrex is much a fascinating character than Ashley, for example, while Kaidan and Shperd himself look like stereotypes), but that might have been ruined by the horrendous dubbing of my version (couldnt get rid of it).

I would like to see more of those type of cinematic/atmospheric games, whatever the type of game is, on PC. It seems that the more epic stuff only comes out on ps3 or xbox (like Uncharted).
Old 01-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #2936 (permalink)

I couldn't remember the name while you were putting your list together but I definitely recommend Metal Saga for the PS2. It's an adventure game where you get to build personalized tanks for your characters to ride in.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #2937 (permalink)

"gta: Chinatown wars" Is fucking awesome.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #2938 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Mass Effect grew on me. IT's fucking huge, and that's a plus. The universe is immense and designed beautifully (even the map on the ship is great to look at). The unvierse behinfd the story is extremely interesting, especially if you're into poetic/philosphical sci-fi, wioth every single race and character having a detailed backstory behind them. The style of the actoion took me a while to get used to and some charcters are way less interesting than others (I think that Wrex is much a fascinating character than Ashley, for example, while Kaidan and Shperd himself look like stereotypes), but that might have been ruined by the horrendous dubbing of my version (couldnt get rid of it).

I would like to see more of those type of cinematic/atmospheric games, whatever the type of game is, on PC. It seems that the more epic stuff only comes out on ps3 or xbox (like Uncharted).
It's lovely isn't it? I like that even the architecture is thought out. I had to change Shepard, way too generic otherwise (now a lady!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naberdy View Post
I couldn't remember the name while you were putting your list together but I definitely recommend Metal Saga for the PS2. It's an adventure game where you get to build personalized tanks for your characters to ride in.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. Just got Klonoa 2 and Gitaroo Man today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyeshawn View Post
"gta: Chinatown wars" Is fucking awesome.
Isn't it just? It feels like what GTA 3 would have been if it stayed 2D, the DS version is impressive and the PSP one looks even better.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #2939 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
King's Bounty: The Legend is 40% off on GamersGate £5.95. Not played it myself but I hear great things, a rather lovely looking tactical RPG.

Well I feel silly.

75% off King's Bounty: Gold Edition (King's Bounty + Armored Princess) £8.75

King's Bounty on it's own is £2.49
Armored Princess on it's own is £7.49

If you don't buy King's Bounty for less than a cup of coffee, you are broken.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #2940 (permalink)

The fifth (?) episode of the Strong Bad game is free for the day.

Last edited by standardman; 01-13-2010 at 07:38 PM.