Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #251 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_wizard View Post
Ok, gave up on KOTOR. I've borrowed Gears of War and Mass Effect. Which should I play first?
I'd say Mass Effect. I haven't played it but i have played enough Gears of War to know it's an overrated, bland game... and that's it.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #252 (permalink)

I would vote for mass affect over GOW. Even if you didn't dig KOTR (I didn't either to be honest).

Speaking of mass affect the bonus Downloadable content is on sale at this very moment. 300 pts instead of 400.

I'm interested in trying the bonus mission out, but I just have way to much hockey fever to care about anything else.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #253 (permalink)

I know the controls for FPS are worse on console, but I can't spend the money to keep upgrading my computer for these games. It also doesn't include an awesome XBL friends list that I can quickly invite or join people in games.

There is nothing more enjoyable than playing a game with previously played people, or friends that you've made, THAT alone for me makes a game, completely.

So yes, give me $50 a year for XBL ($5 a month? Seriously? That's too much? Please.) and yes, I'll suffer the slightly harder to manage FPS controls which really ARE NOT that bad once you spend enough time with them, but it's a HUGE learning curve, unless you're willing to commit, adjust the sensitivity and deal with that fact that there's no mouse, it'll never be "better".

There are people that kick ass using console FPS controls, and it's proof to show that it works.

Mass Effect is an amazing game, it blows away all past Bioware games for me, I feel completely commited to the story, the main character, and getting it on with my female companions (or male, if you swing that way)

Just remember that Mass Effect is a VERY different game from Gears, which is a machismo run and gun type game.

And although everyone here says it's "bland" - Thousands of other people, including myself, totally disagree. Play them both, if you don't like one - sells it! But give them time, Gears isn't that long, but for me it's got massive replay for the harder difficulties as well as the online multiplayer.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #254 (permalink)

I'm saying the below as someone who has always used consoles and PCs for gaming and has been gaming from the age of four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
I know the controls for FPS are worse on console, but I can't spend the money to keep upgrading my computer for these games. It also doesn't include an awesome XBL friends list that I can quickly invite or join people in games.

There is nothing more enjoyable than playing a game with previously played people, or friends that you've made, THAT alone for me makes a game, completely.
Steam and a million services before it. Xbox Live is only a new idea for consoles.

Quote:
So yes, give me $50 a year for XBL ($5 a month? Seriously? That's too much? Please.) and yes, I'll suffer the slightly harder to manage FPS controls which really ARE NOT that bad once you spend enough time with them, but it's a HUGE learning curve, unless you're willing to commit, adjust the sensitivity and deal with that fact that there's no mouse, it'll never be "better".

There are people that kick ass using console FPS controls, and it's proof to show that it works.
Occasionally companies do cross-format multiplayer between consoles and PC and the best PC players always steamroll the best console players simply because of the control method being faster and more accurate and that's without taking auto aim off the consoles. Trust me, I've played both a hell of a lot.

Quote:
And although everyone here says it's "bland" - Thousands of other people, including myself, totally disagree.
Popularity does not equal quality and unfortunately quality doesn't equal popularity, else everyone would have played Beyond Good and Evil a billion times and we'd be talking about the Dreamcast 2.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #255 (permalink)

Quote:
...It also doesn't include an awesome XBL friends list that I can quickly invite or join people in games.
btw, theres an IM client called xfire that for some reason is little used. it auto updates itself when a new version is out and is compatible with tons of games. with it you can see what game your friends are playing, and with one click, start up your game and join the server that person is on. its also free.

as far as upgrading... i guess it can add up. i can build a decent machine for $1000, but i upgrade about every other year. a console's life span is aobut 5-7 years now and costs about $400, if it doesnt RRoD =p
however, i can justify upgrading my pc cuz i do everything on my pc, watch movies, chat, work, play games, etc.

Aquaponics in Paradise
Old 09-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #256 (permalink)

You also don't need to buy a new PC everytime, you can upgrade it depending on the need.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #257 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Steam and a million services before it. Xbox Live is only a new idea for consoles.
Hmm - It has been a long time since I played with Steam, it does seem to be pretty awesome.

So I'll concede to that.

HOWEVER, I still feel at home with my XBL. It's like wearing an old shoe, it just fits, it's comfortable and it works for me.

There's no way I can have my computer system set up to work comfortably, even if I was to upgrade my Media Center PC - The mouse addition requires a desk, or a flat surface, and a keyboard, and the only things those did for me in the past was give me wrist pain. When I played Quake, WoW, etc - I never left the computer comfortable, whereas tossing a controller in my hand feels natural.

I guess the main thing is that in the end, I don't feel like a PC gamer. I'm a console gamer, and I know I'm not alone at all.

Quote:
Occasionally companies do cross-format multiplayer between consoles and PC and the best PC players always steamroll the best console players simply because of the control method being faster and more accurate and that's without taking auto aim off the consoles. Trust me, I've played both a hell of a lot.
I'm not saying that PC users are less tallented, I'm saying that console players versus console players are about the same as pc players versus pc players.

So I'm fine doing FPS on the console, because I'm playing the same caliber.

But for you, that's your preference, for me it's the opposite, I will pick console over PC any day for the reasons I've said above. It's. just. easier.

Quote:
Popularity does not equal quality and unfortunately quality doesn't equal popularity, else everyone would have played Beyond Good and Evil a billion times and we'd be talking about the Dreamcast 2.
It's funny, I didn't like Beyond Good and Evil, I wasn't a huge fan of Eternal Darkness, and I was eh on Perfect Dark.

I guess I'm different than most people, or maybe I'm more mainstream? I like games that make me want to come back and play them. Thinking of favorite games include Mass Effect, Super Mario World, Final Fantasy III (us version), Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, metroid Prime, etc., etc., etc

once it got to the Playstation, things started to kind of go away. I wasn't as into games, I played a lot, sure, but they lost me - I had no attachment to games. Then came my adult life and I have enjoyed a lot of the very popular games, I attach myself to them and they are more engrossing for the most part. They blow away any prior "favorite game" due to the immersion.

This is on a tangent, sure - but people complain about innovation. Well, look back to games in the 90's, sidescrollers were sidescrollers were sidescrollers.

Like movies, like everything - there is a basic flow. Good guy, bad guy, girl, etc., etc., etc. Although the polish and flow has maybe been tossed up, things really aren't that different.

Create a hover car, and it's still a car like the Model T. Etc, etc, ad nauseum.

As for the RROD issue, sure - there's that. But there's also a lot of risks on your computer, and there isn't a 3yr full warranty for something serious fucking up and burning your shit down. And $300 is one holy hell of a lot less than a $1500 gaming PC, or even $1000/$700 gaming pc.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #258 (permalink)

Imo unless your packing your bags for an MLG tourney there is really no difference between fps controls on a pc or console (with exceptions for fast paced games like unreal and team fortress) . Of course the pc is better but don't act as if the console version is broken and untolerable without keys/mouse. The controler does a good job.

I come across anti console people who are so stubborn they actually turned down 16 player halo Lan parties cause they are so fucking important they have to have the perfection of a mouse and keys. That to me is insulting.

Its one thing to have an opinion, like myself for example will take a low blow at the wii anyday, but I can still have fun playing a game of bowling or tennis for 15 minutes with friends. Being a hyprocrite is absolute circumstantial when its about having fun.

My ultimate point is a good fps like bioshock or half life are equally fun with whatever control device you have. I can say this with confidence since I in fact play HL2 twice once on pc and once on 360. My level of entertainment was completely equal on both control schemes.

If you want to discuss broken controls on a console let's use good examples like a sim game or a massive rpg. I love oblivion yet the whole time I wish I had some fucking hot keys.

I personally, if I had a good pc I would choose 360 over pc for first person shooters for the large screen, sourond sound, XBL and couch comfort. But I would choose pc for games like oblivion and civ revolution, worms and diablo 3(hypothetically)

Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #259 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm - It has been a long time since I played with Steam, it does seem to be pretty awesome.

So I'll concede to that.

HOWEVER, I still feel at home with my XBL. It's like wearing an old shoe, it just fits, it's comfortable and it works for me.

There's no way I can have my computer system set up to work comfortably, even if I was to upgrade my Media Center PC - The mouse addition requires a desk, or a flat surface, and a keyboard, and the only things those did for me in the past was give me wrist pain. When I played Quake, WoW, etc - I never left the computer comfortable, whereas tossing a controller in my hand feels natural.

I guess the main thing is that in the end, I don't feel like a PC gamer. I'm a console gamer, and I know I'm not alone at all.
So it's your preference, which is fine. There's plenty of PC gamers and there's plenty of console gamers but the control method for the PC is more more accurate, regardless of preference.

Quote:
I'm not saying that PC users are less tallented, I'm saying that console players versus console players are about the same as pc players versus pc players.

So I'm fine doing FPS on the console, because I'm playing the same caliber.
You seemed to have missed my point here. I was saying the PC players of the same skill would always win because they were using a far better control method, I wasn't making any skill comparison.

Quote:
But for you, that's your preference, for me it's the opposite, I will pick console over PC any day for the reasons I've said above. It's. just. easier.
That they are.

Quote:
It's funny, I didn't like Beyond Good and Evil, I wasn't a huge fan of Eternal Darkness, and I was eh on Perfect Dark.
Then I guess Gears is for you.

Quote:
I guess I'm different than most people, or maybe I'm more mainstream? I like games that make me want to come back and play them. Thinking of favorite games include Mass Effect, Super Mario World, Final Fantasy III (us version), Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, metroid Prime, etc., etc., etc

once it got to the Playstation, things started to kind of go away. I wasn't as into games, I played a lot, sure, but they lost me - I had no attachment to games. Then came my adult life and I have enjoyed a lot of the very popular games, I attach myself to them and they are more engrossing for the most part. They blow away any prior "favorite game" due to the immersion.

This is on a tangent, sure - but people complain about innovation. Well, look back to games in the 90's, sidescrollers were sidescrollers were sidescrollers.

Like movies, like everything - there is a basic flow. Good guy, bad guy, girl, etc., etc., etc. Although the polish and flow has maybe been tossed up, things really aren't that different.

Create a hover car, and it's still a car like the Model T. Etc, etc, ad nauseum.

As for the RROD issue, sure - there's that. But there's also a lot of risks on your computer, and there isn't a 3yr full warranty for something serious fucking up and burning your shit down. And $300 is one holy hell of a lot less than a $1500 gaming PC, or even $1000/$700 gaming pc.
You sort of trailed off here but you seem to have the impression that PCs are ready to explode in your face without warning, I'm not sure where that came from but I'll let you know if I explode.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #260 (permalink)

If anyone's playing anything, feel free to drag us back to the topic.