Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 09-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #4371 (permalink)

Review scores: Discuss.

This one in particular seems to be a bit of a joke. A great-looking game that seems to be as deep as 2D brawlers need to be. He doesn't really say anything bad about the game, it's pretty as hell and sounds great. Why isn't it getting over 9.0? It seems to achieve everything you would expect from it to a high standard.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #4372 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
Review scores: Discuss.

This one in particular seems to be a bit of a joke. A great-looking game that seems to be as deep as 2D brawlers need to be. He doesn't really say anything bad about the game, it's pretty as hell and sounds great. Why isn't it getting over 9.0? It seems to achieve everything you would expect from it to a high standard.
I loathe review scores on anything. Reducing (your opinion on) something to a number is absurd and it only gets worse the more precise the number is. I use flixster as a nice way to keep track of what I thought about movies when I saw them but I just randomly assign a vague value when it asks for a star rating. Letter 'grades' are no better.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #4373 (permalink)

I do think a number can be applied to "quality" of a game, eg. I would probably give Resi Evil 5 at least a 7.5 based on its production values, but for personal taste it would get around a 3.0 purely because of the aiming.

Using that Batman as an example, it seems to have got a 7.5 based on the fact that the guy reviewing it doesn't really like 2D fighters or the art style or something. It looks like a very well made, solid game.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #4374 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
I do think a number can be applied to "quality" of a game, eg. I would probably give Resi Evil 5 at least a 7.5 based on its production values, but for personal taste it would get around a 3.0 purely because of the aiming.

Using that Batman as an example, it seems to have got a 7.5 based on the fact that the guy reviewing it doesn't really like 2D fighters or the art style or something. It looks like a very well made, solid game.
My problem with it is that reviewing anything is subjective and numbers suggest it's objective. As if there's some dark science to evalutating a game/movie/album/whatever. Bump mapping on level 3 is worth 0.04 review score points, poor checkpointing is -0.3 and the delivery of this character's final soliloquy has a -1.5 to 3.0 range. Reductive and dishonest nonsense.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #4375 (permalink)

I think there's merit to quantifying your views in some way, especially if your reviews are aimed at being a buyers' guide.

I toyed with the idea of writing a monetary value on a game, sort of "buy it when the price drops below X if the premise sounds appealing", but at the root of it, that's the same thing.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #4376 (permalink)

I'd much rather read a review than be served with a meaningless number. The money thing keeps cropping up lately, due to Microsoft charging as much as they can get away with for XBLA games. Which is the only real monetary value of anything - as much as you can get away with selling it for - something Activision know all too well.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #4377 (permalink)

Games are a bit of a strange market, in that a large proportion of buyers aren't actually informed. The likes of CoD create the impression that high price points are viable, but that's really demand-by-proxy as they're buying for their kids.

It does seem that the industry's coming round to the idea that games aren't all worth £40, and supply and demand rules do still apply to the industry like any other. It probably helps that "gamers" are now grown-ups too, and it's their own money they're choosing to part with.

If prices on the whole stay too high, people will go back to playing Rubik's cubes. (or at the very least, Flash games)

Where Does Godzilla Poopcast :: Steam :: XBL: Space Indaver :: ** KATG Playmates **

Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #4378 (permalink)

As much as I have problems with the used games market, it does help that it immediately kneecaps any high price point.

I rarely buy console games on release, £40-45 is far too much.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #4379 (permalink)

I'm with standardman on this one. Putting numbers on review scores just encourages the Metacritic standard for videogames, where anything less than an 80 might as well be shit. I feel like a review should just tell me about the experience the reviewer had while playing it, whether it was engrossing or fun or whatever, and whether the price justifies the purchase or maybe it should just be a rental.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #4380 (permalink)

Oh I agree, in my ADD-nerd future all reviews will be mini conversational podcasts, a la GiantBomb's Quick Looks.