Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #4871 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
madeyeshawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,006
Monday Night Combat is free on steam this week, message me on steam and join the fun.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #4872 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cretaceous Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,356
Homefront smelled like ass for the entire PR cycle. They talked too much shit about doing new stuff with an FPS, which is a major, major clue. Big publishers do not back FPSs that do interesting things. Publishers back shitty FPSs and let the PR guys spin that into being unconventional.

Also, it was made by Kaos Studios. FPSs are a very honed craft; if somebody makes a bad one, they will continue to make bad ones. Those dudes made Frontlines: Fuel of War. That game was butt.

I am instead playing Dragon Age II and am a little confused as to why the internet has been running around yelling about the sky falling because of this game. People like to point at EA and shout about how BioWare has fallen, which makes me think nobody remembers Jade Empire.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #4873 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Homefront smelled like ass for the entire PR cycle. They talked too much shit about doing new stuff with an FPS, which is a major, major clue. Big publishers do not back FPSs that do interesting things. Publishers back shitty FPSs and let the PR guys spin that into being unconventional.

Also, it was made by Kaos Studios. FPSs are a very honed craft; if somebody makes a bad one, they will continue to make bad ones. Those dudes made Frontlines: Fuel of War. That game was butt.

I am instead playing Dragon Age II and am a little confused as to why the internet has been running around yelling about the sky falling because of this game. People like to point at EA and shout about how BioWare has fallen, which makes me think nobody remembers Jade Empire.
i was hoping this wasn't the case for Homefront. i just wanted a new FPS where you weren't the invading force. and i forgot all about Frontlines. haha

i played through the first Dragon Age and it was pretty solid other than the basic glitches that seem like they should have been taken care of in the early stages. i plan on getting Dragon Age II
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #4874 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
unrealrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchLives View Post
i played through the first Dragon Age and it was pretty solid other than the basic glitches that seem like they should have been taken care of in the early stages. i plan on getting Dragon Age II
Fletch, I'm not here to talk you out of DA2, but I want to give you a bit of info that I wish I had before I had bought the game.

I'm on my second play-through now, and my opinion hasn't changed. For me, the "political intrigue" that they are trying to go for is entirely transparent and something I'm surprised that came from Bioware. Also, expect repetition. Repetition of enemies, conversation, plot points, equipment, and the worst... environments. While I read that there are something like 10 dungeons total, the way they are reused makes it feel like 3-4. Sure it's a gripe aimed at a lot of rpgs (morrowind/oblivion too), but DA2 just does it really badly.

Last thing I want to do is ask you to think about why you liked DA:O. I enjoyed (some of) the characters, the grand adventure, the story, and the little touches which included a better integration of side-characters and more interesting repercussions from your decisions. DA2 strips all of that away. I'm not saying the game is shit. It's not Daikatana. But it's been a pretty big disappointment to me, my gf, and basically all my friends who have played it. Apparently some people think it's better than the first. I can't imagine how.

Go ahead and take what I say with a grain of salt, since games are purely subjective, but I might suggest a rent before a buy.
__________________

Go Canada!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #4875 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Medium Brumski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 660
Dragon Age is also on my list of "great new RPG's" that were disappointing
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #4876 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cretaceous Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealrob View Post
I'm on my second play-through now, and my opinion hasn't changed. For me, the "political intrigue" that they are trying to go for is entirely transparent and something I'm surprised that came from Bioware. Also, expect repetition. Repetition of enemies, conversation, plot points, equipment, and the worst... environments. While I read that there are something like 10 dungeons total, the way they are reused makes it feel like 3-4. Sure it's a gripe aimed at a lot of rpgs (morrowind/oblivion too), but DA2 just does it really badly.
What's especially bad about DA2 is fucking so much geometry is from DAO. The enemies and armor are all recycled. The fuck is that.

Sure, DA2 isn't up to par with BioWare's other games, just like Jade Empire, but it still kicks everything else in the nuts.

Also, Varric. Love that guy.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #4877 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
Dragon Age is also on my list of "great new RPG's" that were disappointing
i think it was great in terms of storyline, especially in a time where most games are so scripted and stiff it hurts.

i liked how they gave weight to decisions and the whole approach was dramatic and layered and NOT cinematic.

but in terms of gameplay. hm. as Cannata said on Weekend Confirmed, the fighting was supposed to be tactics heavy and old school hard, but it did stop my gameplay to a halt at times. Some enemies later in the game were a chore.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #4878 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Cretaceous Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
i think it was great in terms of storyline, especially in a time where most games are so scripted and stiff it hurts.

i liked how they gave weight to decisions and the whole approach was dramatic and layered and NOT cinematic.

but in terms of gameplay. hm. as Cannata said on Weekend Confirmed, the fighting was supposed to be tactics heavy and old school hard, but it did stop my gameplay to a halt at times. Some enemies later in the game were a chore.
We're talking about the first game, right? The first game punishes you if you don't pay attention to building your party's stats correctly and using them properly. Games don't do that anymore, so it's really disorienting for modern gamers.

The game did piss me off when I was playing Nightmare difficulty and I'd gotten through the entire game on Nightmare and I got to hard part at the very end of the game; basically 1 out of 10 times I managed to beat that area, but it froze on me all 3 times I managed to beat it. Finally I was forced to say fuck it and I dropped it down to casual, got past that area, then cranked it back up.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #4879 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 901
well, i still have Oblivion, so fuck DA2.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #4880 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
We're talking about the first game, right? The first game punishes you if you don't pay attention to building your party's stats correctly and using them properly. Games don't do that anymore, so it's really disorienting for modern gamers.
.
Yes, i havent played the second. well that reminded mew of old school rpg's actually, but i felt like it didnt help you get to a proper level before you met the really gnarly fights. They just came at you, unlike the blizzard type villains.

also that approach felt weird in the flow of the rest of the game. it demanded you followed that hypercomplex storyline and then had you in a sould crushing combat that tested your patience.

classic old school pc gaming approach, though. fuck now i want to play it again.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger