Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 03-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #3321 (permalink)

Braid was awesome!

Good twist at the end too. Had me grabbing my hair.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #3322 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

I have an ATI HD5870 on the way from Newegg and can't wait to experience these games a bit better!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #3323 (permalink)

Playing Super Ghouls And Ghost (SNES) Still one of the hardest game out there for me. Took me all day to beat the first stage.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #3324 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I really enjoy knowing you, so it's all true
Me too dude. Exploding fistbumps.

Quote:
I never get how the game marketing works. Smart stuff usually builds an audience, watch Valve. But apparently most of the gamers are still mentally challenged teen witch itchy fingers that just want to blow up stuff (the fact that people love MW2 so much without questioning the fact that half the game is a series of cutscenes with almost no gameplay is telling.). And with that definition i'm also talking about fat obnoxious uber-nerds....

So the business sharks behind software houses probably want to make every game "a thrilling cinematic action ride with realistic combat). Even when the combat doesnt fit. It reminds of the sad saga of Broken Sword, in a way ("We will renew adventure games with thrilling action and cinematic stealth" and the series dies...).

The comments on Mirror's Edge i've read around the web were very telling...

"This game is stupid, why cant i shoot the guards"
"You cant jump it's impossible"

Sigh. The controls arent helpful also, but i got used to it...

The scene in the underground tube is awesome enough to make me forgive the messy trial and error moments

PS: BOOOOMER!!!
It's the same reason we get Transformers 2 - the lowest common denominator that appeals to the age range with the most expendable income wins out. Unfortunately, creativity and progress do not. EA took a big, uncharacteristic, risk on Mirror's Edge and Dead Space, kudos to them for that.

I just talked about this on facebook when I was asked why I hate Modern Warfare 2 so damn much. I'm lazy so I'll paste it in:

--

The single player is a brief, barely interactive, string of ancient mechanics tarted up with modern graphics and constant loud noise, just in case you attempt a house-of-cards-collapsing thought.

The story is a series of things the developers thought looked cool with a hideously misjudged, lazy, headline-grabbing level - crow-barred in after a snowmobile chase straight from a Bond movie - that claims to highlight moral choices but doesn't give you a single impactful choice of any kind.

The multiplayer is flat-out broken, allowing wildly unbalanced upgrades to those already winning and game breaking combinations of perks and loud outs.

And, yes, it's a half-assed console port that prohibits mods and dedicated servers from a company who made their name by making mods played on dedicated servers. It's essentially a 'fuck you' to the next generation of developers, closing the door Infinity Ward used to get in. And why? Control - to sell overpriced map packs for their overpriced game.

And, of course, the public made it the best-selling game of all time in the UK, and third best-selling game of all time in the U.S. ensuring that all this terrible shit will become example rather than warning.

--

Thankfully, the indie scene seems to be growing and thriving. It kind of reminds me of the 90s in comics; when mainstream superhero comics were ridiculously designed, roided-out cardboard cut-outs fighting each other in poorly drawn panels.
In reaction to this, creators outside the industry made unusual, thoughtful comics with interesting characters and found an audience in those frustrated by what the big publishers were shoveling. And, sure enough, once it started selling, this was adopted by mainstream comics.

I had another great game on Left 4 Dead 2 recently. Right on the last bridge on the last level, just as the helicopter arrived, we drowned in zombies. One of our team got clear and, as we were lying on our backs, shooting into the waves of infected, we told him to leave us behind and run for it. He barely made it and we died an honorable death. I'd never met or played with any of these people before; I love these moments in multiplayer games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangwire View Post
Lastly for death match fun with those spare 10 mins Quake live is awesome, runs in the browser QUAKE LIVE
You just reminded me that 1) Quake Live is brilliant 2) Quake III will never die 3) I haven't played since the beta. Need to remedy this. Who's up for some Quake Live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInfamousBiGD View Post
Playing Super Ghouls And Ghost (SNES) Still one of the hardest game out there for me. Took me all day to beat the first stage.
Crazy hard game! I've gone back to a few NES (fireNES!) and SNES games recently and I seem to be much worse at them than I was in my youth. It could just be my old man brain but I think modern games are so easy that we've actually gotten worse.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #3325 (permalink)

Still stuck on Modern Warfare 2. I can't break away from it!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #3326 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvc76 View Post
Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

I have an ATI HD5870 on the way from Newegg and can't wait to experience these games a bit better!

The card is amazing, Ryan! I got the Vapor-X version made by Sapphire. The thing is a monster. The day I installed it I loaded every game I have that is somewhat graphics intense and put every option to max (plus used Catalyst Control Center to force some higher settings on games that don't have the option). The next step I want to try after upgrading a few other things in my box is the triple monitor setup.

The only thing I've noticed that I sorta don't care for is in BC2 the maps load pretty slow with every setting maxed out. Well worth it imo for the updated scenery. However, BC2 is the only game that I've seen that happen with.

Other than Bad Company 2 I've been messing around on the Starcraft 2 beta. Sooo excited for that and Diablo 3 to be released. Unfortunately it's been so long since I played Starcraft at all I get my ass beat down right now.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #3327 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The second part of the pirandello kruger level in mirror's edge is probably the worstly designed level i've ever seen.

I mean, you're in a free running game and you build up a level where you're locked in aroom, unarmed, with four guys that kill you with one shot. One would think stealth, right? No, my friend. You cant hide and they kill you even if you crouch. I've been told by a person that solved it that you have to be lucky and disarm one of those fellas with the magnificent combat system. But it's a very rare chance since you die after half a second after you enter the room.

Fuck this game.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #3328 (permalink)

Can't believe I beat Standardman to this but...

Left 4 Dead 2 Half-off on Steam as part of their mid-week sale! Holy shit! I couldn't resist getting it. This may very well ruin any thought of being productive on my break.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #3329 (permalink)

Been playing alot of The Ballad of Gay Tony only have about 20% of missions left to complete and have been digging the story mode.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #3330 (permalink)

WoW - always and forever.
Star Craft 2 beta

just finished
Metro 2033, which i thoroughly enjoyed
CoD: Modern Warfare 1 and 2