Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #3161 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rhesusattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalmine View Post
and while i'm here, if anyone could recommend a good video game podcast, i'd be very interested to hear it.
I listened to Idle Thumbs before they stopped doing the show last fall, but they've recently put out a couple of new episodes this month. It's a funny show, but they're also big nerds and talk a lot about pc gaming.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #3162 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sheepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Heavy Rain looks to be an emotionally engaging and unusual game that (should) allow to make decisions. .
I remember playing Indigo Prophecy (same developer) and hating the "make the right choice or game over" thing. The reviews I've read so far about Heavy Rain though seem to all say that is not at all the case. How you choose to respond and react affects, if only in a very slight way, one of many (I didn't catch a number) outcomes. I honestly like the idea and love the idea of a visual "Choose Your Own Adventure" and might be looking at purchasing it (haven't decided yet... may just rent it). I can't wait to play it nonetheless!

Edit: Should mention that one of the reviews I read, the guy actually attempted to kill one of the main characters you play as. Still no game over, just clues you will miss and a different ending.

Last edited by Sheepy; 02-24-2010 at 12:19 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #3163 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
but they're also big nerds and talk a lot about pc gaming.
Fuck yeah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
I remember playing Indigo Prophecy (same developer) and hating the "make the right choice or game over" thing. The reviews I've read so far about Heavy Rain though seem to all say that is not at all the case. How you choose to respond and react affects, if only in a very slight way, one of many (I didn't catch a number) outcomes. I honestly like the idea and love the idea of a visual "Choose Your Own Adventure" and might be looking at purchasing it (haven't decided yet... may just rent it). I can't wait to play it nonetheless!

Edit: Should mention that one of the reviews I read, the guy actually attempted to kill one of the main characters you play as. Still no game over, just clues you will miss and a different ending.
Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy felt like a prototype in a lot ways. i loved it but it was a first attempt at something bigger.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #3164 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy felt like a prototype in a lot ways. i loved it but it was a first attempt at something bigger.
The first, most mature and best attempt at an open ended, cinematic, game was "Blade Runner - The Game".

A lot of Indigo Prophecy, Mass Effect and later attempts at that style reminded me of that (awesome) game.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #3165 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Just in case you didn't get it with the THQ pack or a preorder, Saint's Row 2 is on sale direct from THQ for 2.50. No Earthly clue if that's regional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
The first, most mature and best attempt at an open ended, cinematic, game was "Blade Runner - The Game".

A lot of Indigo Prophecy, Mass Effect and later attempts at that style reminded me of that (awesome) game.
Fuck yes, what a great game! I remember a good few months in high school where it's pretty much all we talked about. GOG.com need to put that up.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #3166 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Anyone with steam should turn on the beta in the settings, they're testing out a new UI and it looks great!

Store front with new who-bought-what list:


Game page with who-owns-this list:


Game Library page, you can also view in list or grid:


It's a big improvement, I'd still like playlists for games (EDIT: turns out you can do that!) but this is a great step forward.

EDIT: also Serious Sam HD is on sale, half price (5.99) until March 2nd. It's a fun game and it supports 16 player co-op too!
__________________

Last edited by standardman; 02-24-2010 at 05:30 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:35 AM   #3167 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
evadwolrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Preston, UK
Posts: 256
I just switched the beta on. Mmmmm... webby.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #3168 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,781
Hey S., do you knoe if there are any books, animations or art collections, or whatsoever abou the Half Life unvierse.

After re-watching the Citadel Level i want to have to see more of that. Now that's mind boggling visuals. Avatar, kiss my hairy ass.

On a (very) minor note, i borrowed Alien Vs Predator redux from an eager friend. If it's decent i might even buy it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #3169 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
standardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Hey S., do you knoe if there are any books, animations or art collections, or whatsoever abou the Half Life unvierse.

After re-watching the Citadel Level i want to have to see more of that. Now that's mind boggling visuals. Avatar, kiss my hairy ass.

On a (very) minor note, i borrowed Alien Vs Predator redux from an eager friend. If it's decent i might even buy it.
Sadly there's a great lack of them. Valve released an excellent book called 'Raising the Bar' which was a making of but it's very hard to find. Unofficially, they've inspired quite a bit. I'm guessing you've already seen these but they're worth posting:





If you're looking for more gameplay, there's a mod called Minerva that has some of the best level design I've ever seen in a mod. Valve were so impressed that they hired the guy to work on Episode 3.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #3170 (permalink)
Senior Member
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer
 
Junkenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Italy (No Guidos Here)
Posts: 6,781
I saw the "Raising the bar" book, but it's sold at 100 dollars minimum. I would have loved to see the artwork behind the ones in the "Our benefactors" level. The visuals on that level gave me goosebumps.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Keith and The GirlAd Management plugin by RedTyger