Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #231 (permalink)

Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Kart
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #232 (permalink)

Rather than respond individually, I'm just going make the blanket statement that the 360 and PS3 has created a foundation of gamers that solely play action-adventure and FPS games. I am not one of those gamers. Therefore the Wii is the only option I have. It certainly is far from the best in its console generation, but for fuck sake at least they're trying to do something inventive and original.

The 360 and PS3 make me sick because they are the very plague and pestilence of the video game industry. Look at the best games for those consoles, at least 75% will be FPS or action-adventure. I'm sick of playing a game that has been repackaged over and over again. If I want to play a good FPS I'll play Quake or Doom.

360 and PS3 : gaming :: Hollywood big budget action flicks : movie industry.

This topic infuriates me, I apologize.

Edit: I also can't play most FPS anymore because I have played Half-Life 2 plus the episodes. It is end all be all of FPS. If every FPS strived to be more like HL2 the world would be a much better place.

Edit2:
Quote:
Abyss was the most asshole of a game made. I hated it with a passion back when I had it on the 3DO and If I never see that shitfuck static background and sound of water going "woosh" again, it will be too soon.
I'm pretty sure the game you're talking about is not the predecessor to the game I am talking about (From the Abyss for the DS).

Last edited by Astigos; 09-08-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #233 (permalink)
Jon

Did anyone play Zillion on the Sega Master System? One of my faves of all time. Such an advanced game for a system of that era. NES was new at the time and its competetor. Metroid was the only thing I could compare it to, except there wasn't a handbook with a map. I had to draw it out by hand.

I've been playing Burnout revenge career lately for some reason. It's so damn fast pace. Getting hard torwards the end.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #234 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
More bitching - I tried Army of Two and I guess I'm spoiled with third person games, the controls sucked anal glands, and it was the most homo-erotic game I've ever played. I'm amazed there's not a cheat code where you can go have a hot coffee episode and blow each other in a back room somewhere.
its not 'got to buy' but as a renter its okay. i could deal with the controls but it wasnt much of a story.

Quote:
Although I don't own, or plan to own, the PS3, I wouldn't call it a joke. It's one HELL of a Blu-Ray player and dirt cheap just for that reason alone.
the thing i like about the ps3 - no bullshit xbl pay service. not enough games, and cutting off the backwards compatibility on the cheaper ps3 helps no one. i probably wouldnt play any ps2 games, but i'd like to try okami and might even que it up on my gamefly acct but nope, it wont work on mines. i dont have any blu rays, will probably buy wall-e or serenity when it comes out. prices on blu rays are retarded and i have an mvix.

i wonder how many consoles i have owned... lets see:
atari 2600
colecovision
nec turbographx portable + tv tuner
gameboy 1
nintendo
commodore 64 and modified fd drive
sega genesis + cd drive
super nintendo
game boy advance
dream cast
ps1
ps2
xbox1
gba ds
wii (sold it)

xbox 360
ds lite
psp
ps3

hmm.. basically sold one to get the next gen device. i still have the last 4 tho...

Aquaponics in Paradise
Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #235 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astigos View Post
Rather than respond individually, I'm just going make the blanket statement that the 360 and PS3 has created a foundation of gamers that solely play action-adventure and FPS games. I am not one of those gamers. Therefore the Wii is the only option I have. It certainly is far from the best in its console generation, but for fuck sake at least they're trying to do something inventive and original.

The 360 and PS3 make me sick because they are the very plague and pestilence of the video game industry. Look at the best games for those consoles, at least 75% will be FPS or action-adventure. I'm sick of playing a game that has been repackaged over and over again. If I want to play a good FPS I'll play Quake or Doom.

360 and PS3 : gaming :: Hollywood big budget action flicks : movie industry.

This topic infuriates me, I apologize.

Edit: I also can't play most FPS anymore because I have played Half-Life 2 plus the episodes. It is end all be all of FPS. If every FPS strived to be more like HL2 the world would be a much better place.
Again, have you played Bioshock? To exclude a game just because of its genre is pretty ignorant. Games have come a long way since Quake and Doom. FPS games in particular can be a much more engrossing and unique experience because of the power of the two consoles you just called out. How about Mirror's Edge? It's a first-person game, though hardly a shooter, and looks to offer something new in that genre.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #236 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astigos View Post
Dude Xbox live arcade!!!! Games like Geometry wars evolved2, Castle Crashers, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Poker Smash, Braid, N+, Assault Heroes, Uno.

Also if you love GH and Rock Band then you get 500% more content of these games via down loadable songs.

Why does xbox 360 carry a stigma that its only for halo3 and Call of duty 4.

My GF HATES!!! FPS games, and she is clamouring for the first second im off my box to work on her Viva Pinata Garden or play all of my Xbox live arcade games. She obsessively beat braid in about 2 sittings. I could gurantee you, if I had a wii she would rather play the 360 9 times out of 10.

And Reussattack is 100% right, Bioshock absolutely 1-ups Half-Life.

The Xbox 360 is not innovative with the controler like the wii, but its games are far more innovative, deep, and simply a better product than anything for the wii.

The other thing that trumps the Wii in innovation is xbox live. I dont mean to say that listening to 13 year olds call you a faggot nigger as they PWN you in Call of duty 4, I do mean to brag that i can download a game demo of 75% of the xbox live game library. So lets say you have a 360 and wanna see if Bioshock is what we say its, Download the demo and test away my friend. To me that is innovation. And typically these demos come out before the game release day.

I know I sound like a fan boy, im trying to find opinions for the other side of the argument and I really cant since the wii only has about 10 games worth playing.

And to throw PS3 a bone, They will be in absolute Bliss when this world becomes OBSESSED with Little Big Planet. This game looks FANTASTIC.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #237 (permalink)

Not sure I'd put Bioshock above Half Life 2 and it's episodes but it's of that quality, it's atmospheric unlike any other game and the RPG elements add a nice level of depth.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #238 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Not sure I'd put Bioshock above Half Life 2 and it's episodes but it's of that quality, it's atmospheric unlike any other game and the RPG elements add a nice level of depth.
I love HL2 but IMO it is plagued with peaks and valleys of entertainment, and a thin plot. I never really cared about the plot other than the fact I had a crush on alex. And I despised the vehicle use, I wish they would have cut each vehicle minimum play time down 50%.

To where bioshock had a deep engrossing story that unfolded every step of the way, and a nice consistent flow of action that left me strugling to pick a part that I didn't enjoy.

They are both fantastic games, odviously, so maybe it comes down to gamer preference on which is better.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #239 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyeshawn View Post
I love HL2 but IMO it is plagued with peaks and valleys of entertainment, and a thin plot. I never really cared about the plot other than the fact I had a crush on alex. And I despised the vehicle use, I wish they would have cut each vehicle minimum play time down 50%.
I go back to Half Life 2 every few months and it still feels fresh. Although it's entirely linear, the gravity gun leads to a nice variety of tactics and I'm always trying new things. The only level I really hate is the one where you can't step on the sand and last time I did it, I ran through it guns blazing which was very amusing. Oh and some sequences in Episode One were too long.

I like how Half Life's story and characters unfurl around you without needing any THIS PART IS CLEARLY THE PLOT time. The delivery of the story in HL2 is also a thoroughly modern approach - it only takes control away from you when something in the game is taking control from your character, like falling debris and so you feel more attached to what's going on, rather than Halo's old fashioned 'put down the controller and watch' delivery.

Through a mixture of the subtle storytelling and use of technology to make her expressive, I think Alyx in particular has become one of the most believable and well-rounded characters in gaming, SPOILERS: by the end of Episode Two, you find yourself really caring about her and her father.

As for the vehicles, I thought they were great for balancing out gameplay pacing and a blast to drive, especially in episode two. That last level was a lot of fun.

Quote:
To where bioshock had a deep engrossing story that unfolded every step of the way, and a nice consistent flow of action that left me strugling to pick a part that I didn't enjoy.
Though I love the game, I felt the third act of Bioshock (aside from the nice Big Daddy part) was a let down. This was probably due to SPOILERS: the conclusion of Andrew Ryan's story and the big reveal not being at the end of the game. Essentially the game climaxed and then said 'um, I'm not done yet'.

Quote:
They are both fantastic games, odviously, so maybe it comes down to gamer preference on which is better.
True enough, the Orange Box and Bioshock were two of my favourites last year and anyone who hasn't tried them should pick them up, regardless of genre preferences.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #240 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
Again, have you played Bioshock? To exclude a game just because of its genre is pretty ignorant. Games have come a long way since Quake and Doom. FPS games in particular can be a much more engrossing and unique experience because of the power of the two consoles you just called out. How about Mirror's Edge? It's a first-person game, though hardly a shooter, and looks to offer something new in that genre.
Games haven't come all that far since Quake/Doom. The graphics have gotten better, but the gameplay is pretty much the same. I did love Bioshock, but it wasn't exactly a leap ahead.

Bioshock told a decent story, but there have been better stories...Mafia The Game...Knight of the Old Republic...

Bioshock has excellent gameplay mechanics, but it's the same mechanics that have been in place for FPSs since Quake/Doom; weapons, power-ups...

I've been playing old games lately (XCom: UFO Defense for example) and find that I spend just as much time and sometimes have much more enjoyment out of playing something with low end graphics and superior game play.

I'm going on...I have been severely dissappointed in the latest rash of BIG games...GTA IV (got tired of being everyones chauffer)...HALO 3 (HALO with slightly more weapons)...GOW (HALO with angst)...on and on...