Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #3251 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
Just picked up Shadow Complex today. That game seems mildly broken in some really entertaining ways. I like it.
Mildly broken ? That is like being mildly pregnant.

They finally resolved the autokicking problems in Bad company 2 yesterday and i have played quite alot , EVERY match have some "moments" in them where something funny or interesting happens.

Yesterday it was all about knife fights for me , i had a "stephen seagal" knifefight with a guy and we strafed around for several seconds until his buddy sniped me from the back. He didnt get my dogtags atleast .
5 min later we are at it again and he went in for the kill, and the game ended.
Win for my side.

By now some people have some more advanced gear, so we have the people proximity radars ,mortar bombardment and some airstrikes, ot everyone know how to use it or to tell the attacking team that airstrikes are incoming - so its hamburger hill all over again.

I also saw a really good chopperpilot with full crew of mechanics, that is one unstoppable deathmachine from above. We damaged it down to abot 20% health five times, but it just retreated for 30 seconds and we were back at square one again - well played good sir, well played.

All and all, a very fun game.Cudos to Dice, they really know how to make FPS war games fun.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #3252 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I wonder if the opening sentence is an actual quote from GlaDOS. That would be an interesting turn, because it would mean that she actually remembers what happened in the first portal (which could mean a completely different attitude and atmosphere, since her Jeffrey Dahmer like courtesy and emotional instability were part of her charm).

Geek note:

I wonder if the Borealis might fit into this.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #3253 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Geek note:

hmmmmmmm! that would be awesome. i crapped my pants a bit when i saw the connection between the two universes in hl2-ep 2. now i'll be disappointed if they don't delve in to that more.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #3254 (permalink)

Quote:
I wonder if the opening sentence is an actual quote from GlaDOS. That would be an interesting turn, because it would mean that she actually remembers what happened in the first portal (which could mean a completely different attitude and atmosphere, since her Jeffrey Dahmer like courtesy and emotional instability were part of her charm).

Geek note:

It is, there's more on that in the full article. She seems to retain her attitude towards you too.

I assumed that they'd be tying it into Half Life Episode 3 but it's set (Mild spoiler for Portal 2) hundreds of years after the first game, so I have no idea where that places it in relation to HL2.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #3255 (permalink)

That article made my salival glands dry up.

I need something to keep me occupied up to fall (which in valve time might be the next millenium)

Assassin's creed 2 is on everone's lips but the internet based protection is stupid and i really dislike the first one. I'd like to check Just Cause 2, bu there's no release date on steam besides a generic March 2010. I'll also get l4d 2 sooner or later. I love the first one as much as any other valve game. They manage to be cute in a game with zombies (and the structure of the levels reminds me so much of half life sometimes i fell my small heart crumble)

But nothing will be like the return of GlaDOS. Well, besides the return of Alyx, of course.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #3256 (permalink)

Quote:
I dont know why i didnt mention it ewarlier, but i've been plating also a good amount of the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. lately

Holy bejesus. Talk about an atmosphere that gets under your skin. is not an horror game yet it manages to horrify me and make me feel uncomfortable. Maybe it's that Tarkovsky like landscape (i think the title didnt came out of nowhere), all grey rusting despair and rotting sickness. Maybe it's the sickening realism of the whole thing.

I wont call it an entertaining game (and boy it's hard to get into it when you're used to the silly over the top antics of this last generation of games. In this world, a skeletal dog can kill you) but it's amazing nonetheless.
I feel like it's the antidote to the very consoley frantic, restricted shooter. Are you using the STALKER COMPLETE mod? It's one of my favourite games and even I never play it without that mod anymore. It cleverly makes you feel isolated and alone in a wasteland while always keep you on your guard. In terms of atomosphere, very few games can even touch it. Going out at night in particular is scary as hell.

Quote:
I am missing some good adventure games, though. Besides the episodic monkey island series, the stuff that came out lately is quite horrid. The last good game i played in that style was the very good Overclocked, a game that managed being fascinating to play AND pull out a weird and disdturbing story...
Have you played Ben There, Dan That? It's hilarious and free. It got a (not free) sequel called 'Time Gentlemen, Please'.

Quote:
I wouldnt say it has aged perfectly. It's definitely an older, more clunky game. It's insanely frustrating at times (Apparently back then Valve werent the kind hearted crowd plesers of today that create games according to player's response), in some parts in a very idiotic and old school way. The story is still amazing, but the charcters are non-existent (although i still have to understand if the babillion lookalike scientists that repoeat "Greetings co-worker" or "You still believe that chaos theory is wrong?" while zombies are eating them alive, were done that way on purpose or not).

That given, it still has that unique approach to action gaming where you have to both carefully plan every step and blow up stuff in creative ways. The genius is there, just a bit awkward.

Valvemaniac note: Their sense to detail still gets me. Using Mike Patton to voice the infected in L4D is pure genius. I dont think there is another being or machine capable to trasmit the feeling you get when your the Boomer's pre-vomit retchings.
I remember getting a lot of laughs out of watch the scientists run, die and babble. It's a stiff game by today's standards but really the start of shooters moving away from monster corridors towards scripting, AI behaviour and story.

Mike Patton is also the Anger Sphere in Portal. Guy likes games, I guess.

Quote:
Agreed, that's an interestingly dark turn. As Freeman thinks (aloud) in "Mind of Freeman":

"WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING ME? DO I LOOK LIKE AN ALIEN? AM I GREEN? THIS IS THE WORST RESCUE OPERATION EVEEEEER!"

It's still a delight anyway.

And, i have to admit, i'm a valve nerd all the way now. I even played "Lost coast".

It's all your fault Standardman. All. Your. Fault.
Those videos are game breakingly hilarious! Haha, always happy to turn someone on to Valve.

Quote:
That article made my salival glands dry up.

I need something to keep me occupied up to fall (which in valve time might be the next millenium)

Assassin's creed 2 is on everone's lips but the internet based protection is stupid and i really dislike the first one. I'd like to check Just Cause 2, bu there's no release date on steam besides a generic March 2010. I'll also get l4d 2 sooner or later. I love the first one as much as any other valve game. They manage to be cute in a game with zombies (and the structure of the levels reminds me so much of half life sometimes i fell my small heart crumble)

But nothing will be like the return of GlaDOS. Well, besides the return of Alyx, of course.
They have 2 years lead on Portal 2 so it may actually (dare I say it?) make the release date. It's hard to wait even until fall.

I've heard they loosened the DRM a bit (you start from exactly where you left) but that's irrelevant because it was cracked almost immediately anyway. There's a quote from Gabe Newell (yes, I know) about DRM saying the best way to beat piracy to offer a better service than piracy, Ubisoft could do with listening to that.

For Left 4 Dead 2, I'd wait until the DLC comes out as it's likely to 1) go on sale 2) have a free weekend.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #3257 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I feel like it's the antidote to the very consoley frantic, restricted shooter. Are you using the STALKER COMPLETE mod? It's one of my favourite games and even I never play it without that mod anymore. It cleverly makes you feel isolated and alone in a wasteland while always keep you on your guard. In terms of atomosphere, very few games can even touch it. Going out at night in particular is scary as hell..
No, i dont think so. I got it on the awesomeness that was Steam's Christmas deal but i guess it is the bare bone version.

It's a great game, but i have to play it when i'm in the right mood. Dear god, it's creepy and depressive.

Quote:
Have you played Ben There, Dan That? It's hilarious and free. It got a (not free) sequel called 'Time Gentlemen, Please'...
It's one the first downloads i did through steam but i havent played it yet. Love the simple and humorous amateur adventures but i would like too see something a bit ballsier once in a while. In the vein of Gabriel Knight... (oh, how i miss that series... I even bought the books...)

Quote:
Mike Patton is also the Anger Sphere in Portal. Guy likes games, I guess....
I interviwed him. He's one of those guys who has enough talent and cult following to be free to do whatever he wants and he has an omnivorous interest in anything. He also has an unnatural vocal range so he applies well when it comes to unnatural sounds (did also the infected in I Am Legend). But yeah he loves games and soundtracks.

He got also tricked into doing that shitty Bionic Commando remake.

Quote:
Those videos are game breakingly hilarious! Haha, always happy to turn someone on to Valve.....
The best thing you did was turning me to steam. I literally re-discovered games through that. I'm trying to push it towards friends, but i hang around too many snobby artists (and console players, puah)

Valve has something i didnt see since the golden age of 90s computer gaming. They love their fans and pay attention to detail. Everyona these days cares about how cool the graphics should be or whatever.

They just make the product perfect. It still boggles my mind how someone could have conceived something as mind-bending as portal, and yet how full of stuff you dont notice at first that game is. How quotable (there is NO line uttered by GlaDOS that isnt genius), how funny (the turrets are a game version of slapstick comedy) and how replayable it is.

Even Left 4 dead who looks simple has stuff that's ten thousand times better than the average horror crap.

They seem to love what they do more than the money they make. And my intense hatred for them after the ending of HL2-e2 was just a signal of how good the game was.

The problem is that they spoil you. Playing a mediocre shooter is boring as hell when you get used to their style...
Old 03-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #3258 (permalink)

Decided to buy some simple and mood enhancing games:

-World of Goo
-Plants vs Zombies

Playing portal again reminded me of how simply exhilarating is solving a simple and mind challenging game
Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #3259 (permalink)

Quote:

-World of Goo
-Plants vs Zombies

Playing portal again reminded me of how simply exhilarating is solving a simple and mind challenging game
Woot! for Plants vs. Zombies!

and Modern Warfare 2. I can't seem to stop!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #3260 (permalink)

Quote:
No, i dont think so. I got it on the awesomeness that was Steam's Christmas deal but i guess it is the bare bone version.

It's a great game, but i have to play it when i'm in the right mood. Dear god, it's creepy and depressive.
STALKER COMPLETE fixes a lot of bugs, adds a lot of the features that were going to be in the game and makes it look real pretty while keeping the core game the same. I recommend it over playing it vanilla, even first time around.

Quote:
I interviwed him. He's one of those guys who has enough talent and cult following to be free to do whatever he wants and he has an omnivorous interest in anything. He also has an unnatural vocal range so he applies well when it comes to unnatural sounds (did also the infected in I Am Legend). But yeah he loves games and soundtracks.

He got also tricked into doing that shitty Bionic Commando remake.
You interviewed him? Man, that's cool, he seems an interesting guy.

Quote:
The best thing you did was turning me to steam. I literally re-discovered games through that. I'm trying to push it towards friends, but i hang around too many snobby artists (and console players, puah)

Valve has something i didnt see since the golden age of 90s computer gaming. They love their fans and pay attention to detail. Everyona these days cares about how cool the graphics should be or whatever.
Hah, it's very hard to have a conversation with me about games without me recommending Steam. It's a terrific service, works as a library of games I can choose from and the sales allow me to take a punt on a game I probably wouldn't ordinary try. Hell, they're pretty much the platform's champion now since Microsoft failed with Games For Windows.

I think TF2 is the best example of how much they listen, iterate and slave over the details, it's not the same game it was when it was released.

Quote:
They just make the product perfect. It still boggles my mind how someone could have conceived something as mind-bending as portal, and yet how full of stuff you dont notice at first that game is. How quotable (there is NO line uttered by GlaDOS that isnt genius), how funny (the turrets are a game version of slapstick comedy) and how replayable it is.

Even Left 4 dead who looks simple has stuff that's ten thousand times better than the average horror crap.

They seem to love what they do more than the money they make. And my intense hatred for them after the ending of HL2-e2 was just a signal of how good the game was.

The problem is that they spoil you. Playing a mediocre shooter is boring as hell when you get used to their style...
Have you listened to their commentaries? I love that feature, it shows you just how much effort and care goes into every tiny thing in these games. When I see lazy crap like COD, I just can't be bothered with it.

Quote:

-World of Goo
-Plants vs Zombies

Two great games, you really can't go wrong there. This all reminds me, have you set up your steam profile page? It gives you something like this, with all your activity on and makes it easy for other people to join you or organise a game.