Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Oakland View Post
What game were you watching that yo thought England played better? US owned the first half, and the second half was 50/50 at best.
Not knowing this sport well I thought England dominated because they were on the offensive side of the field more. We were defending more than attacking.

As to why Americans are all of a sudden interested. It's the worlds best teams playing. That's the same reason a lot of people don't watch baseball until the world series. I'm expecting it to be awesome.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #42 (permalink)

Going to be watching the Australia v Germany match at a pub in Alameda, CA if you are nearby hit me up and I'll give you the details.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #43 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by club america View Post
The US-England match was the most exiting match so far, and both teams played a good game, although England was better and were unlucky the ball slipped past their keeper.

The Argentina game was somewhat boring, the team collectively isn't looking so well...........
USA vs England was interesting but the quality fell off badly over the last 20 or so minutes. Maybe it was the high altitude but suddenly even the likes of Gerrard and Lampard were making schoolboy errors of judgement, as if their spatial awareness was shot by fatigue. USA were maybe lucky Green caught a shitty bounce for that seemingly soft goal but they were also unlucky Altidore didn't convert his two superb chances. USA could easily have won. And that Tim Howard is a really world class goalkeeper for the US, he's like a big orange beast between the sticks.

And I get why some people might not have enjoyed watching Argentina with their tactical passing possession game but to me it was great drama. Messi and Tevez are wizards and it was only Vincent Enyeama the freakishly acrobatic Nigerian goalkeeper that saved Nigeria from going three or four goals down.

Best of all was Maradona stalking his technical area. The Madman was on camera more often than some of the players.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
What game were you watching that yo thought England played better? US owned the first half, and the second half was 50/50 at best.
yeah, cuz usa had created more chances of goals? no.

Usa did get lucky that green let that ball slip, and even though they had one good shot on goal by altidore, that doesn't make them 50/50. England had more shots on goal and held possession more often than the US. Ill agree the second half was more even, but the US wasn't even with England.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
USA vs England was interesting but the quality fell off badly over the last 20 or so minutes. Maybe it was the high altitude but suddenly even the likes of Gerrard and Lampard were making schoolboy errors of judgement, as if their spatial awareness was shot by fatigue. USA were maybe lucky Green caught a shitty bounce for that seemingly soft goal but they were also unlucky Altidore didn't convert his two superb chances. USA could easily have won. And that Tim Howard is a really world class goalkeeper for the US, he's like a big orange beast between the sticks.

And I get why some people might not have enjoyed watching Argentina with their tactical passing possession game but to me it was great drama. Messi and Tevez are wizards and it was only Vincent Enyeama the freakishly acrobatic Nigerian goalkeeper that saved Nigeria from going three or four goals down.

Best of all was Maradona stalking his technical area. The Madman was on camera more often than some of the players.

I'm not questioning the individual talent a squad full of stars like argentina has, but today they showed why they had such a tough time during qualifying. None of the star players shone like they do in their clubs, and none could capitalize on the opportunities created. They did have many chances to finish nigeria off, and although nigeria's keeper played a great game, it isn't usual for some of the top strikers playing in the top leagues, to miss that goals.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah, cuz usa had created more chances of goals? no.

Usa did get lucky that green let that ball slip, and even though they had one good shot on goal by altidore, that doesn't make them 50/50. England had more shots on goal and held possession more often than the US. Ill agree the second half was more even, but the US wasn't even with England.
You're wrong. If anything the second half is where the US fell apart.

The US had possetion 59/41 at the end of the first half. Then in the second half they forgot how to complete passes and their game went to hell.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
You're wrong. If anything the second half is where the US fell apart.

The US had possetion 59/41 at the end of the first half. Then in the second half they forgot how to complete passes and their game went to hell.
No. The fact is England scored thanks to collective playing and the US was able to draw with help from Green

and how can you own a half when from minute 6 you are trailing behind, and are only lucky to score in the last 5 minutes of the half to draw?

Last edited by club america; 06-12-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #48 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I'm not questioning the individual talent a squad full of stars like argentina has, but today they showed why they had such a tough time during qualifying. None of the star players shone like they do in their clubs, and none could capitalize on the opportunities created. They did have many chances to finish nigeria off, and although nigeria's keeper played a great game, it isn't usual for some of the top strikers playing in the top leagues, to miss that goals.
Messi wasn't "missing" every time, he had some great shots on target but Enyeama was able to Superman across and deflect.

I think you're right that Argentina could have trouble against more streetwise defences though. Against Holland and Germany for example I think they could find themselves missing a combative centre forward. Tevez and Messi are small and quick and skillfull but they'd be more effective if they had some Batistuta type muscle up front to play off of, and Higuain and Milito don't really seem to offer that.

Of course it's all academic since New Zealand is going to sweep them all aside on the way to glory.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Messi wasn't "missing" every time, he had some great shots on target but Enyeama was able to Superman across and deflect.

I think you're right that Argentina could have trouble against more streetwise defences though. Against Holland and Germany for example I think they could find themselves missing a combative centre forward. Tevez and Messi are small and quick and skillfull but they'd be more effective if they had some Batistuta type muscle up front to play off of, and Higuain and Milito don't really seem to offer that.

Of course it's all academic since New Zealand is going to sweep them all aside on the way to glory.
Ha ha ha. I didn't claim messi was missing everytime, but he didn't play like he plays at barca, perhaps because he didn't have two great mids like xavi and iniesta serving him with great passes and arming beautiful plays the whole game while he floats around the pitch.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #50 (permalink)

How's this thread going? Anyone need a drink?

No, no, I can't stick around, just checking in.

Everyone ok? Good, good. Bathroom's to the left. Volume's ok? Nice. I'll check in with you again in a bit. Tell your friend he can't sleep in here. No, it's ok, just try to look awake. Alright, have fun.

I'm sorry, what? No, I don't speak Spanish. Cerveza? You need a cerveza? I'm sorry, I now have to ask you to prove that you are a United States Citizen. Do you have any identi.....

wow. That guy is fast.