Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #3171 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I saw the "Raising the bar" book, but it's sold at 100 dollars minimum. I would have loved to see the artwork behind the ones in the "Our benefactors" level. The visuals on that level gave me goosebumps.
Yeah, it was a very limited run, sadly. I know what you mean, the way you find out just what's going on...brrrr.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #3172 (permalink)

Still playing Team Fortress 2, Modern Warfare, and Left 4 Dead 2. Anybody get into the Starcraft 2 beta?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #3173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NephilimXXX View Post
Still playing Team Fortress 2, Modern Warfare, and Left 4 Dead 2. Anybody get into the Starcraft 2 beta?
FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU and welcome to the forums. I did not, I had to content myself with watching 1up and Giant Bomb's live streams, which got really interesting when they played each other.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #3174 (permalink)

playing modern warfare2, mainly the multiplayer
Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #3175 (permalink)

Damn, I sold my copy of "Raising the Bar" for $40 after I was done reading it. Should have kept it!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #3176 (permalink)

While I wait til I can afford to play some new games, I've gotten completely sucked into the challenge mode in Arkham Asylum. Damn that game is good!r
Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #3177 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

After having played top to bottom and after a bit of time to cool my head, AA is definitely the top game of last year. The challenges are uber fun, and the attention to detail is just gorgeous. I hope they dont fuck it up with the sequel.

With same cool head i can say that actually bioshock 2 has dropped from an enthusiastic 9 to a 7.5. It is still tops in the atmosphere department, but the overall experience seems a bit more of a remix of the first chapter, far more simplistic and with way too much scripting. Re-playing Half Life 2 has showed me how simply charming a game could be, and B2 simply lacks that magic (that the first one had in spades).

For this year, the top is Mass Effect 2 (which was insanely entertaining and intelligent).

Playing HL2: Episode one for the first time now. The charcter design of Alyx is still incredible, even at today's standards. I cant think of another virtual character with such a large scale of emotions and an abilty to connect with the player. I know that comes from extensive beta testing by the Valve workaholics, but i still find amazing how they managed to create a bunch of pixels that feels like an actual living (and extremely likeable, and i'm not talking about looks) person. Her animations and reactions give me the goosebumps.

On a sillier level, King's bounty is genius. Has the same nuttygoose approach to fantasy that the best King's Quest games had. ("You're probably the most intelligent and charming dwarf i ever met! And i say that cause i never met another dwarf! Farewell, my short friend!").

Gave a look at the Wolvering Origins game. Too repetitive and very frustrating.

Pondering about Plant Vs Zombies. I know everyone loves it, but i dont really like that genre.

Anyway, back to City 17...
Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #3178 (permalink)

Quote:
After having played top to bottom and after a bit of time to cool my head, AA is definitely the top game of last year. The challenges are uber fun, and the attention to detail is just gorgeous. I hope they dont fuck it up with the sequel.
I'm leaning in that direction myself. I think it might even be up there in my favourite games period. I need another playthrough to decide; I think I'll be Zur-en-arrh this time

Quote:
With same cool head i can say that actually bioshock 2 has dropped from an enthusiastic 9 to a 7.5. It is still tops in the atmosphere department, but the overall experience seems a bit more of a remix of the first chapter, far more simplistic and with way too much scripting. Re-playing Half Life 2 has showed me how simply charming a game could be, and B2 simply lacks that magic (that the first one had in spades).

For this year, the top is Mass Effect 2 (which was insanely entertaining and intelligent).

Playing HL2: Episode one for the first time now. The charcter design of Alyx is still incredible, even at today's standards. I cant think of another virtual character with such a large scale of emotions and an abilty to connect with the player. I know that comes from extensive beta testing by the Valve workaholics, but i still find amazing how they managed to create a bunch of pixels that feels like an actual living (and extremely likeable, and i'm not talking about looks) person. Her animations and reactions give me the goosebumps.
I've restarted Bioshock now that 2K released a patch that sorta fixes most of the widescreen issue kindaish if I set it to 16:9. Too early to give real thoughts but I love the level design, hate having control taken away from me.

I noticed that the new steam redesign has added achievements to Half-Life 2 and Episode 1, that's a damn good excuse to go back to City 17.

Alyx makes me angry at other games; in a medium full of ridiculous adolescent sex objects with all the characterisation of a paper bag, she's a believable person that you empathise with and care about.

Quote:
On a sillier level, King's bounty is genius. Has the same nuttygoose approach to fantasy that the best King's Quest games had. ("You're probably the most intelligent and charming dwarf i ever met! And i say that cause i never met another dwarf! Farewell, my short friend!").
I bought this twice in one week but haven't been able to play much, I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
Gave a look at the Wolvering Origins game. Too repetitive and very frustrating.
Wolverine is a rushed, repetitive grab bag of the last five years of third person action games but it makes an ok rental and you can unlock his yellow and blue costume, which made the game 90% better.

Quote:
Pondering about Plant Vs Zombies. I know everyone loves it, but i dont really like that genre.
It's PopCap, it doesn't matter if you don't like the genre! There's a quick, free, limited flash demo here with a link to a downloadable trial. Give it a go.

It's on iPhone too but you'll get slowdown without a 3GS.

Last edited by standardman; 02-26-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #3179 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I've restarted Bioshock now that 2K released a patch that sorta fixes most of the widescreen issue kindaish if I set it to 16:9. Too early to give real thoughts but I love the level design, hate having control taken away from me..
The main problem, without spoiling anything, is that Bioshock 2 is.. welll.... 1)"Whoa. what an intro!" 2)"Well that's cool!" 3)"Wait that's it?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Alyx makes me angry at other games; in a medium full of ridiculous adolescent sex objects with all the characterisation of a paper bag, she's a believable person that you empathise with and care about. ..
The little touches are so cool. When she pulled the "Ha Ha! Gotcha!", i laughed. She reminds me of people i know. That's almost creepy.

Of course the fanboys of the net are watching her Lara Croft side (that's why i hate mods. I know they're cool, but nude pics of video game characters are something that lowers the public opinion about gaming). But she's an AI wonder.

It's kinda weird how Valve, that has created two of the most compelling viurtual characters ever (Alyx and GlaDOS), made a funny but paper thin game like L4D. I think that's because it's mostly a multiplayer game, and i havent played in depth yet, but it seemed so "light" in comparison to their standards.

That said, i'm postponing the moment i'll play HL2:ep2 because i know that there wont be anything for at least a couple of years (And that's a douche move from Valve, no matter how you justify it)

Then again we live in a world where Ragnar Tornquist has left us without April Ryan (The other greatest female character of gaming history). But also a world where Guybrush Threepwood is alive and well.

Last edited by Junkenstein; 02-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #3180 (permalink)

Quote:
The main problem, without spoiling anything, is that Bioshock 2 is.. welll.... 1)"Whoa. what an intro!" 2)"Well that's cool!" 3)"Wait that's it?"

The little touches are so cool. When she pulled the "Ha Ha! Gotcha!", i laughed. She reminds me of people i know. That's almost creepy.

Of course the fanboys of the net are watching her Lara Croft side (that's why i hate mods. I know they're cool, but nude pics of video game characters are something that lowers the public opinion about gaming). But she's an AI wonder.

It's kinda weird how Valve, that has created two of the most compelling viurtual characters ever (Alyx and GlaDOS), made a funny but paper thin game like L4D. I think that's because it's mostly a multiplayer game, and i havent played in depth yet, but it seemed so "light" in comparison to their standards.

That said, i'm postponing the moment i'll play HL2:ep2 because i know that there wont be anything for at least a couple of years (And that's a douche move from Valve, no matter how you justify it)
Haha, I know exactly the moment you mean and it made me laugh too and gave that nice mix of humour and tension. Have you seen the mods where they remodel her? just awful.

In L4D it is just a multiplayer thing but they do a lot of nice things in the sequel with expressions and dialogue without stopping your play.

I think Valve's episodic experiment was a failure and not at all suited to their style but it did give some more suited developers that extra bit of courage to try it out.