Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree37Likes

Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #71 (permalink)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Not what I thought it would be, and twice as enjoyable as I thought it was going to be.
Jmsmittyroad likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #72 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Very satisfying conclusion to the (unfortunately shortened) series. I definitely recommend all three of the Millennium Trilogy books. An enthralling read to say the least.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #73 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx View Post
Not what I thought it would be, and twice as enjoyable as I thought it was going to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzbot View Post

Very satisfying conclusion to the (unfortunately shortened) series. I definitely recommend all three of the Millennium Trilogy books. An enthralling read to say the least.
Both great books. I forgot about Zen and the art of motorcycles and I think I need to read it again its been about ten years.

The trilogy books leave you looking for more and unfortunatly we will not be getting any more from such a great author
Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtballard View Post
Both great books. I forgot about Zen and the art of motorcycles and I think I need to read it again its been about ten years.
I agree with that one. I read that with the Power of One at the same time.

I've started The Kite Runner and love it so far. I started the Life of Pi, but I can't get past him on the raft.

I have a huge romanticism with books, and have a number unfinished but I find holding books hurts quite a bit since I got so sick.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #75 (permalink)

I didn't like Stieg Larsson's 'Girl With The...' trilogy at all.
I felt like the author is a weak little cunt who wants to rape and torture women but aligns himself as a feminist so he can write it. It doesn't add up and I think I'm glad he is dead.

Stephen King writes good fucked-up books and you don't feel all dirty after reading them.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Christopher Hitchens - God Is Not Great. That's a pretty good panning of religion, if that's your bag. Very clever.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #76 (permalink)

Last Good Book

William Gibson's Zero Hour. I started reading Stehpen King and have read almost everything he has written but I absolutely love everything Gibson has written and have read them all at least twice besides his newest which is the one I just finished.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 AM   #77 (permalink)

Just read this tonight. It's a graphic novel, doesn't take very long. It's nice and simple in how Ames bares his soul. I really like that quality about it. I didn't see anything pretentious about it. It's just here's the facts and there's no moral stance or hero making. Ames is becoming a bit more well known due to his writing the HBO show "Bored to Death", which has the same quality about it and which I find sort of refreshing. Try it, it only takes a couple of hours. Ames also performs live speeches... I guess... which are cool (The Moth-stories told live without notes).
Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #78 (permalink)

Two more very good books: His Master's Voice by Stanisław Lem and The Way of the Kings by André Malraux (both intellectual, while entertaining, novels -- the later sort of an "Indiana Jones" for grown ups based on the authors own experiences in French Indochina.)
Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neRD View Post
William Gibson's Zero Hour. I started reading Stehpen King and have read almost everything he has written but I absolutely love everything Gibson has written and have read them all at least twice besides his newest which is the one I just finished.
Off to the bookstore, I really need to pick this one up. I've been a fan of his for about a decade now, but I especially really like the direction he has taken since Pattern Recognition - it feels a lot more mature and developed to me. I'll stop there :-)
Old 10-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #80 (permalink)

How to stop worrying and start living, by Dale Carnegie. Changed my life.