Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #1261 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
damn.... remind me to bring a shit ton of used games when i visit the AU and NZ
Now if only they weren't PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnihilism View Post
I've been told that getting the 100$ adapter to get on 360 Live is a bad idea because it lags. A lot. Is it worth it to add an extra bill and pay for internet? Someone also told me something about getting a wire that goes from the cable box straight into the 360 which would give me a perfect connection (without having to pay for internet?)???
You'll have problems if the connection is being used heavily, or if they're doing ANY uploading. That's what kills the entire situation. If I'm torrenting and I have any uploads going, it causes my game to lag all over the place. Get a cheap, dedicated connection and if you play online, turn off torrents, or block the uploads to 25kbps and you'll be gold.

I have a buddy that, even wired, suffers the same problem due to a poor dedicated connection. So if you're sharing, it's going to be a problem unless the connection is A--M--A--ZING

Quote:
hmm, can you get wifi from him right now? if yes, ping it using this site and post your speed here.

here's my speed, going through one wall and having a few other devices sharing the connection.

ANYWAYS... point is, if you get good speed going through the floor, then you should be fine getting the $100 wireless thingy.
....... REally? HOly balls. Mikey, I expected your techguru self to have a better connection than that.

And sure you can play COD just fine, it's a different game than Gears with less player/movement textures. FPS games are always better in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudell View Post
XD

I wish my upload was better, but I don't know how it is effecting me

sometimes I'll be Hording and the game will disconnect and everyone's fun is ruined. fucking boo!
Upload speeds bugger things up because it bottlenecks the speed of data being sent from YOU. It's a pain, and you having a lot of stuff going on probably is the issue. It's better if you have over 500kb/s available. Wouldn't be a bad idea to turn everything off before playing. Scheduler + Utorrent = best thing ever.

As for my speed, although upload is balls - I think I rape with download

I'm paying a ton, but I haz no cap.

And on another note, Fallout 3 sucks. I'm sorry, but I have the same issues with it that I did with Oblivion. The characters, envrionments, movements, textures are all flat and boring. The fact that I can run into a bar and kill 5 patrons and have the rest of the people just wandering around going "doo doeodooo" is stupid.

It completely snubs the rest of the Fallout games. Bew.

Anyone want to buy it from me?? 360 version, BTW

Last edited by andsoitgoes; 01-12-2009 at 01:13 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #1262 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
And on another note, Fallout 3 sucks.

Couldn't disagree more. It's a fantastic game.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #1263 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Soul View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's a fantastic game.
tis where you and I disagree. I just don't get it. It's flat, boring, bland and way too complex for its own good. I at least appreciate the complexity for people that enjoy that.

What I'd like to see argued is the character models and how flat the conversation/conversation animations are. Those are huge deal breakers for me. Every minute playing the game I kept thinking "I'd rather be playing anything else" and "Mass Effect was everything this game isn't"

I was never engaged, never interested - although it was better than the "Zoom into the face and completely take me out of this being a different world" conversation system of Oblivion - it wasn't by much.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #1264 (permalink)

Quote:
Upload speeds bugger things up because it bottlenecks the speed of data being sent from YOU. It's a pain, and you having a lot of stuff going on probably is the issue. It's better if you have over 500kb/s available. Wouldn't be a bad idea to turn everything off before playing. Scheduler + Utorrent = best thing ever.

Anyone want to buy it from me?? 360 version, BTW
I do close down connections before going to XBL, except my sister's computer, which is always on. It's going to be even worse soon because I am buying her a Roku (so she can GTFO of my xbox and I can begin serious playing. So then I will be trying to GoW horde while she is watching one of her 200+ instant queue moves DX

ALSO! i will totally take you up on your Fallout offer. It is on my list of games to buy/try.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #1265 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
anyone looking to dump a copy of gow 2? otherwise i'll troll ebay.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #1266 (permalink)

Quote:
tis where you and I disagree. I just don't get it. It's flat, boring, bland and way too complex for its own good. I at least appreciate the complexity for people that enjoy that.

What I'd like to see argued is the character models and how flat the conversation/conversation animations are. Those are huge deal breakers for me. Every minute playing the game I kept thinking "I'd rather be playing anything else" and "Mass Effect was everything this game isn't"

I was never engaged, never interested - although it was better than the "Zoom into the face and completely take me out of this being a different world" conversation system of Oblivion - it wasn't by much.
Well, the human character models and animations are probably the weakest aspect of the game, but the VO is by and large of such quality that it never particularly bothered me. I stayed pretty immersed.

The plot development and the set pieces, however, are fantastic. And yes, the environment might initially have struck me as boring/bland, but then I got down into the muck and mire and started to realize just what an amazing level of detail Bethsoft put into making an authentic post-nuclear wasteland. I also absolutely love the 50s ambience running through the game world.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #1267 (permalink)

I could not tolerate the first two Fallout games. I still have them and they're happily collecting dust. I never understood turn-based RPG games, so naturally, I appreciate the first-person perspective of Fallout 3 that much more. I'm heavily into post-apocalyptic topics, so naturally I find the game to pretty much nail it on the head. The expansive non-linear environment is also a plus for me; I hate to be forced to be confined into tight area because the games programmers didn't want me to explore (a la "there's a small fence blocking this path to this other part of the world I can clearly see"). Yes, it's big and yes, walking long distances for long periods of time can be tedious, but let's be honest, if the world above yours was wiped out from a nuclear holocaust, do you really think the most convenient buildings and areas would be within a stones throw of each other? I like seeing a partially destroyed building far in the hazy horizon and then do a 180 and see the building I just walked from.

Yes, the animations are a little clunky sometimes, but this is a minor nitpick in a game of so many other pros. Deus Ex had terrible character animation, even for its time, and it remains as one of my favorite games of all time.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #1268 (permalink)

Quote:
anyone looking to dump a copy of gow 2? otherwise i'll troll ebay.
nevar! <~HORDE~3
Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #1269 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Yes, it's big and yes, walking long distances for long periods of time can be tedious, but let's be honest, if the world above yours was wiped out from a nuclear holocaust, do you really think the most convenient buildings and areas would be within a stones throw of each other? I like seeing a partially destroyed building far in the hazy horizon and then do a 180 and see the building I just walked from.
YESSSS

This is one of the only games where I've had so much fun just walking from one place to another. You might come across a group of hungry, homeless ghouls, or some bandits attacking a caravan, or a lost child trying to find his way back to his father. It's stunning, and executed so well. Sometimes even when I didn't come across some random, fascinating occurrence I still found myself in awe of the environment.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #1270 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudell View Post
nevar! <~HORDE~3
mm... horde. I have a friend, the fucker, who is in the top 10 of Horde on Pavillion. I hate him. So much. I just never have ENOUGH time to devote to a long enough session. But that's the one mode where lag usually is never an issue as long as a person with a good connection hosts ^_^

Have you gotten your full Horde achievement? It wasn't until that point that my testicles dropped ^_^

-----

As for Fallout and walking - if you're going to make an expansive, IMMERSIVE world - then why allow for "quick travel" from one location to another

It removes that whole idea behind it. And I highly, HIGHLY doubt that people are just wandering all over the place.

Okay, more things then...
  • Why when I'm looking anywhere at something that COULD be taken, when it's thieveable do I immediately get random people chastising me for looking at a cup on the table.
  • WHY is there no reaction to serious events that occur around these people, except for maybe a one-off situation?
  • There is NO emotion shown on the faces of the enemies you fight, it's either on or off, and there's a serious lack of emotion shown on the faces of most NPCs
  • I understand bleak and deserted wasteland. But look at bioshock, THAT is how to do destroyed 50's era. I know that the size of Fallout is far lower than Bioshock and that the world is "destroyed" but fer fucks sake, Mad Max looks like a Looney Tune cartoon in comparison. The only color I see is when I try to pick up something that I'd steal, or the odd spurts of blood from someone's head.
  • And I'm sorry, the character models make up a HUGE portion of immersion in the world. It's why I don't think I can get into Uncharted. I'd PREFER text based over this "milquetoast" world.
  • BUT REALLY, why can I steal a cup? Or a saucer? WHY?? If you go on about how it adds realisim, please see all previous points that remove any sense of realism from the game.

I understand I'm in the minority, but jebus if you don't at least ACKNOWLEDGE that there are serious flaws that would detract a non-Oblivion style lover from the game, then... oy!