Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree37Likes

Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #51 (permalink)

For fiction I am a major Sci-Fi/Horror reader but I also read a lot of history stuff too. Here are a couple I read over this past summer.

1. Gangs of New York: Herbert Asbury, Very informative and entertaining read in making the movie Martin Scorsese must have taken a lot from this.

2. World War Z: Max Brooks, Stays true to the Zombie world of George Romero but modernizes it in a good way.

3. D-Day Stephen Ambrose. This is the one I am currently reading and so far it hasn't been disappointing, the facts are interesting and the writing is very well done. For military/WW2 history Stephen Ambrose is definitely one of my favorite authors.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #52 (permalink)

At the oh so high praise courtesy of Keith I started reading an anthology of Sherlock Holmes stories and I love it! I've read both "A Study in Scarlet" and "The Hound of the Baskervilles" as well as a handful of short stories about Sherlock Holmes, and I've enjoyed them all so far.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
At the oh so high praise courtesy of Keith I started reading an anthology of Sherlock Holmes stories and I love it! I've read both "A Study in Scarlet" and "The Hound of the Baskervilles" as well as a handful of short stories about Sherlock Holmes, and I've enjoyed them all so far.
I had to read Hound of the Baskerville's in high school and I really loved it as well, haven't read another Holmes mystery since but the movie kind of made me want to check some more out.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #54 (permalink)

I've been on a British kick the past couple of weeks, reading:

Up at the Villa by W. Somerset Maugham
All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West
The Sea by John Banville
The Magus by John Fowles
The Green Man by Kingsley Amis

All of which were fair to good (excluding Amis, whom I don't care for.) The best reads were not British:

The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino
Man's Fate by Andre Malraux

Although the best book of the month was Tom Jones* by Henry Fielding: a fucking riot! The film was great too.

*No relation to the Welsh lothario
Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #55 (permalink)

Last good book:

currently reading:
Old 09-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #56 (permalink)

Swung by my local Borders before work today to pick up the new William Gibson novel. I'm only 50 pages into it so I guess it isn't the "last" good book I read but so far, so good. My only knock so far is I can't imagine anybody that hasn't read "Spook Country" and "Pattern Recognition" would be able to follow what's going on in "Zero History". Will be curious to see how this does this week, sales-wise
Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #57 (permalink)

Ancestor by Scott Sigler

I started by listening to the chapters online. They were coming too slow so I bought the book. It is awesome.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #58 (permalink)

Anthill by E.O. Wilson.

A first foray as a novelist by famed scientist, and reining "King of the Ant's", E.O. Wilson. The story was passable, but then again this is his first novel. What made this a good book were all the comparisons (allegory) made between us as humans and multiple colonies of ants.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #59 (permalink)

Thumbs up

"the Acid House"by Irvine Welsh.Its a bunch of his short story's,but they all still read like Trainspoting and Filth and his others.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #60 (permalink)

Lowlife by Simon Eddisbury

I'd definitely recommend it- it's a book by a British university student who ended up going to prison for whatever reason and questioned all of the other prisoners about their crimes and how they ended up in prison. Some crazy things in there like some guy he talked to had been selling hand granades and another guy he met had killed someone and ate their flesh!