Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #3311 (permalink)

Balancing my time between God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII

God of War is amazing!!!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #3312 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I strongly reccomend evrything Standardman says because he's cool (his girlfriend is a 20 yo hottie, guys. And he's a geek. Learn, fuckers, learn)

In this case even more. "World of Goo" is poetic and sweet and with that extra oomph that inventive games had in the golden age. Like Lemmings. It's one of those games that's almost impossible to explain, but as soon as you start playing, everything is clear and addictive. Plus, it looks gorgeous and cute.

If anyone of you hasnt played "Longest Journey", you suck. It's the predecessor to Dreamfall and a much better and more intelligent game. A magnificient mood, with some super-detailed graphics, a sci-fi feeling that reminds me of China Miéville (ahem. Sorry, i geeked out) and some of the most human, complex and fascinating characters ever portrayed in a game. Mostly, April Ryan is, with Alyx Vance of HL2, the best female charcter ever created. Let Ragnar Tornquist break your heart.

"Sanitarium" is a great adventure game that accomplishes the task of dropping you in an early David Lynch movie. Deformed Children, rotting asylums, sentient insects, child abusing preachers, sadistic doctors, heaven and hell. And you play a disfigured asshole who spouts hatred at everyone he speaks to.

C'mon guys. Treat yourselves.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #3313 (permalink)

Mirror's Edge

Wow. What a polarizing game.

Like all very good ideas, this oscillates between genius and pure nerve wrecking chaos.
When you catch the good flow, you have an amazing thing that allows you to run, jump and soar in a vertigo inducing landscap that looks like a luc-besson nightmare. The beauty of the world you soar through makes you feel dizzy. And if things go right, it's somethi ng you have never seen anywhere else. As close as pure adrenaline as you can get.

But, man, when it crashes, it crashes loudly. See, you can run over skyscraper and jump around, but on your path you meet heavily armed enemies that a lot of the times, you cannot avoid. And you have to fight. And fight means, litterally, you have to press the right button in the space of a second or you die. That's it. Cant run away. Cant do combos (well you can but they wont do much) cant use weapons, mostly they'll use em against you. You just die, unless you do tyhe forementioned, quick burst button pushing. And the run is blocked. The rush is interrupted.

Thr game has other flaws, like the fact that you generally have a very rigid path to follow and cannot deviate from that. But none of those is as frustarting as that fucking trial and error combat.

But between those giant block of unfun, there's a great game. Hopefully it will be improved.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #3314 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I strongly reccomend evrything Standardman says because he's cool (his girlfriend is a 20 yo hottie, guys. And he's a geek. Learn, fuckers, learn)

In this case even more. "World of Goo" is poetic and sweet and with that extra oomph that inventive games had in the golden age. Like Lemmings. It's one of those games that's almost impossible to explain, but as soon as you start playing, everything is clear and addictive. Plus, it looks gorgeous and cute.

If anyone of you hasnt played "Longest Journey", you suck. It's the predecessor to Dreamfall and a much better and more intelligent game. A magnificient mood, with some super-detailed graphics, a sci-fi feeling that reminds me of China Miéville (ahem. Sorry, i geeked out) and some of the most human, complex and fascinating characters ever portrayed in a game. Mostly, April Ryan is, with Alyx Vance of HL2, the best female charcter ever created. Let Ragnar Tornquist break your heart.

"Sanitarium" is a great adventure game that accomplishes the task of dropping you in an early David Lynch movie. Deformed Children, rotting asylums, sentient insects, child abusing preachers, sadistic doctors, heaven and hell. And you play a disfigured asshole who spouts hatred at everyone he speaks to.

C'mon guys. Treat yourselves.
These words are nice words, thank you man. And you're absolutely right about the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Mirror's Edge

Wow. What a polarizing game.

Like all very good ideas, this oscillates between genius and pure nerve wrecking chaos.
When you catch the good flow, you have an amazing thing that allows you to run, jump and soar in a vertigo inducing landscap that looks like a luc-besson nightmare. The beauty of the world you soar through makes you feel dizzy. And if things go right, it's somethi ng you have never seen anywhere else. As close as pure adrenaline as you can get.

But, man, when it crashes, it crashes loudly. See, you can run over skyscraper and jump around, but on your path you meet heavily armed enemies that a lot of the times, you cannot avoid. And you have to fight. And fight means, litterally, you have to press the right button in the space of a second or you die. That's it. Cant run away. Cant do combos (well you can but they wont do much) cant use weapons, mostly they'll use em against you. You just die, unless you do tyhe forementioned, quick burst button pushing. And the run is blocked. The rush is interrupted.

Thr game has other flaws, like the fact that you generally have a very rigid path to follow and cannot deviate from that. But none of those is as frustarting as that fucking trial and error combat.

But between those giant block of unfun, there's a great game. Hopefully it will be improved.
It's baffling that, after creating something so beautiful and different and exhilarating that they'd literally throw in road blocks against the game's strengths. Maybe they had to put combat in there to make it sell but needs a refined sequel.

As for what I've been playing, I played a few matches of Left 4 Dead 2. The first game I leapt in to was right at the Dark Carnival finale, they'd been stuck for a while and it's always great to dive in and help a team win.

The second was on the first level with someone playing for the first time, we had a lot of fun chatting to him about his first impressions and listening to his surprise on new discoveries. He backed me up at the car as I grabbed the petrol cans and he even got to pour the last one in, winning us the round.

Left 4 Dead 2 in particular reminds me why I love playing multiplayer on PC, rather than Xbox Live - it's largely a friendly, fun environment with people who work together.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #3315 (permalink)

Anybody wanna play borderlands with me?

On Xbox live: Madeyeshawn
Old 03-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #3316 (permalink)

Finished up Heavy Rain today.

Can't say I have the urge to play through it again unless I go through it killing as many people as possible! Pretty fun, though. I cheated once (as in... accidentally shooting a suspect when I meant to .. not shoot the suspect) by restarting the system before a game save. Probably would have been more interesting if I hadn't. It's strange, though, how there were moments I was plagued by indecision... weighing all the possibilities before taking an action in the split second the game gave you to make a decision.

One of my big issues was that in a no pressure no stress situation, I could hardly distinguish the options given by the square and circle buttons. So there were a few times I would want to do one option, but clicking another cause I mixed up the shapes. When things got stressful, the buttons would shake or shimmer which I think is an excellent way to make the player kinda feel the emotion.

And I do agree with one review I read (or heard... could have been zero punctuation) is that while important... I didn't necessarily feel for the fat guy's story. Not at all like Ethan's. Quanticdream definitely outdid themselves with Ethan's story.

Eh... all I got! Cheers!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #3317 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
These words are nice words, thank you man. .
I really enjoy knowing you, so it's all true

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
It's baffling that, after creating something so beautiful and different and exhilarating that they'd literally throw in road blocks against the game's strengths. Maybe they had to put combat in there to make it sell but needs a refined sequel..
I never get how the game marketing works. Smart stuff usually builds an audience, watch Valve. But apparently most of the gamers are still mentally challenged teen witch itchy fingers that just want to blow up stuff (the fact that people love MW2 so much without questioning the fact that half the game is a series of cutscenes with almost no gameplay is telling.). And with that definition i'm also talking about fat obnoxious uber-nerds....

So the business sharks behind software houses probably want to make every game "a thrilling cinematic action ride with realistic combat). Even when the combat doesnt fit. It reminds of the sad saga of Broken Sword, in a way ("We will renew adventure games with thrilling action and cinematic stealth" and the series dies...).

The comments on Mirror's Edge i've read around the web were very telling...

"This game is stupid, why cant i shoot the guards"
"You cant jump it's impossible"

Sigh. The controls arent helpful also, but i got used to it...

The scene in the underground tube is awesome enough to make me forgive the messy trial and error moments

PS: BOOOOMER!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #3318 (permalink)

Thinking of this list made me think I have too many games on the go

Bioshock 2, enjoying it enough but its not got the ‘have to finish this’ feeling or more importantly the ‘got to slow down playing this because I don’t want it to be over’ appeal

Modern warfare 2, because shooting folk is never more fun

Infamous: Its ok, waiting for the powers to develop, problem Is that the enemies can see you from VERY far away and shoot you in the face, bit frustrating that

Uncharted 2: Brilliant, somehow I am in a film.

Lastly for death match fun with those spare 10 mins Quake live is awesome, runs in the browser QUAKE LIVE
Old 03-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #3319 (permalink)

True bromance.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #3320 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangwire View Post
Bioshock 2, enjoying it enough but its not got the ‘have to finish this’ feeling or more importantly the ‘got to slow down playing this because I don’t want it to be over’ appeal
I found BioShock more enjoyable honestly. I liked the factor of surrogate father and protecting Eleanor, but I think it fell slightly behind in story and level design.