Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #3741 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Valve and Blizzard are both developers who iterate, test, iterate until their games are absolutely ready. They already have plenty of great games to play and the reason they're great is exactly because they are products of perfectionism. I want to play them too but only when Valve and Blizzard and happy with them.
That is fine, and I appreciate their efforts. I just dont want to spend 5 (in Blizzards case 10) years of my life clinging to every small bit of news when other game developers can produce great products on a 1-3 year schedule without silly titillating teasers and Easter eggs.

I will worry about how awesome episode 3 will be in 2020.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #3742 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I understand this, but one can get so much teasing without getting blueballs.

I get that they enjoy keeping my attention alive, but truncating a storyline at a highly emotional point and then letting me wait years to see how it ends is something that would piss off anyone in any othwer form of storytelling oriented entertainment.
THANK YOU!!!! I couldnt agree more WTF by the time ep 3 comes I wont even be able to remember why I cared.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #3743 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I understand this, but one can get so much teasing without getting blueballs.

I get that they enjoy keeping my attention alive, but truncating a storyline at a highly emotional point and then letting me wait years to see how it ends is something that would piss off anyone in any othwer form of storytelling oriented entertainment.

I'm not the one who decided to make the series emotionally involving, they did. And cliffhangers work until you procrastinate too much the resolution. After that people loose (naturally) involvement AND interest. They're the beta testing master, they should know better.
I'll say this; Valve's experimentation with episodic gaming was a failure and I doubt they'll do it for the next Half-Life. I doubt even they thought they'd have this much of a gap. This amount of delays usually kills a game and it's only due to Valve's unique position that they can still work on it without a set date.

It's been a long, hard wait but it is coming and think we'll see lessons they've take on board from the games they released between episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyeshawn View Post
That is fine, and I appreciate their efforts. I just dont want to spend 5 (in Blizzards case 10) years of my life clinging to every small bit of news when other game developers can produce great products on a 1-3 year schedule without silly titillating teasers and Easter eggs.

I will worry about how awesome episode 3 will be in 2020.
For Starcraft, I have less sympathy for those getting annoyed at the wait. It's a sequel, we're not waiting for a story to conclude and level of polish in even the beta is stunning.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #3744 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
For Starcraft, I have less sympathy for those getting annoyed at the wait. It's a sequel, we're not waiting for a story to conclude and level of polish in even the beta is stunning.
Yeah but for starcraft its also the greed factor. Splitting up your game into three AND increasing the price tag to 60 bones is a giant FUCK YOU FANS. Way to reward their patience and dedication by getting yourself a second mansion. Its nothing but greed and the annoying part is it will be rewarded and fans will rationalize and defend their business decisions.

WHY CANT I GET ON THE STEAM STORE ARGGGG!!!! Fuck computers, im spending my money on xbox live (its probably my fault, whatevs)
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #3745 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah but for starcraft its also the greed factor. Splitting up your game into three AND increasing the price tag to 60 bones is a giant FUCK YOU FANS. Way to reward their patience and dedication by getting yourself a second mansion. Its nothing but greed and the annoying part is it will be rewarded and fans will rationalize and defend their business decisions.

WHY CANT I GET ON THE STEAM STORE ARGGGG!!!! Fuck computers, im spending my money on xbox live (its probably my fault, whatevs)
The price thing is Activision being Activision as for 'splitting it up', each game as long as Starcraft I. You want triple the missions for a third of the price? You'd in for an even longer wait, too.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #3746 (permalink)

Green Man Gaming (second hand digital distribution site whose business plan is shakey is giving away a free copy of anything in their store.

Just enter '1FREE-PROMO-WORLD' at the checkout.

Details, including the best games: Any PC game from Green Man Gaming – Free | SavyGamer

Shattered Horizons is also having a free to play half price weekend and Gog have a sale blah blah blah.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #3747 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

shit alan wake is fucking awesome
Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #3748 (permalink)

Quote:
Splitting up your game into three
You fucking idiot. They're delivering three times the content, not delivering three pieces that amount to one game's worth of content.

It's like if there was a really good sci-fi movie that came out, when the people who made it announced they were going to do a mini-series followup rather than a feature film, you're the dickface that stands up and boos them. "WE DON'T WANT MORE OF THAT THING WE LIKE!" is your apparent stance.

If you don't like StarCraft enough to want to fucking buy more of it, here's a piece of advice: generally that's known as not liking something. That's when you don't buy it and shut the fuck up.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #3749 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

That's my BOB! I dont even eventually agree or disagree. It's just good to see you here and in top form too!

Love ya man! (Totes hetero)
Old 06-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #3750 (permalink)

I just played a damn fun game of Left 4 Dead 2. Chainsaw Massacre mutation + listening to Clutch = Tank Burger achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
shit alan wake is fucking awesome
I'm liking it too! I has the best night time I've seen in a game. It's not just dark, it's...lit.