Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree2Likes

Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #41 (permalink)

Exclamation

I was diagnosed with cancer, I got the phone call to confirm my blood test & I quit on the spot, there and then, fucking simple ........ that was 6 years ago. Now I just see smokers as retards (like I used to be), just my opinion though, if you do smoke, then you carry on by all means ...... but I'm not taking the risk .... my cancer wasn't smoking related, but having had £36,000 spent on curing me I didn't want to take the piss .........

if you want to quit, you can, it's a fucking stroll in the park ........

seriously? go visit a cancer ward, spend a whole day there, believe me, self help CD's, nicotine gum, hypnotherapy? all utter bullshit, 8 hours watching the big C in action and you get a new found desire for life .........

Last edited by eurotrash karlos; 12-01-2009 at 11:33 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurotrash karlos View Post

if you want to quit, you can, it's a fucking stroll in the park ........

seriously? go visit a cancer ward, spend a whole day there, believe me, self help CD's, nicotine gum, hypnotherapy? all utter bullshit, 8 hours watching the big C in action and you get a new found desire for life .........

No it's not a stroll in the park.

Also, that stuff may be utter bullshit to you but it has helped others. So it's not utter bullshit.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #43 (permalink)

Put it out and leave them alone

There is no easy way, its a drug. The only way you can quit is if you really want to. Just put the cigarette out and don't smoke again. If you are serious about quitting you will. I started having pretty bad anxiety attacks at the beginning of this year. First one I had I thought was a heart attack, chest pains numb arms etc... That scared me enough to not light up another cigarette. So its been almost a year now, and I feel like a different person. Besides of course still having some anxiety shit to sort out, not smoking has made me realise exactly how disgusting and how much it fucks your body up. Its probably as hard as illegal drugs to give up
(not that i would know0, especially if you are long time smoker, and non of the smokers want lectures , because we all know how bad it is for you. But once you are addicted there is no get off easy way to quit. Its a fucking shitty habit with shitty side effects. I hope more people reading this thread give it up soon, you will realise in a few months how much better you feel about yourself. I can walk longer, I am not tired anymore, I can taste and smell better, its all better. I fucking hate that I ever started the stupid habbit, but glad I am done with it....
Old 12-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #44 (permalink)

It's easy when you don't have an addictive personality. Personally, I've had the same pack of cigarettes for 8 months. And I've given away at least half of the cigarettes. As of right now I have 2 left.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampokes View Post
Hi!
Can I revive this thread?

This is my third week of not smoking. Has anyone else quit? Because I'm hearing 1001 things from as many people about the peaks and valleys of withdrawal over different timespans. One person will tell me if you can do the first 3-5 days you're in the clear; another will tell me that suddenly it gets really hard a month in.

What's your experience? Because I still haven't sorted mine out, and I'm on the patch. I could go for a cigarette right now, I guess.

My father used to say "Quitting is easy, hell I've quit smoking at least a hundred times."

Congratulations on three weeks, hope you keep it up. (:
Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #46 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Chantix

I used chantix and it was great for the first month, then I stopped using it and starting using sunflower seeds. I didn't really have any issues until about 6 months after I quit when I really wanted another smoke. So far about a year in I'm clean but every once in a while it creeps up on me and I almost buy a pack.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #47 (permalink)

I quit smoking in January. I was never a heavy smoker, maybe 3-5 cigarettes a day, but the health affects were obvious and most of the time I can be a very active person, jogging and walking and being outside constantly and I could feel it during these activities. I have quit a few times. every time I restarted, I would go back to it after about the 3 month period, making up some excuse, and it was usually when I was depressed and had a fuck it type of attitude. I tried replacing cigarettes with lolipops, carrots, plain old chewing gum and exercise. The best combination was when I replaced it with chewing gum, and exercised like a crazy person. The gum replaces the oral fixation, and the exercise boosts your mood and makes it so that your body feels intolerant toward smoking. Imagine jogging a few miles and then smoking a cigarette. It feels fucking disgusting. I have now been off cigarettes since January, and do not feel any cravings anymore. The closest I get is when I am drinking. I smoked one when I was pretty drunk at a concert, a couple of months ago. That was my only relapse, and I didn't crave any after that. So, I think past the 6 month point you're probably pretty solidly a non-smoker again.

Other tips I have heard included brushing your teeth every time you want to smoke, and this will create a cognitive dissonance between the cleanness of your mouth and the dirty cigarette. I tried this and it worked ok in conjunction with the others.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #48 (permalink)

I just past my one year mark using the book ... easy way to quit smoking by allan carr
Old 07-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #49 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slampokes View Post
Welcome to the forums!!
What is Chantix?
I'm on the patch and I'm chewing mints like a motherfucker...
Chantix is a anti-deppresant that for some unknown reason makes you forget that you like nicotine.
I wasn't going to quit at all but i watched my grandfather have his voice box removed and figured out that I like talking way too much to go through that.

Thanks for the welcome
Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #50 (permalink)

I've tried several times, and my most successful effort was using Wellbutrin (same shit as chantix) a few years ago. I broke the habit and didn't smoke for almost 6 months. Some family shit came up and I ended up smoking again. When I went back to the pills, they made me sick to my stomach.

I've tried just weening myself down slowly using a cigarette case that only holds ten cigarettes. After they're gone, I can't smoke anymore. I also do my best to keep myself busy, because I tend to smoke more if i get bored.

In a few weeks I'll try to go down to five a day, then hopefully none. It's worked pretty well so far, but time will tell.