Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #2281 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleezy G View Post
I downloaded Splosion Man on Xbox arcade today. It's a pretty fun game, anyone have it, maybe we can hook up for some multiplayer.

Looks great, I miss Sonic.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #2282 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
How 'bout GTA IV?
Yeah, okay. I think someone who can go bowling with fake friends in a video game is enough of a nerd to appreciate a traditional fantasy setting.

The reason GTA has more emotive NPCs is because they have like 1/100th of the amount of NPCs in Oblivion, and yet still half the fucking dialog was bland and boring as shit.

And you want to talk about generic settings? Holy shit Liberty City SUCKS. That game was ruined by one of the most bland environments I've ever played in.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #2283 (permalink)

Quote:
How 'bout GTA IV?
The GTA IV NPCs don't really live lives - Oblivion characters do tasks/actions depending on what day and time it is. Plus every character is permanent/named with some element of allegiance and attitude towards you.

GTA IV has a good atmospheric feel as you're just walking around but the NPCs (outside of the main characters - nico's cousin etc) are just well executed scenery. They generate randomly and generally just dislike you/fear you. To be critical of GTA IV further, I feel the main characters were padded out with cut scenes - I don't feel making a movie counts as NPC interaction.

However, GTA IV NPC physical movement is somewhat better than Oblivion.

Last edited by gin_web; 08-06-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #2284 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Oblivion was fun when I originally played it a year ago. I've done most of the subplots (except assassins and vampire, of course), been all over the map... I was just done with it. I heard that the evil quests were decent, so I figured I'd give it another shot.

Since last year, they've improved the engine (ie- Fallout), and when I play I think both "Done this before" and "Fallout handled this better". Therein lies my problem with Oblivion. Great game for what it was, but not so much on the replay.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #2285 (permalink)

I been playing Civ Rev, Bioshock (on hard with vita chambers off), Worms A2, splosion man, and Rockband (drums).
Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #2286 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDevil View Post
Oblivion was fun when I originally played it a year ago. I've done most of the subplots (except assassins and vampire, of course), been all over the map... I was just done with it. I heard that the evil quests were decent, so I figured I'd give it another shot.

Since last year, they've improved the engine (ie- Fallout), and when I play I think both "Done this before" and "Fallout handled this better". Therein lies my problem with Oblivion. Great game for what it was, but not so much on the replay.
Ah, good, you are not a weirdo.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #2287 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Yeah, okay. I think someone who can go bowling with fake friends in a video game is enough of a nerd to appreciate a traditional fantasy setting.

The reason GTA has more emotive NPCs is because they have like 1/100th of the amount of NPCs in Oblivion, and yet still half the fucking dialog was bland and boring as shit.

And you want to talk about generic settings? Holy shit Liberty City SUCKS. That game was ruined by one of the most bland environments I've ever played in.
That's ridiculous. Liberty City is what makes GTA IV. That city is so packed full of details and back alleys and sights to see that you could wander for hours and not see it all, as opposed to being populated with random cave/mine #1 and #2 or an ongoing field with the occasional tree or wolf or goblin. And the pedestrians react to situations accordingly, they walk around the city having conversations with each other or on cell phones, they have jobs, and act hilariously as you nudge them around with your vehicle. And to talk about bland dialog, I can't believe you can ignore the absurd conversations in Oblivion. I laughed out loud several times watching my wife play that game.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #2288 (permalink)

Also, I really, really want to buy 'Splosion Man. That demo was fun as fuck.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #2289 (permalink)

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Liberty City is what makes GTA IV. That city is so packed full of details and back alleys and sights to see that you could wander for hours and not see it all, as opposed to being populated with random cave/mine #1 and #2 or an ongoing field with the occasional tree or wolf or goblin. And the pedestrians react to situations accordingly, they walk around the city having conversations with each other or on cell phones, they have jobs, and act hilariously as you nudge them around with your vehicle. And to talk about bland dialog, I can't believe you can ignore the absurd conversations in Oblivion. I laughed out loud several times watching my wife play that game.
Yeah, okay. Every piece of Liberty City looks the damn same. Seriously? You're thrilled by pedestrians?

Also, if by "watching my wife play that game" means you haven't actually played the fuckin' game, you really can't talk. I love GTA and The Elder Scrolls, and I have thoroughly digested the latest effort for both, while you're just another goon who doesn't like fantasy period, so have arbitrarily decided that Oblivion is wooden and sterile.

I'd rather listen to a whole room full of people talk about mudcrabs forever than get called one more FUCKING TIME to go bowling.

If I wasn't watching a cutscene in GTA IV, I was bored out of my skull, and halfway through that game I was bored out of my skull even then.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #2290 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDevil View Post

The Black Hand (assassins) is the best quest set in the entire game. I normally play as a sneaky character so it was one of the first lines I did and it was awesome.